Past #6: Taylor Garner - delisted end '21 - 49 NM games/37 NM goals - go well Garns

GarnerSmash

They tried to make me go to rehab
10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I thought Garner was pretty good yesterday against the Swans. Played the second half and ended up with 11 touches and 5 marks. He looks proper fit for the first time in a long time, after having an uninterrupted run at it since his 'indiscretion' in Sydney last year.

I have been most impressed with his ability in the contest. He buries blokes in tackles and has an uncanny ability to work his hands free to get a handball to a team mate with blokes hanging off him, which is not something a lot of our blokes do. He also seems to have a clam head on his shoulders, making well though out decisions with the ball. Pity his execution can let him down sometimes. I'd like to see him run through the middle at times when we need an injection of physicality to shift momentum.

I have a funny feeling about Garner this year. I think something is going to click...

GarnerSmash

They tried to make me go to rehab
10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I thought Garner was pretty good yesterday against the Swans. Played the second half and ended up with 11 touches and 5 marks. He looks proper fit for the first time in a long time, after having an uninterrupted run at it since his 'indiscretion' in Sydney last year.

I have been most impressed with his ability in the contest. He buries blokes in tackles and has an uncanny ability to work his hands free to get a handball to a team mate with blokes hanging off him, which is not something a lot of our blokes do. He also seems to have a clam head on his shoulders, making well though out decisions with the ball. Pity his execution can let him down sometimes. I'd like to see him run through the middle at times when we need an injection of physicality to shift momentum.

I have a funny feeling about Garner this year. I think something is going to click...

He's a vital component of our ability to lock the ball in up forward.

KiwiRoo

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2007
New Zealand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I. He also seems to have a clam head on his shoulders, making well though out decisions with the ball. Pity his execution can let him down sometimes. I'd like to see him run through the middle at times when we need an injection of physicality to shift momentum.

probably because hes been drinking like a fish.....

He was like that against the dogs too. Not for long but he got in there early. Possibly ran out of gas a bit in that game.

hellas_johnny

Premiership Player
May 26, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
South Melbourne Hellas
can play the roll wood played last year but adds an extra aspect with his pressuring ability. just needs to keep playing the way he played the weekend. played only a half but looked really good.

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He is a match winner. His aggression and footy talent cannot be doubted. His class and clutch ability will be very valuable. We seem to have a fairly decent forward line, i would dare say premiership forward line. The likes of Zurhaar, Ziebell, Garner, Larkey and Brown is a dominant mix.

Mar 10, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He is a match winner. His aggression and footy talent cannot be doubted. His class and clutch ability will be very valuable. We seem to have a fairly decent forward line, i would dare say premiership forward line. The likes of Zurhaar, Ziebell, Garner, Larkey and Brown is a dominant mix.
Just how many matches has he won for us?
I love the guy for his attack on the ball and the man....but really some of the posting on here about him in no way corresponds to his output on the field.
Hope he can put together an effective season this year.

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I am away for a few hours and the site is in love with this bloke again!

Just a heads up - he came on at half time as an additional fresh player.

I'm not completely sure about all the AFL rules but one rule I do know is that we can't bring on a 23rd man at half time when the real stuff starts.

I think a few of you are getting your Taylor's mixed up - Curtis is da man to move us forward not Garner.

Curtis has done more in a pre season playing inside 50 than Garner has done in 5 years.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I'm not completely sure about all the AFL rules but one rule I do know is that we can't bring on a 23rd man at half time when the real stuff starts.

I think a few of you are getting your Taylor's mixed up - Curtis is da man to move us forward not Garner.

Curtis has done more in a pre season playing inside 50 than Garner has done in 5 years.

Possibly the most overrated player on BF when you look at what he has actually produced. He might be hard at it but he drifts out of the game and he absolutely butchers the ball by foot. You could make the case that Mason Wood has had more actual positive impact on results but gets pilloried on this board.

Garner has finished 8th in the Syd before.

Mason Wood hasn't and neither has the other Taylor (Curtis) at this point.

However if he keeps that pre season form up for a few years he's bound to have the odd good finish.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Garner has finished 8th in the Syd before.

Mason Wood hasn't and neither has the other Taylor (Curtis) at this point.

However if he keeps that pre season form up for a few years he's bound to have the odd good finish.
Tell ya what Ferbs. If Curtis keeps up the blind turns, speccys, and baulks, he won't be the only one with a few good finishes.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Regarding Garner, there was definitely plenty of X factor there in the early years, and it was clear why we went for him in the first round of the draft. However, since he finally managed to somehow stay on the field, his output has gone down severely for whatever reason. Looking from the outer, it seems his personal issues are to blame, and his motivation or the heart may not have been there. This is definitely the year for him to show one way or the other, if he wants it or not. I am not writing him off.

His first half against Richmond in a final many years ago was critical to us winning the game. He has many other very good games when fit too. Didn’t he kick a couple of winning goals against Adelaide in rd 1 a few years back? I recollect him getting 20+ possess against the dogs too one year. Maybe they were more than 5 years ago, dunno.

Sure, you want to make a point. But saying a 2nd year player who has turned it on for a practice match has shown more than a player who has been critical in us winning matches, including finals, is a complete exaggeration and reflects the very short term thinking of people on here sometimes.

Ether

Club Legend
Oct 21, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Exceptional overhead mark.

Exceptional power and agility.

Reasonable pace.

Average decision making.

Average to below average disposal.

That's Taylor.
Obviously Taylor's been on the list for years but he's only played 43 games, mostly as a marking forward, whereas now he seems to be playing more as a ground level player. I'm hoping that with a bit of continuity in this role he'll improve his decision making and disposal.

Tell ya what Ferbs. If Curtis keeps up the blind turns, speccys, and baulks, he won't be the only one with a few good finishes.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

He's a gun. I wouldn't be surprised to se him in the top ten in the next couple of years as well and who knows where his ceiling is.

But TG has had * all continuity for years, does have a good record as a finals player and right now we sponsor him. It's ludicrous to suggest his almost namesake has done more in a few practise matches.

Remember how much we loved what he did to McVeigh in that final?

Back