6 Reasons why not to drink pasteurised milk.

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't want to say anything as it'd stoke the flames in here but, I found it a little ironic that this pic was posted at the same time as a pro-butter post in another thread, butter is fine but when the subject of milk comes up - the well known vegan rhetoric surfaces. Again I don't mean to intentionally stoke the fires in here but logic says you can't have it both ways seeing as butter is made from milk.

I didn't want to say anything as it'd stoke the flames in here but, I found it a little ironic that this pic was posted at the same time as a pro-butter post in another thread, butter is fine but when the subject of milk comes up - the well known vegan rhetoric surfaces. Again I don't mean to intentionally stoke the fires in here but logic says you can't have it both ways seeing as butter is made from milk.
Butter is fine, as there is less than 1g per 100g of protein and that all but eliminates Casein, and you can clarify it into Ghee if your lactose intolerant.

I see your point but eating butter from the milk of grassfed non hormone pumped cows is allot different to drinking milk from cows that a factory farmed , pumped full of hormones & antibiotics & fed poor quality grains/soy/corn.

I see your point but eating butter from the milk of grassfed non hormone pumped cows is allot different to drinking milk from cows that a factory farmed , pumped full of hormones & antibiotics & fed poor quality grains/soy/corn.
Bovine somatotropin is illegal in Australia.

Taken 4 months off from the gym (ugh, so demotivating now) but good to see this old debate is still going strong.

On a related note, I've been drinking gallons of this milk stuff over the break and still seem to be doing alright. Will keep you guys posted.

Taken 4 months off from the gym (ugh, so demotivating now) but good to see this old debate is still going strong.

On a related note, I've been drinking gallons of this milk stuff over the break and still seem to be doing alright. Will keep you guys posted.

Vale. He died drinking what he loved.

The premise of not drinking milk is something that I do naturally anyway. Aside from the fact that I don't like the taste and the only milk products that I consume are cheese, yoghurt occasionally and sour cream. I was given an iced coffee the other day because I had to try it because "it was the best in the world" and I felt gross afterward. I'm sure that some people can drink it by the bucket load but I don't think that my body would cope with that too well. That's bast completely on personal experience.

It's always hard to interpret articles like these when they talk about milk specifically, then intersperse it with lines like this:

Studies have also shown that dairy products might increase a males risk of developing prostate cancer by 30 -50 percent.

Is it just milk they allege has the effect on the above? Or all dairy? I couldn't really give a s**t either way, but lines like this muddy the waters of credibility in articles that link these studies - possibly to suit the authors ideological views - who knows.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's always hard to interpret articles like these when they talk about milk specifically, then intersperse it with lines like this:

Is it just milk they allege has the effect on the above? Or all dairy? I couldn't really give a s**t either way, but lines like this muddy the waters of credibility in articles that link these studies - possibly to suit the authors ideological views - who knows.

There's a huge difference between raw organic milk & factory farmed milk, most studies would be done on supermarket milk, not milk fresh from a natural farm.

There's a huge difference between raw organic milk & factory farmed milk, most studies would be done on supermarket milk, not milk fresh from a natural farm.
I think you may have missed the point I was raising. It's not the quality of milk in analysis i was questioning, rather that the results of said analysis re: milk were then applied to cover all dairy in a blanket summary.

I think you may have missed the point I was raising. It's not the quality of milk in analysis i was questioning, rather that the results of said analysis re: milk were then applied to cover all dairy in a blanket summary.

Isn't all dairy derived from milk?

I feel like I've hit a paradox here as this discussion conflicts with posts 555, 556 & 557 re: butter. Is butter good, but now still cancer causing - due to it being derived from milk? Or is the point raised of casein being eliminated from butter enough for it not to be considered cancer causing - thus rendering the article Haden referenced rubbish?

SIX REASONS WHY NOT TO BUY PASTEURISED MILK FROM STORES

1. Pasteurized/Ultra-pasteurized

Heating milk destroys bacteria, but it also destroys enzymes, making it harder to digest. Many people diagnosed as lactose intolerant are only intolerant to pasteurized milk, because it lacks the enzymes necessary for digestion. The Campaign for Real Milk website notes that pasteurization's worst offense is the fact that it makes most of the calcium in milk insoluble - meaning the body is unable to use it. However, the pasteurization of industrial milk is actually necessary, because it's essentially dirty milk that would otherwise be dangerous.

Ultra-high temperature, or UHT, pasteurization, a processing method that heats milk to extreme temperatures, destroys virtually all the micro life within milk - making the proteins virtually indigestible. More than 80 percent of all the organic milk sold in the U.S. is UHT pasteurized.

