AFL Player # 6: Jye Caldwell

06 - caldwell.jpg

Contract Status: Out of contract 2024
My Boy Draft 2024: Pick 2, eth-dog

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s hard to see what the common denominator is there too, aside from the jumper they wear. Everything has changed and nothing has changed..
I just wonder if it's something stupid and simple like players trying to push through the pain for a bit before reporting the injury to the medical staff so it ends up being more serious than it needed to be.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
It's not a question of luck involved with Caldwell, unfortunately.

We're talking about a player last injury free in his 17th year.

2018, 19 and 20 all ruined or heavily impacted by injury and it's soft tissue a lot of the time.

It shouldn't come as a surprise, then, that in 2021 he continues to have injury problems.

Last edited:

Towno78

Premiership Player
Nov 6, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Daniher’s was a stress injury, he basically put his feet up for two years so I don’t think it’s beyond the realms of possibility he has a decent run at it now. Not sure it’ll last into future years though
You don't fix op by putting your feet up

Coming up on six games missed, anyone have any idea how he's tracking?
He was mentioned in the injury update video last week but they didn't say anything interesting, just sounds like he's on track. By my count he's still out next week, possibly out for the two weeks after that (depending on whether it's 6 weeks or 8 weeks in total – could be a couple of VFL games in weeks 7 and 8 to prove his form), and then available against West Coast, two weeks before the mid-season bye. Alternatively, 8 weeks out, two weeks of VFL, mid-season bye and then back after the bye.

Hak94

All Australian
Apr 27, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
I don't think there are any holes that he'd necessarily "fix" in our midfield group if we're thinking about rushing him right back, play him when he's fit again. As much as I am excited by what I saw earlier in the year, given he's had a few niggles during his U18's etc, I'd only play him/bring him back when he's 100% right. Hopefully, that's very soon though!

Hak94

All Australian
Apr 27, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
Every time he reaches for a ball or sprints I'll be cringing, hoping there's not another one
Hence why they should only play him when he's right again. Don't see why we need to rush him back in, especially with the year we're going to have + the overall tone the club has conveyed we're wanting to head in. Sure, he needs experience & he was looking promising in what he showed before becoming injured but, obviously he has issues with hamstrings so get that right before anything. Hopefully he can get on top of it, if so he could really be something special.

Back