Free Agent # 6: Joe Daniher (part 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No they haven't. I love Joe, but franklin in his pomp would be slamming through 8, 10 or 13 goals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He said the last five games. Taking your figures, has Franklin ever kicked 40 goals in a five week block? 50 in five? 65 in five?

I don't think ZP was talking about goal tallies anyway.

He said the last five games. Taking your figures, has Franklin ever kicked 40 goals in a five week block? 50 in five? 65 in five?

Thirty is his best over a five week period.

Franklin has been remarkably good though at consistently kicking four or five goals.

And as an Essendon fan, if you don't have a healthy fear respect for Lance Franklin, you haven't been paying attention...

Thirty is his best over a five week period.

Franklin has been remarkably good though at consistently kicking four or five goals.

And as an Essendon fan, if you don't have a healthy fear respect for Lance Franklin, you haven't been paying attention...
I agree, with many horrific memories clear in my mind.

8, 10 or 13 just struck me as exceptionally high numbers.

Yeah if you're averaging north of four goals a game over a five week period, you're having a pretty bloody good run or form.

Nine.

Nine is the number I remember most.

1233.gif

I don't recall where I said 13 every week for 5 weeks. I guess my point is that joe has kicked 17 in 5 games, franklin has had about 8 blocks where has has kicked 25+ in 5 games. Now we can pretend joe is as good as franklin in his pomp, or we can be realistic and say he has had a great 5 games and we are all stoked with the progress he is making.
As has been pointing out by others, Joe still has huge improvement to make and I can't wait to see it. If franklin had 4 at half time and a side on their knees in his pomp, he wouldn't have finished with 5.

I don't recall where I said 13 every week for 5 weeks. I guess my point is that joe has kicked 17 in 5 games, franklin has had about 8 blocks where has has kicked 25+ in 5 games. Now we can pretend joe is as good as franklin in his pomp, or we can be realistic and say he has had a great 5 games and we are all stoked with the progress he is making.
As has been pointing out by others, Joe still has huge improvement to make and I can't wait to see it. If franklin had 4 at half time and a side on their knees in his pomp, he wouldn't have finished with 5.

They're obviously different players, but they're Franklin numbers (down to the wayward kicking), he's getting 20 odd touches a game, lots of territory, completely bossing games.

That's what Franklin does and what Joe is doing, he's taking over games in ways that aren't necessarily just standard mark, kick, goal key forward games.

They're obviously different players, but they're Franklin numbers (down to the wayward kicking), he's getting 20 odd touches a game, lots of territory, completely bossing games.

That's what Franklin does and what Joe is doing, he's taking over games in ways that aren't necessarily just standard mark, kick, goal key forward games.

You're clutching at straws here

Old man saw him play, said there's never been anyone like him. Would stand on blokes heads off a step.

What else did your old man say? I'm just really interested in the stories about Coleman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A difference I see between Franklin and Daniher is that Franklin was more individually hungry. I'm not calling him selfish as he played to win for his team, but his motivation was his ego and that made him especially opportunistic and he thrived off kicking bags. Joe is hungry but you can see his motivation is different. He plays to win but for the enjoyment and fun of it. He loves sharing the fun with his team mates. He doesn't seem to care, at least outwardly, about kicking as many goals as he can. He just wants to do well in whatever role he's given.

If i was joe I'd be signing this week while the media are upping his stocks. If he has a bad game on Saturday they'll go back to saying he's unfixable.

If i was joe I'd be signing this week while the media are upping his stocks. If he has a bad game on Saturday they'll go back to saying he's unfixable.
Joe will be on big bucks regardless, the biggest thing that will keep his money down is a willingness to take the hit if it brings in other talent via trade.

At least we'll be getting a hell of a lot more value than Bulldogs are getting for their million dollar man Boyd or even Sydney with Tippett. I would rather Daniher by a mile.

Since the Franklin comparison was brought up...One thing that people don't often realise is that Franklin has only cracked 10 goals in a game twice I believe. So for all his vaunted career I think guys like Jack Riewoldt and Josh Kennedy have done it more. As was said above much more likely to kick 4-5 than to go absolutely huge. Even against us its basically been the 4-5 goals each time except for one huge performance.

That said Daniher would need to take his form from the last 3 games and sustain it out over a season if he wanted to be regarded in that vein. He's obviously not there yet but he's got the raw tools. I still believe that Daniher can be the best player in the game.

At least we'll be getting a hell of a lot more value than Bulldogs are getting for their million dollar man Boyd or even Sydney with Tippett. I would rather Daniher by a mile.

Since the Franklin comparison was brought up...One thing that people don't often realise is that Franklin has only cracked 10 goals in a game twice I believe. So for all his vaunted career I think guys like Jack Riewoldt and Josh Kennedy have done it more. As was said above much more likely to kick 4-5 than to go absolutely huge. Even against us its basically been the 4-5 goals each time except for one huge performance.

That said Daniher would need to take his form from the last 3 games and sustain it out over a season if he wanted to be regarded in that vein. He's obviously not there yet but he's got the raw tools. I still believe that Daniher can be the best player in the game.
A big game this week should shut up the doubters for good, im really hoping they play Rance on him aswell. No better time than now for Daniher to explode

A big game this week should shut up the doubters for good, im really hoping they play Rance on him aswell. No better time than now for Daniher to explode

No way in hell Rance goes to Daniher, he'd be cut to shreds.

Rance will play off Stewart and play fairly loose.

Joe will be on big bucks regardless, the biggest thing that will keep his money down is a willingness to take the hit if it brings in other talent via trade.
A lot say its premature but I think he's already top 5 in the league. Stats can tell you some things but I believe influence on a game is the biggest indication and he's showing already that he can dictate the outcome of a game on his own. I can only see him getting better.

I suspect he wants success so I'm comfortable that he has the clubs future in mind when he's negotiating his contract.

Boyd has won the Dogs a Flag. I doubt anything else matters from that perspective.

A lot say its premature but I think he's already top 5 in the league. Stats can tell you some things but I believe influence on a game is the biggest indication and he's showing already that he can dictate the outcome of a game on his own. I can only see him getting better.

I suspect he wants success so I'm comfortable that he has the clubs future in mind when he's negotiating his contract.
I can't think of a single indicator that says he isn't an exceptional player, stats or otherwise. Perhaps games played, but what kind of indicator is that? Aside from telling you how close he is to qualifying as a father/son. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back