Free Agent # 6: Joe Daniher (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Refuse to trade him if he asks for it?

He’ll just leave next year for nothing. FA Compensation is always s**t.

It’s the reality... if a player wants to go, they go. We get the best trade we can.

Personally I can’t see Sydney offering him a big contract. They’ll be softening him up for next year when they’re more sure where his body is at. At least, that’s what I’d be doing.

Geelong refused to trade Tim Kelly. Didnt work out so bad for them.

The compo wont be great but prob not far off a meh offer sydney will most likely put forward this year. What incentive do sydney have to offer anything decent? I cant think of any.

So if they just offer pick 8 we take it? * that.

Also If I were sydney I wouldnt even offer that given the circumstances of his injury and free agency status.

Dont forget we have the option of matching the offer if we can to force a trade anyway.

We also didn't trade Francis when the SA clubs couldn't come up with a fair deal. That's looking like working out too

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon

The compo wont be great but prob not far off a meh offer sydney will most likely put forward this year. What incentive do sydney have to offer anything decent? I cant think of any.

So if they just offer pick 8 we take it? fu** that.

Also If I were sydney I wouldnt even offer that given the circumstances of his injury and free agency status.

Dont forget we have the option of matching the offer if we can to force a trade anyway.

Kelly isn’t a free agent this year.

If he wants to go we’ll negotiate and get the best deal we can.

But Daniher is still contracted and only a restricted free agent. Its not like we dont hold any bargaining power.

Nope. Supported them when i was kid, lost interest in the mid 90's. Came back around 2012. Didn't even watch half the 2000 grand final, just wasn't into it.
Yet here you are!

Yeah true. I've missed five games since 1973 in Melbourne, that's a lot of games and it's changed so much. Six games on a Saturday to wall to wall football, sometimes Thursday through to Monday. I know players couldn't give a fu** and lately I've wondered myself, why do I give such a fu** ? I go more out of duty these days, more social, catch up with mates, introduce my kids to the joy of following a club, sticking with them through drug saga's and 104 point floggings, and Tippa having the ball on a string.
But players ? They stopped giving a fu** decades ago, you think I'm that dumb ? But I'm still a romantic and the Daniher name is still steeped in Essendon folklore. I still bag swan mates about Neville Fields, what a transfer that was ( note, I said transfer, not trade, as it was known way back then).
So yes, ruthless me says "thanks joe, 2 years on top dollar, for fu** all return, let's see what sydney brings to the table"
Either way, we win, club needs a shake up.

Spot on mate. Local footy players care more about the jumper than AFL.

Sep 22, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Personally I can’t see Sydney offering him a big contract. They’ll be softening him up for next year when they’re more sure where his body is at. At least, that’s what I’d be doing.

Isn’t there more financial risk if they wait until he’s a RFA? That if they get him then and his injury prevents his from playing, then his salary is included in the cap for the duration of the deal?

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon

If we believe his body will be right next year, then I hope we don't trade him unless we get a good deal. If we're seriously thinking of contending, then a fit Daniher is a required player. I'd rather him leave as a FA if he can help us go deep in September. We can then make a huge play for Jeremy Cameron to replace him.

If we're of the opinion that he won't get back to his best next year, then trade him.

Apr 26, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Aston Villa

So if they just offer pick 8 we take it? fu** that.

I reckon if Sydney would be willing to offer pick 8 then they think he will come good from his OP. In that case, pick 8 is a low ball offer for a bloke who can kick 60 goals, take a contested mark and kick from well outside 50m. He’s nearly impossible to match up on. Daniher would kick 10 goals against an Essendon side.

Fin ice Smuggler

Cancelled
Nov 13, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
I reckon if Sydney would be willing to offer pick 8 then they think he will come good from his OP. In that case, pick 8 is a low ball offer for a bloke who can kick 60 goals, take a contested mark and kick from well outside 50m. He’s nearly impossible to match up on. Daniher would kick 10 goals against an Essendon side.

No way Dodoro trades him for pick 8 when 4 is available... only have to look at Carlisle stand off.

Jacques_

Senior List
Jun 22, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
The more I think about it, the more I think he’s considering retirement, due to how bad the repercussions of his recent surgery can be.

Sydney’s football department are extremely well ran, why wouldn’t they have Joe play out next year, see if his body comes good & then get him for nothing? They’re definitely not in the premiership window, so they can afford to wait.

I realise I could be completely off on this but the whole situation seems a little strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back