Free Agent # 6: Joe Daniher (part 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't think of a single indicator that says he isn't an exceptional player, stats or otherwise. Perhaps games played, but what kind of indicator is that? Aside from telling you how close he is to qualifying as a father/son. lol
Yeah, I think the media are clearly giving him recognition but the footy public are generally in denial about it until he's done it consistently.

I'm happy for him to go under the radar.

What sort of beep test does Joe run? He covers an enormous amount of territory but doesn't slow up a great deal across the 4 quarters. That in itself will have him beating most KPDs.

I'm stoked with the way the club have handled Joe's physical development. They could've bulked him up quick to see "results" quicker but it would've compromised his agility and endurance, and potentially seen him getting injured. The way they've handled him sees him now with the strength to handle himself in a 1:1 situation with virtually any defender while still giving him the speed and endurance to run around like a gazelle for 4 quarters.

Boyd has won the Dogs a Flag. I doubt anything else matters from that perspective.

OK that's true but here's the thing: When you win a flag with an under performing player on big dollars (lets face it he hasn't played a lot of quality games) well lots of players are going to be asking for their pay rises which are warranted as they did just win the flag. This means there will be salary cap pressure and they could end up squeezing out a quality young midfielder that they would want to keep.

A flag is a fantastic thing but I reckon if you asked the average Bulldog supporter will they win another in the next 3 years and they would pretty much all say yes. The deal for Boyd could end up as a noose around their necks going forward the same way it is for Sydney with Tippett which cost them Mitchell.

I also think its a bit of revisionist history to assess a trade on the result of the entire Team rather than the player as an individual. He was along for the ride and played a few good games in the finals at the right time. I'm not sure it makes him value for money.

What sort of beep test does Joe run? He covers an enormous amount of territory but doesn't slow up a great deal across the 4 quarters. That in itself will have him beating most KPDs.

I'm stoked with the way the club have handled Joe's physical development. They could've bulked him up quick to see "results" quicker but it would've compromised his agility and endurance, and potentially seen him getting injured. The way they've handled him sees him now with the strength to handle himself in a 1:1 situation with virtually any defender while still giving him the speed and endurance to run around like a gazelle for 4 quarters.
I think the way we develop our players has changed a lot over the last few years. I'm sure having our own VFL team is helping with that but even just having individual programs for each player is an indication we are taking things far more seriously.

It has taken us over a decade to get our s**t together but it finally appears to be happening.

I've said it previously but I think the whole "Saga" thing has made us address our weaknesses as a professional club and we are starting to see results.

His old player thread thread title is something about running 2km in 7 minutes, and that thread was locked five years ago. Don't know about his beep test but....

I've said it previously but I think the whole "Saga" thing has made us address our weaknesses as a professional club and we are starting to see results.

Absolutely it has. Let's be honest, no club has had a more thorough review from the CEO to the boot studder than our club over the saga years, and it wasn't simply a boys club review either.

As sad as it is, the saga is what it took to turn us into a professional club rather than one that lived off past glories assuming we can take short cuts to win flags because, ya know, we're Essendon and all that.

A lot say its premature but I think he's already top 5 in the league. Stats can tell you some things but I believe influence on a game is the biggest indication and he's showing already that he can dictate the outcome of a game on his own. I can only see him getting better.

I suspect he wants success so I'm comfortable that he has the clubs future in mind when he's negotiating his contract.

It wouldn't be the same winning premiership at another club for him. Not even a debate for whether he stays or goes lol. But I definitely rate him like you do but I don't like comparing and ranking to other players because each player used differently .

It wouldn't be the same winning premiership at another club for him. Not even a debate for whether he stays or goes lol. But I definitely rate him like you do but I don't like comparing and ranking to other players because each player used differently .
Yeah, I'm the same.

Can't write a list and put them in order because each player has different strengths and weaknesses.

Influence on a game for me is the big indicator and he sure does that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When I was following the news of Joe's junior development I was excited by the prospect of a tall target forward who was, by all accounts, a natural footballer. What I had envisaged doesn't even come close to the reality of the talent we now have. The long range kicking, speed, evasiveness, and spectacular high marking were not something I was expecting to come with the package. He is the most exciting talent I've seen at the club... and I don't say this lightly. The best thing about Joe is that he has so much more development ahead of him. He could tear the comp apart if he realises that you can keep improving until the day you retire. I reckon he has the attitude and leadership that round out the high ceiling we can look forward to. I'm off to get the number 6 on my guernsey...

I thoroughly enjoy Sandy Roberts calling Daniher

Sandy was a good commentator back in the 90s and he still brings some of that to the table now. He's not where he was with the quality of his commentary but it's still decent. He tries to focus on the footy first rather than the crap too many others dribble and still has some fun calls like the "hi ho Orazio" last week which made me chuckle.

When I was following the news of Joe's junior development I was excited by the prospect of a tall target forward who was, by all accounts, a natural footballer. What I had envisaged doesn't even come close to the reality of the talent we now have. The long range kicking, speed, evasiveness, and spectacular high marking were not something I was expecting to come with the package. He is the most exciting talent I've seen at the club... and I don't say this lightly. The best thing about Joe is that he has so much more development ahead of him. He could tear the comp apart if he realises that you can keep improving until the day you retire. I reckon he has the attitude and leadership that round out the high ceiling we can look forward to. I'm off to get the number 6 on my guernsey...

Most exciting talent at the club - that's some illustrious company but he's definitely up there. For those older imagine a young Tim Watson or Simon Madden coming through! However in my time I'd say Matthew Lloyd, Gavin Wanganeen, Scott Gumbleton, Joe Daniher were the top 4 players I was most excited about being recruited at the time. Unfortunately injury meant we never saw the best of Gumby.

Most exciting talent at the club - that's some illustrious company but he's definitely up there. For those older imagine a young Tim Watson or Simon Madden coming through! However in my time I'd say Matthew Lloyd, Gavin Wanganeen, Scott Gumbleton, Joe Daniher were the top 4 players I was most excited about being recruited at the time. Unfortunately injury meant we never saw the best of Gumby.
I've been watching us since the emergence of Neale Daniher and the realising of potential of Watson, Madden, TD, Vanders. He has more all-round talent than any I've seen at EFC. Of course, unlike others before him, he hasn't fully realised this talent, nor has he driven us to success.

On pure talent, Lloyd, VanDerHaar, Mercuri, Hird, Neale Daniher, Wanganeen, Madden, Zach Merrett, Fantasia, Baker, Long, Kickett, Salmon, and Cupido would all be up there but Joe has them covered. He's a bit like a taller, faster Vanders actually.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back