Free Agent # 6: Joe Daniher (part 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not true. He's said he'll be at Essendon unless he's not wanted.
I think you're holding on too much to that.

I watched and re-watched that episode. I got the feeling he was avoiding giving any direct definitive answers and only said that when cornered.

IMO if he really felt that way he would have just come out and said "I want to be at Essendon next year" without being cornered for a direct response.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

pick 4 + Heeney gets the job done for me.

joe inst quite twice the player however heeney gets on the park - joe hasnt been....the injury risk cant be avoided.

yeah for me it has Gumbletron 2.0 all over it. I have always feared this would happen to us with JD. It was too good to be true to think finally Essendon had a savior to win that next GF. Apart from one stand out year, he has been the most frustrating player to watch with his poor goal accuracy.

Unless the Swans come up with a very good offer (2 first rounders, at least), hold him to his contract. His value is probably the lowest it could be at the moment.

Well if he gets injured again in 2020 his value will obviously plummet though i'm happy to take that risk.

Unless Swans give us overs i see no incentive for Essendon to do any type of deal to get Daniher to the Swans. Hold him to his contract and see how he performs in 2020. Essendon are in the box seat in basically all scenarios.

Well if he gets injured again in 2020 his value will obviously plummet though i'm happy to take that risk.

Unless Swans give us overs i see no incentive for Essendon to do any type of deal to get Daniher to the Swans. Hold him to his contract and see how he performs in 2020. Essendon are in the box seat in basically all scenarios.
If he was to get injured again in 2020 and miss the majority of another season then I don't think any other team would even want him (for the money he would ask for). Would be hard to come back from missing almost 3 years of football. O'Meara will never be the player he could have been after his setbacks.

As you said, I'd rather take the risk and try to get his body right. If he breaks down again then oh well.

I'll venture a really wild guess:

- Joe has declared potential interest to move interstate by contracts end, due to bubble pressure and potential management of his injuries
- The club has put it on him to figure out what he wants now, rather than later. His trade value is greater at present compared to contracts end
- Joe probably not ready to make a decision, reasons: emotional, financial, undecided, rushed(?), a new contract may not be as much due to his injuries

I'm really just thinking on keyboard here. Never would have imagined a Daniher to be in this predicament with this club.

He's my fave player, don't want him to leave. But at the end of the day, we need players who want to play for the club. Hope he stays.

Last edited:
I think you're holding on too much to that.

I watched and re-watched that episode. I got the feeling he was avoiding giving any direct definitive answers and only said that when cornered.

IMO if he really felt that way he would have just come out and said "I want to be at Essendon next year" without being cornered for a direct response.
Maybe I am but at least they're words from his mouth rather than the speculation of others.

"I think he's made it pretty clear that he's going to have a bit of time away and decide what he wants to do with his footy going forward."

I think Merrett forgot the public stance is different from the reality, Joe hadn't publicly made that indication in the slightest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back