Past #6: Taylor Garner - delisted end '21 - 49 NM games/37 NM goals - go well Garns

Groin guru

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 21, 2017
Destination Club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
1552213195016.png

rooboy29

All Australian
Jun 11, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
What’s the deal? Didn’t play a game last year and is still being managed?? Piss him off and put boomer back in the list. Has wasted a list spot for 8 years now. We know he can and play and has X factor etc but he never plays just move on

Remember reading similar criticisms of Tarrant and Higgins and how they couldn't get on the park. Don't see an issue keeping Garner in the hope that his body might get there

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app
With all due respect the injury issues that Taz and Higgins had are nothing compared to the ongoing issues that Garners had.

The continuous narrative surrounding Garner and his hamstring issues are becomming a blight on the club.
This is a footballer who has never completed a full pre-season, never played a full year and has spent 75% of his AFL career in rehab.
Being a professional footballer you need to reliable and available and he is neither of those. Just can’t see where his talent value outdoes his availability value any longer.

If he doesn't get on the park this year then we should pay him out and move on.

Until then, I am keeping the faith.
Agreed.

You would hope for 10 at an absolute minimum.

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
With all due respect the injury issues that Taz and Higgins had are nothing compared to the ongoing issues that Garners had.
Tarrant had 4 shoulder recos, two on each shoulder. Tibia stress fractures, back issues, hip issues. Exactly 39 games in 7 years. So with all due respect, probably comparable to Garner.

GarnerSmash

They tried to make me go to rehab
10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Tarrant had 4 shoulder recos, two on each shoulder. Tibia stress fractures, back issues, hip issues. Exactly 39 games in 7 years. So with all due respect, probably comparable to Garner.

Not really.

Garns has had the same issue, over and over. Thats chronic. There is only so much tissue you can tear and heal before you gotta just pack it in.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Took Tarrant 7 years to play 50 games. Happy to wait a little longer for garner. Turned out alright. Likewise Daw, no injury but club continued his development for years. Went ok last year.

Daw has had quite a few injuries over the journey. Including a dislocated foot, ouch.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I get that, but not putting the line through him given the club's ability to persist and get career best footy out of these guys

You haven't yet figured out that our board has a healthy representation of pessimism junkies?

Here's all that matters.

1) He's good enough to be on our list
2) He's not playing at the moment
3) He could play at any time in the future and
i) Never miss a game ever again
ii) Get injured again

Worrying about an unknown outcome like future injury is a completely stupid, pointless exercise.

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Poor bloke was dealt a cruel hand regarding hammies. Not his fault but regardless thats the state of play. Nothing going forward is going to change that unfortunately.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
The end of the season is the time to make the call on his future, not 2 weeks out from the start.

Does anyone really have a clue on his current status? This could be part if a long term course of sction.

We just need to wait and see what happens.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

We laid 22 tackles on the weekend
There were 34 goals kicked
He hasn’t played since August 2017
That was over 18 months ago

If he can’t get up for a breezy game on the weekend in the JLT and if after all this time on the sidelines we still can’t get him right then what chance we ever will

I want him to be fit and healthy as much as anything but it’s the continual he’s best 22 but not fit storyline that renders the question on how long do we wait?

We laid 22 tackles on the weekend
There were 34 goals kicked
He hasn’t played since August 2017
That was over 18 months ago

If he can’t get up for a breezy game on the weekend in the JLT and if after all this time on the sidelines we still can’t get him right then what chance we ever will

I want him to be fit and healthy as much as anything but it’s the continual he’s best 22 but not fit storyline that renders the question on how long do we wait?

I think the question has been answered reasonably on this page - we wait until the end of this season and assess what happened, rather than write him off in the fortnight before round 1, before anything has happened.

Last edited:

billnats

All Australian
Feb 4, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
SMFC & Tottenham
Funnily enough; if you asked me the following hypothetical:
A) Keep Garner and trade Wood
B) Keep Wood and delist Garner

I go A every day of the week. Both are utensil tease footballers that promise so much but don’t deliver. But only one actually has genuine talent; Garner

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think the question has been answered reasonably on this page - we wait until the end of this season and assess what happened, rather than write him off in the fortnight before round 1, before anything has happened.
I made my decision at the end of the season. the 2017 season. Sorry. Hes gone. I have moved on. Then again how many people couldnt accept harps was done.

Back