Player Watch #6: Shaun Grigg

Remove this Banner Ad

At this stage I really can't see Grigg being replaced as our second ruck option. The advantages we gain from him in this role is that we have an additional midfielder on the ground. If the likes of CCJ or Balta were to take his place atm, we would be better in initial ruck duel but as soon as the ball is in despute, we would be worse off. If we were happy to play Balta or CCJ as our second tall (assuming Lynch isn't ready), then they could play ruck when Nank is off the ground but even this option means one less quality ball winner off the ground.

We have thrived with the current set up of using a tall midfielder until Grundy found a way to exploit the matchup in the Prelim. I would like to see the coaches experiment with the likes of Balta, Ross and CCJ this year as the second ruck around the ground but I am weary of making changes to proven set ups after one game.

(from what Balmey indicated, think Soldo is at the front of the queue)

the end of the Griggolo = the start of the Soldomania

Bruce:...can you feel the Soldomania in the air ? ohh....the wait is over, he goes up and THUMPS it hard....oohhh he really gave that a goooood haaaaaarrd penetrating THUMP that...how exciting !!

(from what Balmey indicated, think Soldo is at the front of the queue)

the end of the Griggolo = the start of the Soldomania

Bruce:...can you feel the Soldomania in the air ? ohh....the wait is over, he goes up and THUMPS it hard....oohhh he really gave that a goooood haaaaaarrd penetrating THUMP that...how exciting !!

I can imagine us playing Soldo as main tap ruck and Nank more around the ground. As long as Soldo is more capable and fitter it might work. But I am happy to go small and accept a losing ruck at times if need be. With a plan to deal with Grundy and Gawn as needs be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Genuine question - will Grigg ever play another game for us?
He deserves a farewell. Solid hardworking servant and an important part of the flag. Not every player is a star or the most skilled but he put his body on the line for the club for nearly 10 years and served the club well.

Makes sense to retire. What’s the point in coming back to maybe play 5 or so more games and keep a kid out of the team and hold back an opportunity to potentially get another gun on the list.
Common sense decision imo and well done Grigga if he agrees
Call me sentimental,But I'd have no problem if it was plausible to hold off on retiring so Grigga could have a send off game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back