Free Agent # 6: Joe Daniher - derp Brisbane player

Remove this Banner Ad

I dunno whether this article has been shared or not. The thrust of it seems to be quoting Dodoro and Carmody (Joe's manager) from their recent interviews about Joe finishing rehabbing after surgery and building up his base before considering contract extensions of any sort.

Carmody said any other priority other than Joe getting back to full fitness would be 'taking our eye off the ball', while Dodoro said something about waiting for the dust to settle and getting Joe up and about.

The quotes make it seem like Dodoro is quite interested in getting Joe's signature, while Carmody is pretty relaxed about it and doesn't seem very interested.

The main thing that interested me though was this:

Maybe we've heard it before months ago, but I don't remember if we knew it was an adductor release operation or not? I'm sure Sydney's three players aren't the only guys to have had that surgery in the AFL, though maybe others used a different surgeon. (Maybe that was part of the appeal of going to Sydney..? Not that our medical department didn't fly him everywhere and get the best possible advice, but because Sydney's has experience with this particular surgeon, surgery and rehab?)

Anyway I found some links that give a bit of info about adductor release surgery. The first one is about preparation and recovery which looks like it's probably given to patients as part of informed consent. It says something about safely returning to full sports participation as the goal of phase 4, which starts from 8 weeks post-surgery.

Then there's this one, which is apparently a 15 year old article about soccer and hockey players having this surgery. Be warned, there are a couple of pictures of medical procedures. It claims an 87% rate of effectiveness in relieving groin pain, and has a very similar recovery timeline.

And then we have this one, which is very academic looking and about 5 years old. This time talking about soccer and rugby players returning to their pre-injury level of play following some particular type of adductor release surgery. As a rule if I have to google more than 5 words on a page I don't bother reading it, but I persisted with this because it was interesting. Perhaps someone can translate it? 🤣

Anyway, looks like there's a pretty good chance he comes back just fine once he's rehabbed it all properly. It's a surgery that's been around for ages with good success rates, not exactly experimental. Cross fingers 🤞
Sounds positive. I wonder what stage of rehab he's in. Is he expected to be ready for round one? Or is it more round 4-5 again?

We should also leave him out of any 5 day breaks or back-to-back 6 day breaks until about round 8-10.

Conveniently leaving out the Port and Dogs games following that? Guess we weren’t that consistent
you’re missing the point. Dapper said “all that great football we played” sarcastically. I responded with the 2 month patch of great football that we played.

I never said we were premiers

you’re missing the point. Dapper said “all that great football we played” sarcastically. I responded with the 2 month patch of great football that we played.

I never said we were premiers
Ok so including the giants, suns, swans and Roos games that we fell over the line in?

I don’t have issue with us having played some “great football” but the biggest issue holding us back is consistency right now and to suggest based on results in that period that we played great football is a bit reductive

You said we were consistent though
I said “meanwhile we’ve learnt to play without him and are much more consistent when he’s not on the park”

consistent in our structure, consistently sharing the goal kicking load around, consistently being less predictable (eg not kicking it to Joe with inside forward entries 90% of the time), more consistent with goal kicking accuracy etc

I said “meanwhile we’ve learnt to play without him and are much more consistent when he’s not on the park”

consistent in our structure, consistently sharing the goal kicking load around, consistently being less predictable (eg not kicking it to Joe with inside forward entries 90% of the time), more consistent with goal kicking accuracy etc

Consistently s**t.

I don’t have issue with us having played some “great football” but the biggest issue holding us back is consistency right now and to suggest based on results in that period that we played great football is a bit reductive

my point was simply that we are a more consistent side without Joe (Captain Unpredictable) and that we did indeed play some great football this year without him.

