AFL Player # 6: Jye Caldwell

Remove this Banner Ad

Can someone link us some inspiring highlights of Caldwell to convince us all he's good again?
100% he is good.

At the start of the year I posted that he had the best hands of anybody on our list. Having watched Parish not fumble all bloody season I have since retracted that but Caldwells close in stuff is very high level, he moves well enough to impact on the outside and he is hard as a cats head. He is a clear upgrade on any the people he would be likely to replace.

His body standing up is the only question mark.

Everyone is acting like in a final you must chuck away the idea of picking your best team and just stick with the guys from last week.

He can be selected without the selectors being “desperate” or “rushing him back”

They sit down, they pick the team they think can win. If he’s fit and has been tested at a lower level then he’s not being rushed in. He’s simply available for selection.

There was a time about 5 weeks ago where we selected Dylan Clarke off a long term injury and exactly the same prep. No one worried he was being rushed. Caldwell is twice the talent Clarke is (and I like Clarke).
Ecce
He's played two games this year and was 3rd best in a big loss to Port in Round 2 with less game-time than the rest that saw the game out. He deserves his spot back once proving he's fit - which is what the scratch matches were for. If he plays his role, we will be fine. You otherwise, don't think so (or maybe you do?, who knows anymore).
3rd best? He got injured near 3qt and the midfield was getting slapped, and he was on 10 touches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did he stop playing? Don't recall seeing him after the first quarter. It was a good quarter though.

I’m less kind on this one. Clearly a great talent no denying that. But what a shock, 20 year old kid who misses 90% of the season with hamstring issues couldn’t run out the game in a energy sapping wet finals game. I think a lesson is learned here, need to have confidence the player selected in a finals match a fit and ready to play 4 quarters.

Had a good first half but clearly ran out of gas. Not sure Clarke would've offered much more tbh. Look forward to him having a full pre seasons and riping it up next year, has definitely got all the tools.

Had a good first half but clearly ran out of gas. Not sure Clarke would've offered much more tbh. Look forward to him having a full pre seasons and riping it up next year, has definitely got all the tools.
Clarke’s great aerobic tank and tackle pressure, fair to say he would’ve excelled in today’s conditions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back