Free Agent # 6: Joe Daniher - derp Brisbane player

A bit early for that deduction yet for me. Not good for football if so though. I was looking forward to seeing Curnow and McKay.
Hopefully nothing too serious, two exciting young players

People clinging onto Joe being dominant for us this year are kidding themselves. He isn't even running and wont influence this year.

We need to structure up without him and plan for the future, he won't influential in 2019 and will be wearing a different jumper in 2020.
It’s still November and they said he should be running in a couple of weeks

60sbomber

Club Legend
Jul 4, 2011
Frankston
AFL Club
Essendon
There are lots of variables in what might happen with Joe over the next 12mths plus.
Making a best guess, I predict that he will have a patchy season this year. Maybe only a short pre season with severe modification of his workload, pulling back every time he feels at all sore. Maybe play a few games starting about May, miss a few, nursing him all the time, and his form reflecting the amount of training he has done and the fact that he hasn't played regularly for 2 yrs. In short, not much of a year, taking only modest steps to getting back.
At the end of the year, he will go to the Swans as a free agent (for significantly less than $1m a year) and we will get a compensation pick in the first round depending where we finish.
In short, we won't get much more from Joe, and we need to replace him.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
I can understand why some are full negative that we won't get much from Joe this year. Its certainly a reasonable opinion. I personally reckon even if he's not at peak fitness he will still be a good target for us and will significantly improve our structure just by making sure lots of balls come to ground even if he's not kicking bags.

So I'd be happy if he can regularly get out there on the park for 16-18+ games. Not running in November isn't that big of a worry. If he's running somewhere in December and can build steadily from there that's not a terrible outcome. Its all about whether he has further setbacks or not.

I don't expect to see peak Joe but I reckon we could still maybe get 35-40 goals from him and a good target most weeks. I don't think that's too outlandish.

Jan 31, 2012
patterson lakes
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
I don’t think it’s all doom & gloom, but ultimately think his decision will depend on the relative success we have as a side. If it’s a run of the mill effort we’re all used to, then he’ll certainly go & I’ll be ok with it. If we threaten, I doubt he leaves.

I also doubt he’ll self preserve all year. If he thinks sitting out essentially 3 years in a row will be beneficial to him, then he may as well retire now.

vass44

Team Captain
Sep 17, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Given Joe has played just 11 games in the last 2 years and is still not back to full training I wouldn’t expect he’d play any more 12 - 15 games in 2020. If that’s the case and he gets his average of 1.8 goals a game then we can expect 20 - 30 goals out of him next year before he packs off and heads up to Sydney (or retires). We should be planning now to try somehow find a less injury prone key forward with a goal average of 2.5+ a game - but unfortunately they do not grow on trees ☹️

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I hope the club isn't scared of getting him on the field mid season if it needs to be that way.

Give him half a season to play lights out football and get himself either a big contract offer and us some compensation or a love for being around the club again.

We have the future off field in place so there should be no rush to bring him back and we should not be using his return as a membership vehicle.
I'd want him cherry ripe at the end of the year vs the start.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
My 2020 predictions
- Won't make a decision on 2021 and beyond until the end of the season. New fitness staff along with Joe's increased rehab work over the summer will provide a strong base for the year
- will play 20 games (rested for the other two+ games)
- 64 goals 39 behinds
- Group of 40 for AA
- 3rd in B/F
- Sydney will offer a contract which we will match

Oct 22, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Essendon
- doesn't play in 2020
- takes a mid July "holiday" overseas which is more a temporary residential move
- press release from his manager during finals that Joe intends to "walk away from the game" and bears no ill will toward the club
- releases a line of fashion headwear and accessories, which gains initial traction but is ultimately unsuccessful
- briefly entertains the idea of a football comeback with the swans in 2023
- intends on suing Essendon with the matter settled out of court for an undisclosed sum

BigEast

Debutant
Dec 2, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
- doesn't play in 2020
- takes a mid July "holiday" overseas which is more a temporary residential move
- press release from his manager during finals that Joe intends to "walk away from the game" and bears no ill will toward the club
- releases a line of fashion headwear and accessories, which gains initial traction but is ultimately unsuccessful
- briefly entertains the idea of a football comeback with the swans in 2023
- intends on suing Essendon with the matter settled out of court for an undisclosed sum
- plays first game in 2020 on Anzac Day, wins Anzac medal, kicking 4.7, GOTY & MOTY contender
- rested the following week as 'maintenance', re-injures groin at training, rested for the remainder of the year
- relocates to Sydney in October to take up duties as Movember ambassador
- resides with Tom Harley; matter of convenience.
- Tom Harley knows nothing of the arrangement
- Charlie Gardiner confirms arrangement
- permanently relocates to Ungarie to escape the Sydney bubble
- Captain Coach Ungarie F.C. 2021 kicking 151.321
- loses GF, injures groin in last five minutes, retires from football permanently
- relocates to Central Tilba to escape Ungarie bubble.

Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
My 2020 predictions
- Won't make a decision on 2021 and beyond until the end of the season. New fitness staff along with Joe's increased rehab work over the summer will provide a strong base for the year
- will play 20 games (rested for the other two+ games)
- 64 goals 39 behinds
- Group of 40 for AA
- 3rd in B/F
- Sydney will offer a contract which we will match

If Joe kicks 64 goals and only gets him 3rd in the BnF... 1st and 2nd must've been impressive.

hurlygurdy

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Fair to say we will know a lot more in the next few weeks. If he is not back to running before Christmas then we really can start feasting on the goo.

stuff the cotton wool - if hes Sydney bound lets run him into the ground ;)

like that hire car you took over speed bumps at 120kmh - eh, itll buff out i'm sure

Yeah the hire car with the massive $5000 insurance excess because you didn't waive it. Ends up costing you.

We break him too early or he has a noticeable setback it hurts us with compensation.

The best case scenario is he lights it up, helps us accomplish something on field and then walks for the absolute maximum compo either via trade or AFL compensation.

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Yeah the hire car with the massive $5000 insurance excess because you didn't waive it. Ends up costing you.

We break him too early or he has a noticeable setback it hurts us with compensation.

The best case scenario is he lights it up, helps us accomplish something on field and then walks for the absolute maximum compo either via trade or AFL compensation.

Didn't we pay the excess at the start of the last contract?

Skippys sudden departure says he wasn’t a bloke we’d want around Daniher.
Very harsh on Skipworth. What evidence do you have that this was the case? It was sudden because Tarkyn Lockyer accepted an AFL role and in turn Pies appointed Skip to Head of Academy.

Back