Player Watch #6 Logan McDonald

Remove this Banner Ad

Also the one who got his hand in to turn the ball over from Gawn's kick which went to Warner then Papley for his first in the 2nd quarter. He's active, disciplined, and working his tail off. No way he gets dropped imo despite how little of the ball he's winning. His chasing and tackling are making up for that and the current dynamic of extreme pressure in the forward half is too precious to mess with right now. The number of tackles we're laying in the forward 50 the last 2 months has been enormous.

He was also a decent out for us from defensive 50 on a few occasions last night.

And led Petty away from the contest.

I like how Mcdonald does his work off the ball or drifts into the play when he is struggling

At times he doesn't draw the defence much but they seem to be good at then moving him around.

you can see the talent is there

I like how Mcdonald does his work off the ball or drifts into the play when he is struggling

At times he doesn't draw the defence much but they seem to be good at then moving him around.

you can see the talent is there
And he gets back in defence. You will see him up the wings. In one play last night he took a great mark on the wing , then ran forward and took an inside 50 mark in the same chain. High work rate indeed.

And he gets back in defence. You will see him up the wings. In one play last night he took a great mark on the wing , then ran forward and took an inside 50 mark in the same chain. High work rate indeed.
I think that's the sort of player he will become. He will just cover huge distances and burn his opponents taking marks all over the ground and then pushing hard forward.

He is going to be huge for us in a couple of years.

Everyone's concentrating too much on the goals column, He played a decoy role for much of the night, trying to draw Petty away from the action, and then worked hard off the ball as well (remember who it was that had the clearing kick after that Fox smother?). I think another reason he's ahead of Amartey and McLean is he is cleaner than those 2 when the ball hits the deck, and along with Papley and Heeney provides us with a distinct advantage over the opposition defenders.

Getting back to help in that Fox smother shows how hard he's willing to work regardless of how much footy he's getting

Despite the weight of opinion, I would replace him with Amartey or McLean. Not a knock on Logan but more about the balance of the team. If Buddy gets locked down he needs to go upfield, which is where Logan also plays. Personally, I think we need a guy who can smash packs, take marks AND be a back-up ruckman if RJ or Reid go down.

Logan will shine once Buddy retires which IMHO should be after we win the flag this year.

Despite the weight of opinion, I would replace him with Amartey or McLean. Not a knock on Logan but more about the balance of the team. If Buddy gets locked down he needs to go upfield, which is where Logan also plays. Personally, I think we need a guy who can smash packs, take marks AND be a back-up ruckman if RJ or Reid go down.

Logan will shine once Buddy retires which IMHO should be after we win the flag this year.

Yeah no thanks. Not going to bring in either of those two who are useless in defensive efforts let’s not pretend Buddy is great at it now either. Why do we need a backup ruck when Freo have one ruck and the Pies have two backups in the ruck. Logan will learn so much playing in these games. He’s doing the team things and he gave us a few big contested marks on Friday.

Yeah no thanks. Not going to bring in either of those two who are useless in defensive efforts let’s not pretend Buddy is great at it now either. Why do we need a backup ruck when Freo have one ruck and the Pies have two backups in the ruck. Logan will learn so much playing in these games. He’s doing the team things and he gave us a few big contested marks on Friday.
Strongly agree.

Logan seems to get under the ball alot and is often nudged / pushed under the ball in the forward 50. Amartey and Mclean do that less and do manage to either mark or get the ball to ground but they just cant apply the same defensive pressure. Point in case, Logan disrupted the Max Gawn kick which led to goal and Melbourne basically gave up on corridor after that failed play. He was obviously also back as an outlet handball after the fox smother. Dont think Mclean or Amartey get there to be that outlet.

Logan is also way better at ground level and has some quickfire handball assists. I never seem to see Amartey or Mclean provide assists.

Would be a huge call to drop someone in a team that's won 8 straight and to mess with a winning formula.

Aam
Strongly agree.

Logan seems to get under the ball alot and is often nudged / pushed under the ball in the forward 50. Amartey and Mclean do that less and do manage to either mark or get the ball to ground but they just cant apply the same defensive pressure. Point in case, Logan disrupted the Max Gawn kick which led to goal and Melbourne basically gave up on corridor after that failed play. He was obviously also back as an outlet handball after the fox smother. Dont think Mclean or Amartey get there to be that outlet.

Logan is also way better at ground level and has some quickfire handball assists. I never seem to see Amartey or Mclean provide assists.

Would be a huge call to drop someone in a team that's won 8 straight and to mess with a winning formula.

Amartey was playing just back in rounds 18/19

Amartey has improved his pressure on and off the ball this year and id say he is a bit ahead of Logan there.
Mcdonald seems to cover more ground (i don't know for sure), and Logan is better low down and creating some opportunities.
If as people on here are posting, Mcdonald was playing his role last week, then he will stay in the team for sure

Strongly agree.

I do lowkey think McDonald has one of the best handballs in the side

IF you are correct I would go McLean who is more solid both as a pack mark and kick for goal under pressure. Plus he has a pretty good line in goal assists.
Not sure you are correct but worth consideration.
I don't think they'll make unforced changes from here on in.
Ryan "Mitch Morton" Clarke. 😉😉😉

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Logan McDonald will play, and I am going to tip him to have a breakout game sinilar to Tom Hawkins in 2011 GF.

A quiet night from Mcdonald and likely the only player up for discussion at the selection committee meeting for the prelim.
Similarly had a no impact game against Collingwood, while his 2 goals against the saints probably kept him in the frame for the Melbourne final.

Amartey and Mclean both in the conversation and both can push their own claims for the spot on the VFL final against the Gold Coast on Sunday

I was shot down when i posted this a couple of weeks back but unfortunately for Mcdonald the signs were there the last 2 finals and before.
It is possible Reid doesnt play and is pulled at the last minute, and Logan is back in.
It would be a tough pill for Logan.

* that is so tough and I feel for Logan but could be the right call considering the matchup and in the event Reid goes down

Remove this Banner Ad

Back