AFL Player # 6: Jye Caldwell

Remove this Banner Ad

Tight hip flexor, may not play
Young midfielder Jye Caldwell is in some doubt ahead of Essendon’s round 22 clash with North Melbourne.

Caldwell was subbed out of last week’s match at three-quarter time with a hip complaint and has been labelled as a test for Saturday afternoon’s fixture.

GM of Performance Daniel McPherson said the 22-year-old will be given every opportunity to prove his fitness.

“Jye experienced some tightness in his hip flexor during last week’s game, which was the reason he was subbed out at three-quarter time,” McPherson said.

“We’ve managed his loads this week and we’re hopeful he’ll be able to take his place in this week’s side, but we won’t know for sure until later in the week."

Listed as test ahead of GWS game
Listed as test:

GM of Performance Daniel McPherson said all players must get through main training without issue to be considered for selection.

“We’re really pleased [they] are all close to a return, and provided they have a good week, we expect they’ll be pushing to be available for selection,” McPherson said.

“Once we get through main training, we’ll be better placed to make a call on whether or not each of them is ready to go.”

September is Jye Caldwell.

IMG_4758.jpeg

Another old article (still not the one I'm actually looking for 😅)

Has had a lot of injuries as a junior including a bruised kidney, calf and hamstring issues and getting nearly wiped out by Preuss in U18s, then hamstring issues at AFL level.

Last year he apparently PLAYED WITH AN AC JOINT INJURY THAT REQUIRED SURGERY.... because he could still run.

Apparently doing extra pilates, yoga and a massage to keep the injury issues in check and prepare for stupid GPS numbers in games (16km!)

Maybe this is our Joel Selwood y'all. Hard as a cat's head.

A pre-season match between the teams was cancelled due to COVID-19 in 2021, and he played just three games for the year as hamstrings bugged him, missing both of Essendon’s clashes with the Giants, before a one-week calf injury sidelined him for their match late last year.

“It looks like I am trying to avoid them,” Caldwell said.

He’s not. He has worked so hard to get to where he is now, avoiding nothing that his body required to withstand the rigours of the AFL.

Before the Giants used the pick 11 they received for trading Dylan Shiel to Essendon to land Caldwell in 2018, he had suffered a bruised kidney, calf and hamstring issues, and stood up after a big hit from Brayden Preuss when playing for the AFL-AIS team.

Despite the odd soft-tissue injury interrupting his progress, he showed his talent in 11 games in two years at the Giants. Then a hamstring injury derailed his first year at the Bombers in 2021. The mental challenge became as real as the physical one.

He refused to let an AC joint issue that required surgery at the end of last season stop him from playing 20 games in 2022. He could run, so he played through the pain, his only absence being for the Giants game in round 21 when he strained his calf. And he showed resilience throughout.

“Last year was massive for me confidence-wise knowing I can play basically a full season. I have done a lot of things behind the scenes to get into the position I am,” Caldwell said.

It’s an indication of his dedication that he makes no complaints, happy to be regularly waking up sore after a game before getting into his week of training that now includes Pilates, yoga and an extra massage above the set training regime.

He needs such preparation for the demanding role he plays, having clocked up 16 kilometres against the Saints while bashing and crashing into bodies like a long-distance dodgem car.

“I have to get up the ground at speed and then when we win it, get back and beat your opponent. It’s a high work-rate role, unrewarded at times as well,” Caldwell said.

Unrewarded from a personal point of view, but for the team it is everything which is what the Bombers are all about now under the calm but uncompromising Brad Scott, who Caldwell says has already had a positive influence on him and the group.

“He has a lot of trust in us and is easy to talk to,” Caldwell said.

Scott’s approach suits Caldwell, who displayed a team-first work ethic throughout his junior years, with the coach trusting the team’s ability to attack if they get the defensive elements of the game right.

“We haven’t even touched on offence to be honest,” Caldwell said.

MY BOY 😁

Has had a lot of injuries as a junior including a bruised kidney, calf and hamstring issues and getting nearly wiped out by Preuss in U18s, then hamstring issues at AFL level.

Last year he apparently PLAYED WITH AN AC JOINT INJURY THAT REQUIRED SURGERY.... because he could still run.

Apparently doing extra pilates, yoga and a massage to keep the injury issues in check and prepare for stupid GPS numbers in games (16km!)

MY BOY 😁
My fav player this year. Thought he really stood up at big moments and played some unreal footy. Stoked he got through most of the year

MY BOY 😁
Nice article on his role
He and duz bring a lot to the table for us.

#afllifestyle :p

Hip injury, expected to be ready for day 1 of pre-season
Im really bullish on Jye and how high his ceiling is. Could be a genuine star inside midfielder with the ability to hit the scoreboard. We saw glimpses when given more responsibility in the middle of the year (round 10 - 17 averaged 24 possessions a game).

He and Hobbs could be a killer 1 - 2 punch inside the contest if he continues to build on his last 24 matches at EFC.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was also a reason we dominated in the last quarter. He seems to be a big game player and rises to the occasion. Perkins is the same as well.
Perkins seems like a moments player, similar to Stringer. Rises when the team needs it. Caldwell is more a death by a thousand cuts type player, like Merrett. Does his role and does it well

Perkins seems like a moments player, similar to Stringer. Rises when the team needs it. Caldwell is more a death by a thousand cuts type player, like Merrett. Does his role and does it well
Caldwell kicked two big goals from the pocket v St Kilda in the last to level the scores and give us a real chance.
He kicked the winning goal vs Brisbane at the Gabba in 2022.
He kicked two 4th quarter goals vs Port at the MCG at the 20th minute mark (scores after goal 61-72 Port's way) and the 28th minute mark to put us in front (73-72 Essendon's way).

Not to mention all of the other things he does to lift the side in the 4th. I'd say Caldwell is a big game player that rises to the occasion when the game is in the balance.

other than zach theres no other bomber I trust as much as Jye to deliver the ball inside 50. Can almost guarantee it ends up as a shot at goal

Caldwell kicked two big goals from the pocket v St Kilda in the last to level the scores and give us a real chance.
He kicked the winning goal vs Brisbane at the Gabba in 2022.
He kicked two 4th quarter goals vs Port at the MCG at the 20th minute mark (scores after goal 61-72 Port's way) and the 28th minute mark to put us in front (73-72 Essendon's way).

Not to mention all of the other things he does to lift the side in the 4th. I'd say Caldwell is a big game player that rises to the occasion when the game is in the balance.
fair shout

Remove this Banner Ad

Back