Free Agent # 6: Joe Daniher - derp Brisbane player

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
Very harsh on Skipworth. What evidence do you have that this was the case? It was sudden because Tarkyn Lockyer accepted an AFL role and in turn Pies appointed Skip to Head of Academy.

You don’t abandon your post day one of preseason. You’ve had all off season to move on, you’ve committed to the cause. It’s an unprofessional move.

- plays first game in 2020 on Anzac Day, wins Anzac medal, kicking 4.7, GOTY & MOTY contender
- rested the following week as 'maintenance', re-injures groin at training, rested for the remainder of the year
- relocates to Sydney in October to take up duties as Movember ambassador
- resides with Tom Harley; matter of convenience.
- Tom Harley knows nothing of the arrangement
- Charlie Gardiner confirms arrangement
- permanently relocates to Ungarie to escape the Sydney bubble
- Captain Coach Ungarie F.C. 2021 kicking 151.321
- loses GF, injures groin in last five minutes, retires from football permanently
- relocates to Central Tilba to escape Ungarie bubble.
10/10

Jul 15, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Celtics, Colts, Renegades
- plays first game in 2020 on Anzac Day, wins Anzac medal, kicking 4.7, GOTY & MOTY contender
- rested the following week as 'maintenance', re-injures groin at training, rested for the remainder of the year
- relocates to Sydney in October to take up duties as Movember ambassador
- resides with Tom Harley; matter of convenience.
- Charlie Gardiner confirms arrangement
- permanently relocates to Ungarie to escape the Sydney bubble
- Captain Coach Ungarie F.C. 2021 kicking 151.321
- loses GF, injures groin in last five minutes, retires from football permanently
- relocates to Central Tilba to escape Ungarie bubble.
- Relocates to Sydney for ‘lifestyle’ reasons
- Resides with Tom Harley; matter of convenience
- Marries Tom Harley
- Adopts two children (a boy and a girl) with Tom Harley
- The boy, named Tom Harley Jnr, gets draft by Sydney as part of their academy
- Charlie Gardner confirms the arrangement

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
Doesn't necessarily follow that that has anything to do with JD though.

Sure but it’s such an unprofessional decision it makes you question his decision making and buy in entirely. I don’t want someone who doesn’t buy in to be anywhere near Daniher let alone be his line coach.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
Sure but it’s such an unprofessional decision it makes you question his decision making and buy in entirely. I don’t want someone who doesn’t buy in to be anywhere near Daniher let alone be his line coach.
Ah, I thought you were suggesting Skippy was pushed or encouraged to go due to some social or professional issue with Joe.

Its a lateral move at best. Even still you’ve committed and the timing and manner is unprofessional.
Not really it was an upgraded position with more dollars and the chance to work in a new system under the so called guru. They head hunted him and he left. It happens.

As far as Joe goes. Not getting my hopes up. Has still had issues when his training load has increased which is why he has stopped running again . He now has bugger all fitness base, has to be managed for the rest of his career and for a bloke who relies on jumping and pace of the mark it is the worst type of injury to have. My personal view is that even though Sydney where offering pick 5 and we wanted players for the now maybe we would have been better taking 9 and a next years first. If Joe does not get up and running to near 3/4 of his best then we will have made the wrong call.

fairbump_playon

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
786D3523-2DAC-491E-AF72-C40359E830B5.jpeg

Footy bubble at Meredith

Jan 31, 2012
patterson lakes
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Still a fair way off training I see? Haven’t really engaged in the joe show since the trade fell through, but did we actually ever ascertain what the best offer Sydney ponied up un/officially?

Was 5 & 9 ever on the table? Or just Chinese whispers?

Still a fair way off training I see? Haven’t really engaged in the joe show since the trade fell through, but did we actually ever ascertain what the best offer Sydney ponied up un/officially?

Was 5 & 9 ever on the table? Or just Chinese whispers?

#9 and next year first was the best it got.

The only player offered was Papley, but not with those picks.

The problem with the JD potential trade was unrealistic expectations placed by EFC - You were never going to get a JD replacement from the 2019 or probably the 2020 draft - Missed a golden opportunity to move on a disgruntled player for good draft capital.

Jan 31, 2012
patterson lakes
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
The problem with the JD potential trade was unrealistic expectations placed by EFC - You were never going to get a JD replacement from the 2019 or probably the 2020 draft - Missed a golden opportunity to move on a disgruntled player for good draft capital.

Good draft capital?

Pick 9 & 25? I’d barely call that good draft capital. The problem was Sydney’s unrealistic expectations that they could low ball us.

And you’re right, there was no adequate replacement in this year’s draft, so the draft capital was diminished even further.

Last edited:
Good draft capital?

Pick 9 & 25? I’d barely call that good draft capital. The problem was Sydney’s unrealistic expectations that they could low ball us.

And you’re right, there was no adequate replacement in this year’s draft, so the draft capital was diminished even further.
If he is cooked, that deal looks much better. Sydney may have dodged a bullet. Time will tell I guess.

Back