Past #6: Taylor Garner - delisted end '21 - 49 NM games/37 NM goals - go well Garns

Agreed. I'd have signed him because we have places to fill. No expectation should be placed on him.
any output is a bonus.

Whats more is it is not beyond the realms of possibility that he is in the same situation next year.

Would have been very disappointed if we hadn't re-signed him.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say he's likely to be a much better footballer and play more games than the pick 80 kid we would have got for delisting him.

barnrokn

Club Legend
Aug 1, 2017
Straightouttanthmelb
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Melbourne
He is raring to go rd. 1 l'll get in the ring with Tyson.
A1B9C703-2E68-4450-BD89-3002309C8B50.jpeg

Jul 6, 2006
Hong Kong
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He's only 26, can take a grab, kick a goal and put pressure on in the forward line. If he can get some continuity we will be better for it. Every club carries a few players who are speculative in some way or another, especially if they have shown that they can contribute at the highest level. After culling 11 and with a few more trades to come I suspect we have space for Garner to be that player. I would have liked to have seen Daw also kept on the list for the same reason. Happy to see Garner given another chance. You want players on the list who can genuinely cause headaches for the opposition.

hellas_johnny

Premiership Player
May 26, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
South Melbourne Hellas
1 year deal is good. break out season where he plays most games and does well, earns himself a new deal. on the other hand if he gets injured again then its gone. Only disappointed they didn't offer turner 1 year also instead of 2

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
I'm not a massive Garner fan, I think he's had an unlucky career married with some stupidity in his own time however I'm surprised he wasn't given an extra year weeks ago.

We had a bunch of guys in the last few rounds playing for their careers and only one stood out like they were playing to continue it.

I hope his luck is in during 2021 because there could be something unique for him to offer.

Fish Sticks

All Australian
Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Luckiest man alive... I thought he would have been one of the first delisted - purely based on his durability issues.
We must be confident he/we have finally gotten on top of his hammy issues!
He wouldn’t be the first player to have the first half of his career ruined by injury, to then go on to have a great second half of their career (Tarrant, Higgins come to mind)
Imagine he played every game next year?

Jul 19, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
GRM, Williams
You need to look up taking a sabbatical 🤔

Now back to Taylor - thought it was a waste of time playing him in the last two games but he really made them count.

He plays the way we want all our players playing

Exactly. So many players were given multiple chances to play for their futures in the second half of the season and were clearly not up to it, or their hearts weren’t in it. Garner grabbed the opportunity and nailed it. Just rewards.

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Exactly. So many players were given multiple chances to play for their futures in the second half of the season and were clearly not up to it, or their hearts weren’t in it. Garner grabbed the opportunity and nailed it. Just rewards.
Mason wood fits the catogorie other than was underwhelming. I have no real reason to believe he will be any more resilient than past seasons but you cant question his onfield endeavour. A lot of his fortune this year stems from the dact you are limited in how many you can turn over in a trade period.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Taylor might've just seen his football mortality flash before his eyes.

Unlike previous contract rollovers, this signing might be like him to going to a new club. Hopefully we get a refreshed player intent on doing everything to make it work.

Intent has never been an issue with him, he's just been considerably unlucky.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Intent has never been an issue with him, he's just been considerably unlucky.

Agree I was meaning everything in his preparation.

His intensity within training would be non-negotiable but maybe this can lift him to a Brent Harvey level of attention to detail re his rest, recovery, prehab work etc.

Back