Player Watch #6 Logan McDonald

Remove this Banner Ad

cherub

All Australian
Aug 12, 2009
Shenton Park
AFL Club
Sydney
Yep. WA closed its borders, and even with Sydney letting the interstate guys go today I am not sure the WA guys are going to make it back in time.
It's a question of whether it's worth coming back to spend 2 weeks in self isolation. ( My daughter is flying back today, to live here permanently.) The other issue is the rate of change of the rules. In less than 24hrs it went from no quarantine, to quarantining until you get your compulsory test result, to 2 weeks self-isolation. The next step would be hotel quarantine, at your own expense.
If I were Westralian in NSW, I'd find a nice coastal beach( not Northern) and have a 2 week holiday.

Oct 17, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
If he flew back with his family, it is probably worthwhile for his whole family to isolate at home together over christmas.

I did not see him at training today. So the club might have anticipated what would happen and put him on an earlier flight. Also did not see Carruthers, Warner, Mcinerney, Rowbottom, Gould, Stephens or Florent. So the club might have tried to fly them out early.

GoTheSwannies

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Why? Chased Daniher last season were linked to Hogan, McCartin.

Pretty obvious we were hunting for a KPF its purely luck and that he managed to land to us.

It's those moments of luck that usually lead to grander things down the track!!

I'm pretty bullish about our position over the next few years.

Oct 17, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I had a look at a few of the CH7 WAFL replays before they expired.

In the short term I think he will be more of a 3rd tall who makes smart leads, has good hands and can kick straight.

Initially I don't think he will be a Hawkins/Dixon dominant marking target in the forward line. We will still need Franklin, Reid, McCartin or Mclean to give him support. Like how McCartin struggled at the start of last season when he had to be the main tall forward.

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
I had a look at a few of the CH7 WAFL replays before they expired.

In the short term I think he will be more of a 3rd tall who makes smart leads, has good hands and can kick straight.

Initially I don't think he will be a Hawkins/Dixon dominant marking target in the forward line. We will still need Franklin, Reid, McCartin or Mclean to give him support. Like how McCartin struggled at the start of last season when he had to be the main tall forward.
Seemed like his main skill was getting away from his marker. Leads in all directions. Still has a fair bit of filling out to do, so I think you're probably pretty right.
Longer term I can see him as a mobile CHF a la Buddy or Jack Riewoldt with McLean or Paddy McCartin operating out of the square. Easy to forget that McLean is quite young (21?).
Heeney, Parker, Hayward, Dawson all add to the marking power too.

Oct 17, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Yes I was thinking about people's expectations. Drafting a highly rated KPF won't alone solve our forward line issues or be a successor to Franklin/Reid.

To be effective he will probably have to form a partnership with another tall. As well as being able to combine with guys like Heeney and Papley as a forward unit.

GoTheSwannies

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Seemed like his main skill was getting away from his marker. Leads in all directions. Still has a fair bit of filling out to do, so I think you're probably pretty right.
Longer term I can see him as a mobile CHF a la Buddy or Jack Riewoldt with McLean or Paddy McCartin operating out of the square. Easy to forget that McLean is quite young (21?).
Heeney, Parker, Hayward, Dawson all add to the marking power too.

From the little I've seen of him I think McLean has a lot of potential. I'm hoping in time he becomes a strong target up forward, as well as an imposing enforcer.

Yes I was thinking about people's expectations. Drafting a highly rated KPF won't alone solve our forward line issues or be a successor to Franklin/Reid.

To be effective he will probably have to form a partnership with another tall. As well as being able to combine with guys like Heeney and Papley as a forward unit.

McLean

ScottBo

Team Captain
Aug 17, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
It's those moments of luck that usually lead to grander things down the track!!

I'm pretty bullish about our position over the next few years.
Agree. Extra lucky when you consider the Hawks interest in and bidding on Campbell. If we'd snuck home against Geelong or Gold Coast had beaten Hawthorn then our draft haul might've been very different. I see McDonald as a free hit. To get a player some had as the No. 1 pick in the draft as that lucky pick-up is even sweeter.

PC101220PRK809002719.JPG

Logan McDonald
[Player Profile TBA]

Pick 4

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Agree. Extra lucky when you consider the Hawks interest in and bidding on Campbell. If we'd snuck home against Geelong or Gold Coast had beaten Hawthorn then our draft haul might've been very different. I see McDonald as a free hit. To get a player some had as the No. 1 pick in the draft as that lucky pick-up is even sweeter.

It is fascinating nobody really predicted Hawks will bid on Campbell till it happened on the night, in contrary had we lost a few more games in 2019 we may of gotten Rowell.

Unless I'm being optimistic here and thinking SURELY Horse won't be satisfied with just Reid & Sinclair, then I think that if McDonald's not debuting straight away it's because McLean is getting games instead. That can only be a good thing, as it means we have another young forward putting his hand up. And considering for a while there last year - with McLean's contract status uncertain, McCartin playing as a defender, and McDonald not yet drafted - it seemed like we might not have a single young KPF prospect on the list, that would be a win to suddenly have two.

Aug 25, 2008
Leeds/'Berra/Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Unless I'm being optimistic here and thinking SURELY Horse won't be satisfied with just Reid & Sinclair, then I think that if McDonald's not debuting straight away it's because McLean is getting games instead. That can only be a good thing, as it means we have another young forward putting his hand up. And considering for a while there last year - with McLean's contract status uncertain, McCartin playing as a defender, and McDonald not yet drafted - it seemed like we might not have a single young KPF prospect on the list, that would be a win to suddenly have two.

You're forgetting the other option - Franklin gets his body right, experiences a Rennaissance of early 2010 magnitudes and kicks 80 goals from CHF.

A man can dream.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back