Free Agent # 6: Joe Daniher - derp Brisbane player

Remove this Banner Ad

What we've paid him is absolutely irrelevant. This whole "We paid him and he's been injured so he owes us" belief is garbage.

Owes us nothing, just more reason to stick to his contract.

Because it’s a contract ie I have agreed to play with your club until end of 2020.

Ever right to ask if he can leave, just as we have every right to say no.

In my opinion, for a guy who’s hardly played for 2 years it’s a bit rich. Don’t have to agree with it.

Because it’s a contract ie I have agreed to play with your club until end of 2020.

Ever right to ask if he can leave, just as we have every right to say no.

In my opinion, for a guy who’s hardly played for 2 years it’s a bit rich. Don’t have to agree with it.
Sounds like you're saying he owes the club.

Well in some ways I think he owes it to the club to see out his contract. Bit of an exception in this case would you think?
No. Hence why I said what I did.

Another possible advantage of keeping Joe and it’s a long shot. But if he has a good year (50+ goals) and by some minuscule chance Jeremy Cameron wants to come home next year, could be an easy straight swap if Joe still wants to head to Sydney.

His reasons for wanting to leave were immature ( he wants to enjoy Sydney lifestyle ), and was evasive about his trip to Sydney. We should have offered to trade him to the Giants for Jeremy Cameron. Direct trade, no draft picks, etc. Hasta la vista, baby!

His reasons for wanting to leave were immature ( he wants to enjoy Sydney lifestyle ), Anne was evasive about his trip to Sydney. We should have offered to trade him to the Giants for Jeremy Cameron. Direct trade, no draft picks, etc. Hasta la vista, baby!

who is Anne and can we include her in a package to bring Josh Kelly home?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the best result for Joe and the club. I think he saw a little oppurtunity to pocket 4 mil and with his last 2 years of uncertainty he went for it. I would've as well. I dont think there is much in the 'melbourne bubble' excuse. If he played 22 games and we'd won a final or 2 there is no way he'd have asked to go. Now the hard work must be done to secure his next pay day and i dont think he would've missed BJs little dig about dedication to rehab. His manager spoke very well and basically just said Joe knows what is required and he'll be having a full crack, no cam mccarthy sooking. The boys will get around him in a big way, especially Zach, and we've had success in turning around Francis and in keeping key players at the club. If he gets back on the park consistently and the team performs i feel very confident he will resign long term.

Harley’s SEN interview is more deflecting spin. Says that Sydney had discussions around the industry to try and find Essendon a solution. Well Tom Essendon provided you with the solution they wanted, you choose not to engage in a player exchange.
Much the same as what Dodoro said on the same show a bit later.

I mean it gels with the idea that someone asked about Mason Cox potentially going to Essendon..

How Essendon plans to mend bridges with Joe Daniher
Operation: Mend the bridge with Joe Daniher has already been enacted at Essendon, with the Bombers planning to pull out all the stops to make him fall back in love with the red and black — and stay on after 2020.

Essendon players and powerbrokers will quickly throw their arms around spearhead Joe Daniher to erase any lingering embarrassment or disappointment from his failed trade request.
The club is planning to rally around the gun goal kicker when he returns from an overseas holiday in a fortnight and resumes his recovery from his nightmare groin problems at training next month.

Senior Essendon figures including coach-in-waiting Ben Rutten plan to meet with Daniher to help address any ongoing concerns he has with the club after asking to join Sydney Swans.

Importantly, the Bombers are confident its revamped strength and conditioning department will help the 25-year-old return to his best next season and steer it towards a drought-breaking finals win.

Daniher could also be removed from the leadership group if it helps him focus on his own recovery after two injury-plagued seasons.

Essendon list chief Adrian Dodoro yesterday said the healing has already begun after a 40-minute phone call with the father-son gem to explain the call to keep him.

Dodoro said the motivation behind Daniher’s trade request “was about lifestyle” rather than any specific club issues.

“The great thing is every single player at the club is rapt that he is staying and have reached out,” Dodoro said on SEN.

“He’ll have the love and support of everyone at the club.

“He does not have an issue with anyone at the Essendon Football Club.

“It’s about lifestyle for him and wanting to change environments — that’s our reading of it.”

Dodoro said the Swans refused to officially put pick five on the table for Daniher, instead offering pick nine and a future first-rounder.

Essendon has steadily built its list in the wake of the crippling drugs crisis and was not prepared to cede Daniher without a replacement star player from the Swans, such as Nick Blakey.

But Dodoro was optimistic the club can change Daniher’s mind about leaving again next year once he helps the Bombers win games in 2020.

Daniher will qualify for free agency next year, but the Bombers could match a bid from the Swans to secure more attractive compensation.

It’s what Adelaide did to claim multiple picks and a player from Geelong for Paddy Dangerfield in 2015.

“He put his case forward and we just couldn’t get the deal done in the end and he understands the reasons why,” Dodoro said.

“Obviously he’s going to be a little bit disappointed, but by the same token we know he’ll get up tomorrow and the sun will shine, and we’re looking forward to him having a great year next year.

“We think that we’re in a terrific window and hopefully the excitement of 2020 will help Joey overcome his disappointment and he is with us for many years to come.”

Harley’s SEN interview is more deflecting spin. Says that Sydney had discussions around the industry to try and find Essendon a solution. Well Tom Essendon provided you with the solution they wanted, you choose not to engage in a player exchange.

I think a preferred position has been reached for both clubs this year although not the player. Sydney made an overly generous bid for a player reportedly keen to get there and EFC asked for the farm. The media sold a lot of Frank Walker ads so I guess they were happy.

He will as like as not walk in twelve months to Sydney without costing them draft picks. Depending on the year he has, EFC will receive anywhere between a first Round Compo and a third Round Compo pick. And of course he may change his mind.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back