Traded 6. Jordan Clark (2019-2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

Surprised me they'd pick a West Australian after the Kelly issues.

Speaking with a few of the single WA boys who are on non WA lists - most are glad to escape the parochial spotlight over here and concentrate on their footy , some also embrace the challenge of making it in a new environment.
Fortunately for us Kelly is the exception and not the rule - however with his sister now living with them in Geelong who knows how the year might pan out?

Speaking with a few of the single WA boys who are on non WA lists - most are glad to escape the parochial spotlight over here and concentrate on their footy , some also embrace the challenge of making it in a new environment.
Fortunately for us Kelly is the exception and not the rule - however with his sister now living with them in Geelong who knows how the year might pan out?

Thought it a little ironic what with the Kelly probem l'm not saying he won't be "ok" as some jump to the conclusion.

and it would seem ..some who have strived to go back have not always been rewarded with their best footy.

Obviously a big difference a mature wafl family man and a school kid who knows and understands the local raylamp and one see how he may be quite happy to move away as moves from it.
Geelong has its own issues like that but much lesser so.. and as its often been said .. plenty in geelong follow other teams so there is always a bit of blurred focus.

Menegola asking for a trade back to WA would mean double go-home, because he originally left Hawthorn to go home to Freo (in part to leave the rookie list and have more stability).

When drafted Clark said he wanted to go play in Melbourne, so maybe it's not the Perth clubs we should worry about.

I was always under the impression that Menegola was delisted by both Hawthorn & Fremantle.

"Originally from East Fremantle in the West Australian Football League (WAFL), Menegola was first drafted in the 2011 rookie draft by Hawthorn with their first selection and nineteenth overall.[1] He spent one season with Hawthorn before being delisted at the end of the 2011 season.[2]

He was drafted again in the 2012 rookie draft by Fremantle, with their third selection and forty-fourth overall.[3] He spent three injury interrupted seasons with Fremantle without playing an AFL match and was delisted at the end of the 2014 season.[4]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Menegola

I was always under the impression that Menegola was delisted by both Hawthorn & Fremantle.

"Originally from East Fremantle in the West Australian Football League (WAFL), Menegola was first drafted in the 2011 rookie draft by Hawthorn with their first selection and nineteenth overall.[1] He spent one season with Hawthorn before being delisted at the end of the 2011 season.[2]

He was drafted again in the 2012 rookie draft by Fremantle, with their third selection and forty-fourth overall.[3] He spent three injury interrupted seasons with Fremantle without playing an AFL match and was delisted at the end of the 2014 season.[4]"

I can sort of understand at Haw.. 2011 they were making finals and on the verge of tripplepeat ...but Freo... man , thats really a slap in the face

Thought it a little ironic what with the Kelly probem l'm not saying he won't be "ok" as some jump to the conclusion.
As long as Freo have higher selections in the draft than the Eagles, Kelly isnt going anywhere. And if he wants some serious coin, hes going to have to make a commitment to the club that extends beyond a year to year proposition.

Gosh that’s interesting news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not sure why you think I'm panicking over player retention.

Because now you are suggesting we should be worrying about a player who has not even played a game leaving to go to melbourne (where he isn't from) because he said he wanted to play in Victoria!!

Those are the literal mechanics of what happened, I think in part because trading rookies isn't really done? In interviews he's talked about turning down the chance at spending another year on the Hawks rookie list, wanting to go back home to WA, then later realising it was a short sighted move.

This is only a brief grab, but the best I could find in a few minutes on the bus

https://outline.com/RR42pn

“I got to Freo and they wanted my contested work to get better, and I wanted my contested work to get better,” he said.
“It was driven a fair bit by me. I remember finishing at Hawthorn that year and deciding to go somewhere new, and talking to clubs about how I wanted to add that to my game."

https://outline.com/RR42pn

Because now you are suggesting we should be worrying about a player who has not even played a game leaving to go to melbourne (where he isn't from) because he said he wanted to play in Victoria!!

He said Melbourne, not Victoria. And I think you entirely missed my point tbh - that the go-home stuff isn't really worth worrying about until we know something about where it fits into a particular case.

And indeed, until we have better reason to worry if Clark did leave. He should probably do something before his possible departure is viewed as something that will hurt us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he tightened up his defensive game I'd bet on him playing 20 games this year.
Has that to learn though, he's a gun offensively but is quite poor as a defender at this stage.
I don't think he's been too bad defensively. He gives us run and carry though in an otherwise stagnant defense so I'd play him on that basis and fast track his development. Of course If his form tapers off he should go back to the VFL but right now he should be in the round 1 team given the injuries to Bews and Tuohy and our lack of other options.

The kid is going to make mistakes....he's young, and playing on/with seasoned footballers.

The class oozes out of the kid...we might have to wear some early season errors from him so that by mid season we will be watching a rising star establishing himself as a permanent fixture in Geelong's best 22.

I say go with him Round 1.

The kid is going to make mistakes....he's young, and playing on/with seasoned footballers.

The class oozes out of the kid...we might have to wear some early season errors from him so that by mid season we will be watching a rising star establishing himself as a permanent fixture in Geelong's best 22.

Absolutely go with him round 1. His rebounding is a real weapon and we should be able to organise the defence so that he's not playing 1 on 1 deep in defence too often. He's got a lot to learn about that side of the game but his strengths are way too strong for us not to pick him. Sicily is an attrocious 1 on 1 defender and he was close to AA form at times last year. The defence as a whole just has to be good enough to cover his weaknesses while he improves them.

Maybe he can play on the wing... a bit further up the ground gives him some mistake room.

Maybe he can play on the wing... a bit further up the ground gives him some mistake room.

With Tuohy and Bews out, if you move Clark upfield you'd have to put Guthrie at half back......no thanks.

Guthrie is an attacking player IMO...more of an offensive role for him I think....his game in JLT 2 was good ...

With Tuohy and Bews out, if you move Clark upfield you'd have to put Guthrie at half back......no thanks.

Guthrie is an attacking player IMO...more of an offensive role for him I think....his game in JLT 2 was good ...

Guthrie can handle d better than a zero game player. He generally buthchers the ball.. I really dont want the ball in his hand running towards goal

He said in JLT 1 that CS had said to him to just go out play his game.. attacking when needed but integrate the team structures clearly at same time.
You could see in both JLT games imo he did that well.
Lots to learn and he will get burned more than once.. but so did Boris early doors... play the kid.. play him as HBF and let him learn. He will run outta puff and need to be managed but until then let him go

Go Catters

Please don't rush him in. As an attacking defender he shows promise. Not convinced on his defensive side of his game yet. Needs time in the VFL to learn (and add some kgs).

A couple of games at the start of the year shouldn't put too much stress on him ... and big game at the G and home crowd at geelong would be a good start..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back