His reasons for wanting to leave were immature ( he wants to enjoy Sydney lifestyle ), and was evasive about his trip to Sydney. We should have offered to trade him to the Giants for Jeremy Cameron. Direct trade, no draft picks, etc. Hasta la vista, baby!
We have a very durable current Coleman medalist on one hand and well .. Joe Daniher on the other

A fair trade would have been Daniher plus a pick in the late teens/early twenties

Mate, your sponge of a club missed the boat. He ain’t going anywhere at the end of next season. Joe will sign a nice extension before round 14 and you guys will continue your slide down the ladder, as predicted, after selling the farm in 2013 to get Buddy. The arrogance of you guys after a good decade is breathtaking. Those of us old enough to remember know what a basket case you guys become if you’re not winning games, which is why the AFL propped you up for so long. But the gravy train has ended. Better start lobbying that flog CEO of yours Tom Harley to call old mate Kochie and ask who his tarp supplier is as you’ll be needing it. Now go away. We don’t need to hear your deluded opinions anymore. You didn’t get your man.
Love the sentiment but why does he need the tarp?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok so including the giants, suns, swans and Roos games that we fell over the line in?

Yeah it was consistent results (skinny wins) but when you’re beating both a grand finalist and a wooden spooner by a goal within a few weeks it’s hard to say the football is consistent

Damien Barrett now giving the club a good lashing for not trading Joe for a good deal after previously sucking the meat off the dick for standing firm and not taking unders.

Sucking meat of the dick ahahha

Literally spat coffee everywhere

Damien Barrett now giving the club a good lashing for not trading Joe for a good deal after previously sucking the meat off the dick for standing firm and not taking unders.

He's a dumbass hypocrite. Blames Essendon for being proud of retaining it's players in the face of laughable offers and then doesn't give Sydney s**t for not trading a player that wanted out too.

What a bozo.

I like that he said in his Sliding Dicks article, regarding Joe and Raz, that "both were desperate to get out of the club".

Joe wasn't desperate, and was always well aware that staying was likely, whereas Orazio literally not once ever said he was going to leave. He didn't request a trade in the slightest.

He's a dumbass hypocrite. Blames Essendon for being proud of retaining it's players in the face of laughable offers and then doesn't give Sydney s**t for not trading a player that wanted out too.

What a bozo.
He's not going at them for Papley, true enough. But to be completely fair if you scroll down to the thing he wrote about Sydney he's still lambasting them for not getting the deal done for Joe.

The AFL House one is about 'club's taking back some power in the negotiation' and then demanding they allow player trading without consent. I mean people go on about restraint of trade - that would be the example you'd find in the textbook for it.

I think the poor man must have a very sad life. Imagine if your only joy in the day is writing ridiculous columns like that one, where you've completely missed the concept and everything is Negative Nelly? And it's even sponsored now 🤣

Except in your fantasy world you think you can 'click your fingers' and a player will come running to EFC - Quality players who are contracted don't change on a whim - This JD situation could have been sorted out earlier in the trade week when it was obvious no suitable could be completed.
That’s not my point, and wouldn’t expect players to come at the click of our fingers. My point was that to get a contracted player to Sydney, Essendon wanted a player back. It was then up to Sydney to canvas their players to see if they were interested, and they didn’t even want to engage in that. I respect that it has to be mutual on all sides, but if Sydney were never going to engage in the player exchange, this should have been killed off on day one. All the talk of which draft picks was totally irrelevant.

He's not going at them for Papley, true enough. But to be completely fair if you scroll down to the thing he wrote about Sydney he's still lambasting them for not getting the deal done for Joe.

The AFL House one is about 'club's taking back some power in the negotiation' and then demanding they allow player trading without consent. I mean people go on about restraint of trade - that would be the example you'd find in the textbook for it.

I think the poor man must have a very sad life. Imagine if your only joy in the day is writing ridiculous columns like that one, where you've completely missed the concept and everything is Negative Nelly? And it's even sponsored now 🤣

Watching Trade Radio on Wednesday with him pomping around was cringe. Such a self important douchebag.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back