Past #6: Taylor Garner - delisted end '21 - 49 NM games/37 NM goals - go well Garns

Remove this Banner Ad

Seriously... why? Mediocrity personified.

I would have thought that “mediocre” is one word that could never been applied to Garner.

When he’s fit and up and about, he is almost elite.

He is, also, elite at getting injured.

His hamstrings are not mediocre- they’re a veritable car wreck.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jesus Christ it's not as if we have to go far to cop a hail of s**t from outsiders, but the locals are on an even par with them.

It's a 1 year contract on what would be modest coin for a bloke that definitely gives his all when he can get on the park.

Can't folks just acknowledge that and move on, without necessitating sub-clauses of s**t at the same time?

Happy enough with one season.
He never recovered from being the cover boy on the magazine.
I think I watched one of his first games against Collingwood at the G. Showed a bit and I thought we had someone who would impact for the next 10 years.
Hoping for a really good go at it next year.

It'll be base coin and he has potential (given his age that is sad that it is still only that) but he has to stay on the park.

this is just rolling the dice on his hamstrings rather than taking a pick in the 80s in an already speculative draft.

Him playing more than 10 games is unlikely, a pick in the 80s playing more than 10 games in unlikely.

=/= whatever.

I would have thought that “mediocre” is one word that could never been applied to Garner.

When he’s fit and up and about, he is almost elite.

He is, also, elite at getting injured.

His hamstrings are not mediocre- they’re a veritable car wreck.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Oh my days. Elite?!? Really... wow. How standards at this football club have dropped

Has serious X-factor if he can stay on the park.

When he was playing late this year he actually looked pretty good. Definitely rusty, but I thought he showed a glimpse of what he can build on in 2021.

Just needs to stay fit and uninjured. Just don't get injured.

Happy to read this. Had him consigned for retirement because of his availability but his intensity in his senior games amongst a team of pigeons was compelling.

Plus while it feels like Rome is burning, there's something comforting about Kayne and Taylor hanging on. I kinda want to see as many of the old guard stick around as we can now especially potentially heading into the unknown.
If I was heading into the unknown I'd definitely feel better about it without those two ther to back me up.

Garner is a one touch player, a fierce competitor and has great hands. And he works up the ground and contests.

There were a whole bunch of things/players we didn't have this year that we had last year when we played well. One of them was forward structure and hardness, it's one thing with two words cos they were both part of our successful forward set up last season. Garner was one of the players who provided that. For most of this year we didn't have Thomas, Garner, Ziebell and Turner with Larkey and Brown working in tandem. C. Taylor also came in and became a part of that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like we are getting the band back together. A forward line of Larkey surrounded by thomas, zurhaar, taylor, mahoney and garner will be very good. It's alsmost as if ziebell no longer has a position in the team.

Jesus Christ it's not as if we have to go far to cop a hail of sh*t from outsiders, but the locals are on an even par with them.

It's a 1 year contract on what would be modest coin for a bloke that definitely gives his all when he can get on the park.

Can't folks just acknowledge that and move on, without necessitating sub-clauses of sh*t at the same time?
I don't think (or hope) people are having a go at Garns, who doesn't love the bloke.

But from a purely numbers POV, it doesn't make sense to resign a player who cant get on the park.

That said, he's probably a good bloke to keep on the list during this transitional period where there will be a fair bit of unrest. Him and Luke would, I imagine, be the main guys the younger crop feel comfortable mucking around with at training. They are not quite in the Ziebell, Tarrant, Higgins, Goldy group of married/kids etc.

The 1-year extension is on the basis he performs next year and it triggers another.

He is approaching the period when footballers go to another level. If he turns it on next year Brady looks like a genius, if he doesn't then we know for sure he won't make it. It is a win-win situation for the club. We want to see him at his best as he hasn't really been able to do that with his injuries hampering the majority of his career.

Proper pre-season, guidance from Brady and Shawry, and who knows?

He is the type of player that can also play that crumbing role when it comes to the ground. Rather than relying on our midfielders to always be at the fall of the ball.

We are crying out for someone like that since Lindsay.

Great result for all involved, one last go, not a whole amount of risk given how many players the system allows you to turn over in one year.

Why is he more likely to exceed the 5 games a year he averages in his career in 2021?

He's not.

He's just less speculative than the player we'd replace him with through the draft who would also be very unlikely to play many games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back