Player Watch #6 Logan McDonald

Remove this Banner Ad

Logan is kinda skinny, but look at Sam back then (this popped up on my youtube for some reason). and Macca was bald as..me too mind..

Even now I'd back Logan against Sam in a physical contest.

I've always thought core strength is something that Reid lacks, whereas Logan plants those legs and you're going to have a heck of a job trying to move him.

I've always thought core strength is something that Reid lacks, whereas Logan plants those legs and you're going to have a heck of a job trying to move him.

For all of Sam's faults, he doesn't actually get beat one on one very often.

Usually manages to bring the ball to the ground.

It’s just a matter of time before Logan bags 4+ in a game. His kicking style is beautiful but he’s had a few near misses, not to mention he’s given a few off.

His goals seem to be on the run or wheeling around so whenever he has a game when he nails a handful of set shots he’ll kick a bag.

I love that he’s not just a marking forward. He’s smooth, he keeps other players in the game and more importantly keeps himself in the game. One more preseason working on that upper body strength and he’ll be the perfect forward. He’s so smart beyond his years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s just a matter of time before Logan bags 4+ in a game. His kicking style is beautiful but he’s had a few near misses, not to mention he’s given a few off.

His goals seem to be on the run or wheeling around so whenever he has a game when he nails a handful of set shots he’ll kick a bag.

I love that he’s not just a marking forward. He’s smooth, he keeps other players in the game and more importantly keeps himself in the game. One more preseason working on that upper body strength and he’ll be the perfect forward. He’s so smart beyond his years.

Good to see Logan made a tackle this weekend. If he picks up that part of his game he'll be the complete package. He has 1 for the season. Wicks already has 15, Gulden 7, Papley 6, Reid 5, Heeney 5. Forward 50 tackles were a big part of why we were able to lock the ball inside 50 against Richmond.

Good to see Logan made a tackle this weekend. If he picks up that part of his game he'll be the complete package. He has 1 for the season. Wicks already has 15, Gulden 7, Papley 6, Reid 5, Heeney 5. Forward 50 tackles were a big part of why we were able to lock the ball inside 50 against Richmond.

When you consider Reid led our forward 50 tackles for 2019 you can see how big of an impact Wicks (in particular) and Gulden are having.

He’s so smart beyond his years.
I really like that he doesn't get involved in a contest unless he can make an impact.

He is quite happy to run fwd (eg that aerial tap on goal yesterday) if he thinks that is how he can best influence the game.
Similarly he has stood outside ground ball contests and when the ball comes out doesn't take possession but taps on to advantage.

A lot of young players feel that they need to be 'seen' to be doing something.
Logan rarely gets flustered, has plenty of confidence and footy smarts and add in his actual football skills......well all I can say is thanks Norf.

Not just tackles either. There is a terrific clip of Reid at training where he pressures 3 defenders. Holds them up and may force an error through pressure. No tackle but just keeps at them. All these guys put the pressure on big time, as do visiting mids. Great to see.

Logan is stronger at the same age but Reid's still our best contested mark and has been for the past 5 years or so.

All Logan needs for a Sydney premiership is a Sydney girlfriend.
Can’t let this boy get homesick !!!
We don't often lose players to homesickness, we've been able to create a culture that interstate player's want to stay at, Logan looks to have settled with this squad from what I can gather from his body language, and I have been paying attention because I want him to be a one club legend! I think the best example of this is Luke Parker when a few VIC clubs were trying convince him to return home a few years ago and well Tom Papley's love for the club demanded that he choose to stay.

The only player I can think of leaving to homesickness in recent times is Zac Jones and weirdly Lewis Johnston, there's probably more but they're the only 2 I can think of off the top of my head.

We don't often lose players to homesickness, we've been able to create a culture that interstate player's want to stay at, Logan looks to have settled with this squad from what I can gather from his body language, and I have been paying attention because I want him to be a one club legend! I think the best example of this is Luke Parker when a few VIC clubs were trying convince him to return home a few years ago and well Tom Papley's love for the club demanded that he choose to stay.

The only player I can think of leaving to homesickness in recent times is Zac Jones and weirdly Lewis Johnston, there's probably more but they're the only 2 I can think of off the top of my head.
Luke Parker has had a Sydney gf for 8 years and Papley almost left to be with his Melbourne girl, but I take your point about the culture.
And the beaches :think:

He actually wanted to leave to be closer to his Dad who suffers from bipolar disorder, it's been pretty well reported
And he has recently said that his Dad has got his bipolar into much better shape and his girl has moved up to be with him (she is a nurse so should be able to get work) so atm his life is pretty damn good. So good news all round.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Come on Logan kick a bag this week and get the team to four wins on the trot, then get the RS nom next week for four on the trot there too :)
If they start doing something stupid like trying to feed him goals when they shouldn't I'm going to go spare. They keep doing it with Campbell and its driving me nuts.

If they start doing something stupid like trying to feed him goals when they shouldn't I'm going to go spare. They keep doing it with Campbell and its driving me nuts.

Was it Wicks last week as well? So unfortunate that Braeden's goal was stolen by the umps in round 1. Everyone else has been making the same play, and there's no whistle blown

To be fair Campbell has a massive boot and did kick a goal before being recalled by the ump 2 games ago. I think it's been a legitimate option, similar with Dawson.

Why would they do that? He’s kicking goals fine without that sort of help.

West Coast Eagles News 7 News Perth interviewed him tonight. I would link it, but I can't find it, and anyway, it was literally 60 seconds of him talking about how great Buddy is and looking like he'd rather be in Abu Ghraib than doing an interview.

West Coast Eagles News 7 News Perth interviewed him tonight. I would link it, but I can't find it, and anyway, it was literally 60 seconds of him talking about how great Buddy is and looking like he'd rather be in Abu Ghraib than doing an interview.

You just know they’ll be all over him and they can get *****d!

I don't envy the young lads doing these interviews at the start of their career. The mental gymnastic mantra of "Don'tfrackitup Don't frackitup!!"

All they want is it to be over so they can go back to talking like a normal human being.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back