#6 Luke Jackson - Going west (life is peaceful there)

Remove this Banner Ad

Of all ******* players you choose a kid ******* w***er who thinks hes gods gift who looks like a ******* simpsons character? fu** me trade the campaigner i want none of that. Oh i was taking about Jake Stringer Doh! Nah good write up cheers for that. Oh get f’ed if he moves like Jesse Stringer the campaigner will be delisted end of the year anyway. But i wanted a player at pick 3 after watching a 5minute video. how could i possibly be wrong.
I nearly had an aneurysm reading this, can anyone translate?

Of all ******* players you choose a kid ******* w***er who thinks hes gods gift who looks like a ******* simpsons character? fu** me trade the campaigner i want none of that. Oh i was taking about Jake Stringer Doh! Nah good write up cheers for that. Oh get f’ed if he moves like Jesse Stringer the campaigner will be delisted end of the year anyway. But i wanted a player at pick 3 after watching a 5minute video. how could i possibly be wrong.
I still don't know if I should say thank you, or apologise haha. I meant Jake stringer, the lover of barely legals, not Jesse stringer, the pig farmer from warramboo 😂

I snuck down to watch our boys train today. First time since Feb 2018.

Was my first look at this kid. I honestly could see him playing any position on the ground. I was fairly questionable on the merits of picking him, but like when people tell me how to do my job that gave NFI about it,I wasn't about to question Taylor and these guys who watched him more than I prior to the draft.

He covers the ground like a friggin tarantula.he isn't fast like a jayden hunt or equivalent, but it's almost graceful. He has a huge leap, be it jumping for marks or in the ruck work he did. He took one strong grab over I think was petty, but then swung around and handballed to langdon almost before he got back to ground. Another pass from Pickett he grabbed on the lead and nearly jumpedright over Jones. The Grundy comparisons were fairly accurate but even Grundy at times still looks "big" if that makes sense. Jackson looks to be more agile and move faster.

Obviously all this means little as it was a windy Wednesday morning in January, and he still looks fairly lean and easy to push around. Plus his fitness looks like he blows up fairly quick still. But he kicks both feet really well, it looks a little awkward, but he missed basically nothing I saw today.

For me, tippett isn't a great comparison as he is much quicker thinking and moving, especially getting ball hand to foot. But from the hour I saw today of him, the player he moves most similarly to is a Jesse Stringer type almost. Now, the proof is obviously a long way off and I don't want to sound like I'm talking him up too much, but from what I saw today, I don't think any Melbourne supporters will care about who they originally wanted at pick 3 in 3 years time.
The mistaken Stringer aside, that's a great write up mate, really looking forward to seeing for myself when the team are up on the Sunny Coast in a couple of weeks.

On the off chance your love struck eyes found anyone else during the session, feel free to drop some thoughts on them in the Pre-Season thread.

The mistaken Stringer aside, that's a great write up mate, really looking forward to seeing for myself when the team are up on the Sunny Coast in a couple of weeks.

On the off chance your love struck eyes found anyone else during the session, feel free to drop some thoughts on them in the Pre-Season thread.
Poor old Jesse Stringer!

Of the under 20 brigade, James Jordon kicks the footy as good as anyone around. Bedford looks super fit. He gets to every contest, and his skills aren't bad. I don't think he will be a small forward, I think he might end up playing high half forward with his endurance, up and down the ground pushing deep forward. He can run and run. I can see him playing that Willie/Dan rioli style.

Kozzie Pickett has fan favourite written all over him. He has amazing agility. An unreal sidestep, and he looks near on impossible to tackle. Certain players, when they kick the ball you can almost hear it explode off the boot. Pickett kicks like that.

Kyle dunkley is someone I can see playing a lot this year, he gets to contests, uses the ball fairly well and looks strong in the contest. but, you hardly notice him at training unless you look for him, but hes always there.

Everyone looks elite at training, skills today were not terrible considering it was fairly windy, but training is so far different to game day obviously. Take weideman for example, he took some good grabs today and looks huge, kicked goals and looks like he will kick 60 goals this year. Definitely moved better than any game I watched him last year.

Poor old Jesse Stringer!

