Past #6: Taylor Garner - delisted end '21 - 49 NM games/37 NM goals - go well Garns

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not often you'd say you hope they bring back a favourite son of the club to play a farewell 50th game after 8 years in the system.....

If indeed he's not around next year then it's up there with Jesse Smith scale what-ifs. Ironically it's not a soft tissue injury that has been the issue this time, rather an incidental impact injury that is just pure bad luck. I think it's extremely unlikely, extremely, that they keep him on the list however he's shown this year what appears to be a sound body and at only 28 years of age appears like 'maybe' he was finally able to be the player we've always wanted him to be.

It's not often you'd say you hope they bring back a favourite son of the club to play a farewell 50th game after 8 years in the system.....

If indeed he's not around next year then it's up there with Jesse Smith scale what-ifs. Ironically it's not a soft tissue injury that has been the issue this time, rather an incidental impact injury that is just pure bad luck. I think it's extremely unlikely, extremely, that they keep him on the list however he's shown this year what appears to be a sound body and at only 28 years of age appears like 'maybe' he was finally able to be the player we've always wanted him to be.

Jesz, settle down.

Garner has had plenty of opportunities. He may only have 50 AFL games but he would have 60+ VFL games ontop of those AFL games. It's not all injury.

Smith played a maximum of about 30 senior AFL/VFL matches and looked several levels above Garner ever has and he did it as a 20/21 year old.

Smith was a 191cm midfielder with elite skills. He would have probably been a better version of David Mundy.

Last edited:
Jesz, settle down.

Garner has had plenty of opportunities. He may only have 50 AFL games but he would have 60+ VFL games ontop of those AFL games. It's not all injury.

Smith played a maximum of about 30 senior AFL/VFL matches and looked several levels above Garner ever has.
60+, really? I would expect it to be half that amount.

but yeah, pretty silly comparing him to JWS

Gotta love no update from the club on him. Tbf the roll did look pretty bad think the club are too optimistic. If he doesn't get up soon he's easily gone especially when we have zurhaar Taylor and Ford on the list

Too talented to not be on a list

assuming he gets back from his ankle injury next week and doesn’t get another injury for the rest of the year should get another year

When we ever just going to accept his body isn’t and hasn’t been able to keep up with footy. It’s so unfortunate because he is a star when on but he’s been cooked for years

Jesz, settle down.

Smith played a maximum of about 30 senior AFL/VFL matches and looked several levels above Garner ever has and he did it as a 20/21 year old.

Smith was a 191cm midfielder with elite skills. He would have probably been a better version of David Mundy.
Crikey I knew I was playing with fire by even mentioning Jesse. Still to this day the very mention of his name sets people off with all kinds of emotion. So yeah please settle down. I wasn't saying that Garner was or could have been as good as Jesse but he is a player who has shown spectacular traits in brief flashes throughout a career ravaged by soft tissue injuries. We've never seen his best on a consistent basis and my comment is based on the premise of 'what if' he hadn't had calves and hammies like tissue paper. Garner has always had elite skills, he could take mark of the year and he has always had beast mode. A round 1 draft pick, he could have been anything so that's where my comparison is coming from.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

By my count it will be his 100th game missed through injury if he doesn't play next week either...

View attachment 1169505
So he’s had double the amount of time off injured than actual AFL games ?!
I ask , which other AFL club would be putting up with this ?
As I said before... it all can’t all be bad luck with injury. (Yes , the last roller ankle was) but he’s had a heap of soft tissue injuries & not to mention the odd 1-2 off field indiscretions .
Either.....
1) his body is just not up to the riggers of AFL
Or
2) or he has just not put himself physically (especially early years) to getting his S & C right for AFL
Noble just like previous coaches seem to have a lot of time for TG & you can understand why sometimes with the stuff he brings to the team when he’s there but that’s just it ... to much time “not there” . Will be delisted at years end if doesn’t make it back other wise there are a few at NMFC surely taking the Pi55 with Garner .

Thing is that he is what we desperately need up forward. No obvious replacement. Good in air, good goal kicking this year, great pressure. I would rookie him until fords role clearer.

It's the same argument as usual for Garner, his football when playing has good enough but he hasn't been able to stay fit.

I absolutely love the way Garner plays and have always been a big fan but I'm really unsure if he stays on the list next year.

Guessing his time is almost up at North, body just didn't allow much continuity.

The romantic side of me would like to see a player like Taylor retire themselves and speak to the fans via the media and wave goodbye on the way to their next vocation.

Unfortunately it might be tracking to be another player who spends near a decade at the club then leaves via a delisting. Be great if not.

Zurhaar, Curtis, TT, Stevo, Ford with JHF to come. Writing is on the wall unfortunately.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back