AFL Player # 6: Jye Caldwell - Knock to the calf, has been scanned - 15/4

Remove this Banner Ad

Thread title needs a fitting epithet for Calders' job on Neale.

As an aside, after Parish limited Mills last week, and Caldwell has played the same role on Neale this week, a pattern is emerging that I like very much.

I have an idea but I don't want to get banned.

Thread title needs a fitting epithet for Calders' job on Neale.

As an aside, after Parish limited Mills last week, and Caldwell has played the same role on Neale this week, a pattern is emerging that I like very much.
Did what I could without going into expletives.

I can see why we went so hard on getting Jye to the club. It’s taken time, but he’s now delivering outstanding performances on a consistent basis and it’s paying dividends

Did what I could without going into expletives.

I can see why we went so hard on getting Jye to the club. It’s taken time, but he’s now delivering outstanding performances on a consistent basis and it’s paying dividends
Love Jye. No frills and no fear.
I think last year we got to see what a midfield that was starting to jell looks like, with Parish and Merrett's obvious chemistry together with Stringer. Recently has started to feel like Shiel has found his place, too. Jye's work rate is top notch. I'm looking forward to him, Hobbs and Perkins developing that chemistry too. I think we've got the makings of one of those on-ball brigade thingies.

The highest compliment I can give his game is that it was very un-Essendon.

It was the sort of tactically astute use of and execution by a smart midfielder I'd associate with blue and white hoops or brown and yellow stripes.

It was one of the few things to take away from the game vs Brisbane without any need to weight it because the game was played at circle work intensity.

I've gone from having no expectations because of the extent of injuries to becoming impatient to see the adult Caldwell. 4 years in and he's still very much the boy which is not unusual. Caldwell with adult strength and power is likely our best mid.

Last edited:
The highest compliment I can give his game is that it was so very un-Essendon.

It was the sort of tactically astute use of and execution byba smart midfielder I'd associate with blue and white hoops or brown and yellow stripes.

It was one of the few things to take away from the game vs Brisbane without any need to weight it because the game was played at circle work intensity.

I've gone from having no expectations because of the extent of injuries to becoming impatient to see the adult Caldwell. 4 years in and he's still very much the boy which is not unusual. Caldwell with adult strength and power is likely our best mid.
I think you mean un-Essington.

I want Jye's performance to be recognised as Essendon. Let's move forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah Caldwell really took the heat out of Miller's game for the most part. I'd call it a win. It also looked like Caldwell might have been taken off him for some part of the last quarter? Thought I noticed Hobbs going with Miller a little bit. Carving a niche for himself.

12 disposals in the last for Miller. Thought Caldwell slightly edged him in the first 3 quarters when the game was there to be fought for.
And to be honest, not many younger mids would have the running capacity to go with Miller for 4 quarters. To take Miller out of the game when the game was there to be won was a great effort, I'm not too fussed with padding stats in the 4th.

Hopefully seeing Caldwell go with players like Neale and Miller is a sign his hamstring injuries are behind him. If he can get a relatively uninterrupted 12 - 18 months through preseason into next year and then the 23/24 preseason, I think we'll be seeing a hell of a player come 2024.

28 Touches @ 64% effective which is flattering considering I think he was only @ 50% going into the last quarter. 12 in the last when the game was pretty much done. Another win for Calders!!

Pop my hand up and say I didn't see this level a month ago. Either through system or fitness but Caldwell is playing a role perfect for his skill set.

Quite a few positive traits I liked what I have seen. His clan hands in close, his dual sidedness, his tenacity at the opposition ball carrier. Keep doing what your doing young man. Bloody great to see in a red and black jumper

Remove this Banner Ad

Back