2. Homogenized

Homogenization, a process often called "the worst thing dairymen have done to milk," is the breaking down of fat molecules in milk through very high pressure. This stops the fat from rising to the top and creates a "consistent" product. It also makes milk fat toxic to the body. Homogenization releases the enzyme xanthine oxidase, which is damaging to the body once it's broken into unnaturally small pieces. Arterial walls can begin to accumulate xanthine oxidase, which subsequently promotes heart disease.

3. Low fat/Non fat

When you consume low-fat or skim milk, not only are you drinking a denatured food, you're contributing to obesity. A 2005 study published in Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine followed 12,829 children ages 9 to 14 years. The study found that drinking reduced fat milk was associated with weight gain, whereas full-fat milk was not.

4. GMO grain-fed

Cows are meant to eat grass, not grains, which is why milk from grass-fed cows (raw milk) is much healthier. It's notably higher in CLA - a fat that can help you maintain a healthy weight and lower your risk for heart disease. In general, grain-fed cows that live in CAFOs produce less healthy milk that's lower in vitamins, minerals (particularly calcium) and omega-3 fats. As far as the GMO aspect goes, we've already seen what they do to pig's stomachs.

5. Antibiotics

80 percent of the antibiotics sold in this country are fed to food animals, and 23,000 people die from antibiotic-resistant infections each year. Coincidence? Not likely. The FDA allows antibiotic residue in milk, because there's really no way to avoid it, other than not using antibiotics. As a result, they decide what a safe level of antibiotic residue is, and that becomes the amount you're exposed to.

6. Hormones

Hormone levels in industrial milk are high for two reason: Cows are treated with artificial growth hormones created by bio-tech companies (which are banned in many countries), and they are milked about 300 days a year - for much of that time, they are pregnant. Milk from a pregnant cow contains 33 times more of the estrogen known as estrone sulfate than milk from a non-pregnant cow. Nobody knows the extent of the risks presented by these dietary hormones, but there is plenty of concern in the scientific community about their possible link to cancer.

Raw milk

If you're drinking raw, whole milk, you will, for the most part, avoid each of these issues. Despite what critics say about raw milk safety, the truth is that you're chances of being hospitalized from drinking raw milk are about one in six million. In other words, you're three times more likely to die in a plane crash than to be hospitalized from drinking raw milk.

I also recently learnt that all the grains that contain too much mould & are not suitable for cereal manufacturers are then fed to cows, cheap feed.

Another reason not to consume dairy or meat from grain fed cows.
Yes... Because the dairy industry is cruel...
Young cows are artificially inseminated, they are pregnant for 9 months, now they are producing lots of milk for their calf, they give birth and straight away have their calf taken away, the cow is sent back to the herd to have her milk sucked out every morning and evening, after about a year she will dry up and the get inseminated again and the process continues, for a few years, then she'll be killed and eaten. As for her calves - females will get the same treatment as the mother, males sent to the slaughter house!
3 facts: 1)We are the only species that consumes another species milk.. 2)We are the only species that consumes milk past infancy.. 3)We're the only species that suffers from osteoporosis.

3 Facts: 1)We are the only species that consumes many things, 2) does many things, 3) suffers from many things

Which suggests to me that it's prudent to constantly question and re-examine 1 and 2 as our knowledge of the body evolves to see if they bear any relationship to 3.

Which suggests to me that it's prudent to constantly question and re-examine 1 and 2 as our knowledge of the body evolves to see if they bear any relationship to 3.

the available research suggests a possible correlation between 3 and meat consumption, more than it does milk. 1 & 2 are (in a general sense) irrelevant as pointed out by Melvin. there is no inherent ill (or good) re doing something that other animals either do or don't do.

without even looking at the literature i bet there would be a handful of exceptions to 1, anyway. and most humans can't drink milk past adulthood either, for the same reasons other animals don't (loss of lactase enzyme- thanks wiki).

the available research suggests a possible correlation between 3 and meat consumption, more than it does milk. 1 & 2 are (in a general sense) irrelevant as pointed out by Melvin. there is no inherent ill (or good) re doing something that other animals either do or don't do.

without even looking at the literature i bet there would be a handful of exceptions to 1, anyway. and most humans can't drink milk past adulthood either, for the same reasons other animals don't (loss of lactase enzyme- thanks wiki).
What research suggesting a possible correlation between 3 and meat consumption are you referring to?

What research suggesting a possible correlation between 3 and meat consumption are you referring to?

http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/1996/11/eating-less-meat-may-help-reduce-osteoporosis-risk
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12437150
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/1083066.stm

there is more I think but I am at work currently. note I haven't read all of these studies nor am I asserting their veracity; just pointing out that the research does not currently support drinking milk as a leading cause of bone fracture.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back