Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
It's only in the calm of midweek you can realise he probably has sacrificed himself for the team alot this year by playing a selfless role in the back half. It's hardly designed to make him good.

Still gotta remember the Hawks picked us for him so hopefully that decision is still justified.

mothy

Draftee
Jul 24, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
It's only in the calm of midweek you can realise he probably has sacrificed himself for the team alot this year by playing a selfless role in the back half. It's hardly designed to make him good.

Still gotta remember the Hawks picked us for him so hopefully that decision is still justified.
What do you mean the Hawks picked us for him?

You make it sound like he wanted to leave. He only did after Clarkson told him he should go elsewhere. The Hawks backflipped after Mitchell left but it was too late.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
You make it sound like he wanted to leave. He only did after Clarkson told him he should go elsewhere. The Hawks backflipped after Mitchell left but it was too late.

Mate you look for hidden meanings in way too much s**t. I was making the point that 2 of the Hawks finest saw great potential in our list. Nothing else.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Had a sit down with rough and clarko and they said Melbourne was the place for him to continue his career.

Have you got a source for this? As I understood he cracked it when Hawthorn wouldn’t offer more than one year then agreed to shop himself around, we were interested along with GC and Carlton but he chose us because he wanted to play finals.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Have you got a source for this? As I understood he cracked it when Hawthorn wouldn’t offer more than one year then agreed to shop himself around, we were interested along with GC and Carlton but he chose us because he wanted to play finals.

If you search around you can find it im sure. I can't tell you the time line of events but i know they sat around at a house together and it was suggested Melbourne was his best option.

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
If you search around you can find it im sure. I can't tell you the time line of events but i know they sat around at a house together and it was suggested Melbourne was his best option.
I'm pretty sure it was as schmuttt has said ... he and Clarkson had a sit down where they decided that if he wanted to play for any longer than the next year, it would need to be elsewhere. Lewis made the decision on coming to Melbourne on his own.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm pretty sure it was as schmuttt has said ... he and Clarkson had a sit down where they decided that if he wanted to play for any longer than the next year, it would need to be elsewhere. Lewis made the decision on coming to Melbourne on his own.

Yep, Hawthorn didn’t play any part in where he wanted to go as out of respect to him they let him pick a club then traded him for peanuts.

Champion of our club and hope he has a great game and a great win in his 300th.

I'm one of the main posters in what was known on our board as "The Lewis Mafia" :D if reverence of this great man.

Happy 300th Taz.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
I think you will find Jarryd roughead had a massive say.
I think he had already fixed on Melbourne due to the Todd Viney connection. Roughy may well have said good idea, go for it etc.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Stop doing that thing where you can’t just admit you misread what happened :p

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/h...e/news-story/3ce0bd107ce9d43e23ef3820519adfd3

And while Roughead, who has previously shown some interest in list management, wasn’t originally vocal about the specific club he should go to, he still played a key role in supporting Lewis.

But when asked whether Roughead was an advocate for the Demons, Lewis said his best mate gave his blessing come decision time.

“As a mate of mine I wanted him to be involved in the process,” Lewis said.

“I didn’t want him to pick up the newspaper and read that I’ve left. I wanted to him to be over it throughout the process. “

“I think from afar, what we’ve seen with Melbourne last year is that certainly they’ve improved, there’s stability in the club now.

“Speaking with Todd (Viney) and delving a bit deeper into that before I made the decision, it was evident that they were on the right path.”

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/h...e/news-story/3ce0bd107ce9d43e23ef3820519adfd3

And while Roughead, who has previously shown some interest in list management, wasn’t originally vocal about the specific club he should go to, he still played a key role in supporting Lewis.

But when asked whether Roughead was an advocate for the Demons, Lewis said his best mate gave his blessing come decision time.

“As a mate of mine I wanted him to be involved in the process,” Lewis said.

“I didn’t want him to pick up the newspaper and read that I’ve left. I wanted to him to be over it throughout the process. “

“I think from afar, what we’ve seen with Melbourne last year is that certainly they’ve improved, there’s stability in the club now.

“Speaking with Todd (Viney) and delving a bit deeper into that before I made the decision, it was evident that they were on the right path.”
“Gave his blessing”

Ugh. Sounds like a casual father saying “it’s your life” when his 16yp pregnant daughter asks if she can marry the local drug dealer.

Had a sit down with rough and clarko and they said Melbourne was the place for him to continue his career.
No, not true at all.

Clarkson told him it might be worth exploring other options in order to continue his career.

He called Todd Viney as they are still friends from when he was an assistant at Hawthorn and asked if Melbourne would be interested. Viney told him to hold tight, he will speak to Goodwin and co. The rest they say is history.

TV and Lewis would often catch up and Viney would often joke about when is he coming to Melbourne ext. So you could imagine his excitement when Lewis called him and asked if there was a spot for him at the Dees.

Take that story to the bank.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I hope this is the catalyst for Goody to give Lewis license to get further up the ground. Certainly not expecting him to kick bombs from 50 every week but he can still kick well and he's still a good footballer when we use his strengths and don't expose his weaknesses.

Even if he is exposed for pace, i'd rather Lewis picking targets in the forward line than being caught out in defence on a faster opponent

CTHORANGE

Premiership Player
May 7, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I hope this is the catalyst for Goody to give Lewis license to get further up the ground. Certainly not expecting him to kick bombs from 50 every week but he can still kick well and he's still a good footballer when we use his strengths and don't expose his weaknesses.

Every time he finds himself up the ground he is solid, I guess the problem is without Lever and Hibberd, we are running out options down back

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Every time he finds himself up the ground he is solid, I guess the problem is without Lever and Hibberd, we are running out options down back

Wagner, Fritsch, Weid, Hogan, Pedo Keilty etc. I dunno there's options I'd prefer over Lewis and Vince together

Remove this Banner Ad

Back