Player Watch #6 Logan McDonald

Remove this Banner Ad

I am terrible at this but what sort of weight can we expect McDonald to put on? Does he have a body like Blakey who will most likely always be a bit thin, or does he have a body capable of reaching 100kg and being able to throw his weight around a bit?
Have a look at his frame.

He will be a monster if he wants to and works it.

Spent enough time around the iron to know it.

I don't think we should underestimate the fact we are fortunate to pick up three draftees who played this year. It'll be interesting to see how the lost year of development impacts the draftees who missed the season.

Logan had the advantage of also playing against men. Just listened to an interview where he said he got hold of Josh Kennedy's training program, spent a lot of time in the country growing up so isn't fazed by moving away.

I don't think we should underestimate the fact we are fortunate to pick up three draftees who played this year. It'll be interesting to see how the lost year of development impacts the draftees who missed the season.

Logan had the advantage of also playing against men. Just listened to an interview where he said he got hold of Josh Kennedy's training program, spent a lot of time in the country growing up so isn't fazed by moving away.
Likely top three draft selection and Perth key forward Logan McDonald talks about his amazing year, how he has kept a level head with all the hype, why he loved it at Lathlain this year, why he is happy to go anywhere in the draft and doesn’t think he’ll get homesick, how he got hold of Josh Kennedy’s training program during COVID, the strength of the WA crop in 2020, why he is such a good kick and his love of Collingwood and Scott Pendlebury.

Have a look at his frame.

He will be a monster if he wants to and works it.

Spent enough time around the iron to know it.
He has broad shoulders and a strong frame. Should be able to carry another 6 or 7 kg added gradually. As long as he doesn't lose too much leap, agility and acceleration.
Big thing will be to turn softish boy muscles into hard man muscles.
Damn lucky he slid to us.

Four clubs said they would take Grainger-Barras, four said McDonald and three went with Thilthorpe, while Hollands received one vote.

If they wanted a defender, they would've just taken DGB.

Rest assured, McDonald is on our list to kick bags of goals.
And to swing back at the end of quarters. Got to be realistic here :p

“It was an unreal feeling and it still hasn’t sunk in, to be going to such a successful club. The list is in a great spot and I just can’t wait to get over there and start working hard,” McDonald said.
“I’ve already had so many kind messages from a lot of the players, coaches and staff, and I’m just wrapped and couldn’t be any happier.
“My family is super proud and so happy for me – Mum was bawling for five minutes, but she’s fine now – and it’s just a really good time for my family and everyone who has helped me along the journey.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully they have him on a flight today, get stuck into pre season
and have many of our players (JPK, Lance, etc) meet him at the airport - given our other 2 drafts are local boys.

I really want to reiterate with this kid, his dominance in the WAFL as well as his rediculous improvements are worth the risk of pick 1 let alone pick 4.
If he doesn't continue to improve he'll just be a stock standard 2nd or 3rd tall, but if he continues to improve he'll easily be best in the draft, and maybe the next best kpf.

I still think DGB is safer, but not many could resit betting on McDonald's monumental rate of improvement.

Seems genuinely happy and his family look like good folk and supportive. It's his work rate at the end of the day that stands out for me. Runs the 2 km faster than Will Philips for example. Always talking about hard work when he talks and you sense a lot of resolve there. It's an outstanding foundation at such a young age.

Sounds like he'll be barfing at half time and making sure he's presenting just as hard in the last 5 min of each quarter as the first.

Can seriously kick a long goal ala Patton which I like.

Maybe not the fanciest, but effective. Will only get better and stronger. Watch out comp.

I really want to reiterate with this kid, his dominance in the WAFL as well as his rediculous improvements are worth the risk of pick 1 let alone pick 4.
If he doesn't continue to improve he'll just be a stock standard 2nd or 3rd tall, but if he continues to improve he'll easily be best in the draft, and maybe the next best kpf.

I still think DGB is safer, but not many could resit betting on McDonald's monumental rate of improvement.

DGB will be a quality player I'm sure of it. But if we used pick 4, our highest pick in decades, on an intercept defender... vomit.

Love that the club saw the opportunity, took it, and filled a massive need, even if not the exact massive need I had hoped for.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back