Of the under 20 brigade, James Jordon kicks the footy as good as anyone around. Bedford looks super fit. He gets to every contest, and his skills aren't bad. I don't think he will be a small forward, I think he might end up playing high half forward with his endurance, up and down the ground pushing deep forward. He can run and run. I can see him playing that Willie/Dan rioli style.

Kozzie Pickett has fan favourite written all over him. He has amazing agility. An unreal sidestep, and he looks near on impossible to tackle. Certain players, when they kick the ball you can almost hear it explode off the boot. Pickett kicks like that.

Kyle dunkley is someone I can see playing a lot this year, he gets to contests, uses the ball fairly well and looks strong in the contest. but, you hardly notice him at training unless you look for him, but hes always there.

Everyone looks elite at training, skills today were not terrible considering it was fairly windy, but training is so far different to game day obviously. Take weideman for example, he took some good grabs today and looks huge, kicked goals and looks like he will kick 60 goals this year. Definitely moved better than any game I watched him last year.
Good insights! If Weid can at least kick 1.5 goals a game this year and give the opposition something to worry about that would be a good result. Fingers crossed.

Good insights! If Weid can at least kick 1.5 goals a game this year and give the opposition something to worry about that would be a good result. Fingers crossed.
It would be nice seeing him just play 20 games or more. I've seen a lot of people write him off but he's battled injury for the near duration of his career. If he can play 20 plus games, the goals/stats should look after themselves.

His grandfather did tell me and a few others 2 years ago that "he's as soft as sponge cake if he hardens up he will be alright" which I think was a pretty fair description between him being a nice footballer, or a beast.

call me old fashioned hell maybe even call be dumb and crazy but I am going to wait until I see the kid play a few games before I can him a donkey, Stringer MK2, Grundy MK2 or whether he will be/won't be a ruckman, forward or 50+ goal a year player

call me old fashioned hell maybe even call be dumb and crazy but I am going to wait until I see the kid play a few games before I can him a donkey, Stringer MK2, Grundy MK2 or whether he will be/won't be a ruckman, forward or 50+ goal a year player
I dunno, for me if he doesn't shine in pre season it validates that we've thrown away our future for nothing.

Well that wouldn't be much fun, would it?

The only way these forums operate are through wild speculation based off small sample sizes

I saw 30 seconds of Jacksons' highlights and I just don't see it

Well that wouldn't be much fun, would it?

The only way these forums operate are through wild speculation based off small sample sizes

I saw 30 seconds of Jacksons' highlights and I just don't see it
but in the 3 second gif I have I can tell has has it

Yeah, which I tried to hose down in my post. After 1 big grab and a handball out to Pickett in the match sim, I've seen enough to nickname him goat goatson now, but don't mind me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was my first look at this kid. I honestly could see him playing any position on the ground. I was fairly questionable on the merits of picking him, but like when people tell me how to do my job that gave NFI about it,I wasn't about to question Taylor and these guys who watched him more than I prior to the draft.

He covers the ground like a friggin tarantula.he isn't fast like a jayden hunt or equivalent, but it's almost graceful. He has a huge leap, be it jumping for marks or in the ruck work he did. He took one strong grab over I think was petty, but then swung around and handballed to langdon almost before he got back to ground. Another pass from Pickett he grabbed on the lead and nearly jumpedright over Jones. The Grundy comparisons were fairly accurate but even Grundy at times still looks "big" if that makes sense. Jackson looks to be more agile and move faster.

Obviously all this means little as it was a windy Wednesday morning in January, and he still looks fairly lean and easy to push around. Plus his fitness looks like he blows up fairly quick still. But he kicks both feet really well, it looks a little awkward, but he missed basically nothing I saw today.

For me, tippett isn't a great comparison as he is much quicker thinking and moving, especially getting ball hand to foot. But from the hour I saw today of him, the player he moves most similarly to is a Jesse Stringer type almost. Now, the proof is obviously a long way off and I don't want to sound like I'm talking him up too much, but from what I saw today, I don't think any Melbourne supporters will care about who they originally wanted at pick 3 in 3 years time.
He sounds like Adam Goodes off this evidence. Fingers crossed.

Luke Jackson shows some really positive signs yesterday

Can leap and take a mark and looks super agile around the ground
The Grundy comparison is pretty apt.

Honestly this feels like a lifetime ago.

Imagine the joy of fond, distant memories of watching training when housebound on 8 hour zoom calls...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back