Past #6: Taylor Garner - delisted end '21 - 49 NM games/37 NM goals - go well Garns

Remove this Banner Ad

In his second year of playing Garns played in 3 finals where he averaged 11 possessions, kicked 2 goals, had as many assists and did some crucial things that aren't on a stats sheet.

Now his output since has been patchy - good when he's had a run it, poor when he hasn't and we all know this year is it for him. It's either put up or piss off, not just for him either.

But there are some silly things being said about him.

He certainly looks trimmer from the training photos I’ve seen. A couple of years ago I was told by someone that saw him up close that he didn’t look fit enough to be an afl player (early feb). So hopefully he is doing absolutely everything he can to give his body the best chance to succeed. 18 + games from him and we are a better side imo.

Turner looks like he might be in trouble this year.

Turner has a point of difference being an elite runner from the others.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

For me - I need/ want to see Garner given a run at it in the real thing. He’s fit - let him play.

It’s a do or die year, what has been the point of hanging on for all these years if we now don’t say , here’s a block of games - go prove yourself!

If he doesn’t get that chance , I for one will be forever wondering what if , should we now just not play him

BACK him in guys!! The time is now for this guys, he’s fit and not injured.

Let’s go Garner - pull a finger out and have a serious crack!

Colour me skeptical.

That said, I think it was last year, in his first game back in, I noticed his work around the middle of the ground caught me a bit unawares in some ways. His pace and aggression off the ball was awesome and he was, if I recall correctly, involve in some aggressive forward forays.

Much of what he's offered has been a bit 'flash in the pan', of course continuity playing a role here, and I'm not expecting significant or radical improvement. Like Mason Wood, one of those coodabeens.

An explosive bulldozing medium forward with potential for occasional midfield stint. He's problem as some have mentioned here that he can drift out of the game, so don't put him in the forward line for the whole game. People get bored so don't bore him with the same s**t for the whole game. 50-50 split between midfield and forward. The latter is something he is familiar with and the first is for him to professionally develop himself, give him some challenge. He's aggression, strength in contest and one grab skills are what makes him different. While he is not out and out superstar who dominates his position for the whole game, put him in positions where he can excel. Garner is a bad coach's nightmare but a good's coach's gem.

An explosive bulldozing medium forward with potential for occasional midfield stint. He's problem as some have mentioned here that he can drift out of the game, so don't put him in the forward line for the whole game. People get bored so don't bore him with the same s**t for the whole game. 50-50 split between midfield and forward. The latter is something he is familiar with and the first is for him to professionally develop himself, give him some challenge. He's aggression, strength in contest and one grab skills are what makes him different. While he is not out and out superstar who dominates his position for the whole game, put him in positions where he can excel. Garner is a bad coach's nightmare but a good's coach's gem.
Yeah... 'Sorry coach, I didn't really feel like giving my all today. I just reckon I'm a bit bored with the whole "being paid big bucks to play in our forward line" kinda thing. You know?'

Yeah... 'Sorry coach, I didn't really feel like giving my all today. I just reckon I'm a bit bored with the whole "being paid big bucks to play in our forward line" kinda thing. You know?'

You haven't been a teacher have you? Probably not base on that answer. Diversify the learner's tasks so they don't get bored. There are some who have the ability to stick to doing one thing very well for an entire session, most do not, they get bored, once they get bored their output reduces. Keep them busy, keep them challenged.

Are you kidding🤦

He's not a child, he's a professional athlete. Do we hand out most improved/ tried hard certificates too.

Without useful coaches, one could only do so much......................so to answer your question of 'do we hand out tried hard certificate', the answer is yes we do as the player did his part, the club hasn't exactly done him the services needed to get the best out of him. This might change under shaw's regime....maybe.

Without useful coaches, one could only do so much......................so to answer your question of 'do we hand out tried hard certificate', the answer is yes we do as the player did his part, the club hasn't exactly done him the services needed to get the best out of him. This might change under shaw's regime....maybe.
What you think Shawry is going to let him play whatever position he doesn't get "bored" in. If being out there and playing a roll is not mentally in his ability he shouldn't be there. You are selling the guy short.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watching the replay from the weekend and I loved his perfect kick in the 3rd to hall as he was being taken down in a tackle

Taylor definitely has the ability to get quickly manufacture something from a pressure situation.

Just watching the replay from the weekend and I loved his perfect kick in the 3rd to hall as he was being taken down in a tackle

But has s**t disposal!

Taylor definitely has the ability to get quickly manufacture something from a pressure situation.

He's a North Melbourne player of old. From the Stevens or Simpson cloth.

Get him to execute quickly before conscious thought comes into it and you'll get a positive result.

Give them time and space and you could make a giant scatter plot out of where the ball lands.

Get him to execute quickly before conscious thought comes into it and you'll get a positive result.

Give them time and space and you could make a giant scatter plot out of where the ball lands.

This represents probably half a dozen blokes on our list. McDonald is definitely one of those types.

We play better when we play "frenetic", and that suits Taylor to a tee.

This represents probably half a dozen blokes on our list. McDonald is definitely one of those types.

It's our best chance of winning with our forward line of hard leaders. Just get it in there.

It's our best chance of winning with our forward line of hard leaders. Just get it in there.

Jed did that against the Swans. Let to C Tays first goal. We never seemed to do that enough in the past. Quick kick to chaos at the top of the square.

It puts defenders under pressure before they can set up.

Do you remember that speccy he took against Freo? Must have been 2017. While everyone was still standing around slack jawed at the mark he hand balled to someone from the ground and they drove it deep into our 50. Dunno if we goaled or not but we certainly had a better chance cos of Garner's quick thinking.

Jed did that against the Swans. Let to C Tays first goal. We never seemed to do that enough in the past. Quick kick to chaos at the top of the square.

It's always confusing when our team tries to start playing possession football either forward or back.

We've never been able to do it even at our peaks.

Our club DNA is strong marking forwards, collisions and rapid, rabid ball movement. Any time we've returned to that even under Laidley or Scott we've done best.

Go long in the event of no reasonable opening, and create a contest. We have contested marking players and thugs. It's not rocket science, and it's also historically the North "brand" of football.

That's the game plan for our playing list in a nutshell, and ignorance of this is ultimately what led to the downfall of Brad Scott.

Taylor takes on the diffuclt, hard to execute kicks that payoff massively, he's obviously being coached to do it.

Like the one to Goldy that missed by an inch after Goldy ran forward hard, would have set up a shot on goal from a decent spot.

Given we have blokes who miss 20m passes under no pressure, hanging Taylor out fort this stuff is just, hmmmmmmm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back