All Australian
May 20, 2013
Los Angeles, California, USA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
New York Mets
My fellow Purple Tribesmen and Tribeswomen:

Hope all of you are well and are enjoying a festive and safe holiday season with your family members and friends. Me? I've been buried in writing. Many of you know that I've been working on my first book — a nonfiction one, about what I hope will be the first generation of American born-and-bred AFL players.

During Grand Final Week, I signed a publishing deal in Melbourne with Nero/Black Inc. Books and a few days ago I delivered to my editor there, a 64,330-word manuscript. It's tentatively titled, Jumping At the Chance: The Pioneering Players of the AFL's American Experiment.

If things go according to plan, the book would be released in July, at which time I'd be in Australia for the book launch and publicity tour. There's nothing I'd like more than to return to Freo, do an event at a book store there and catch another home match.

Watch this space! :)

My fellow Purple Tribesmen and Tribeswomen:

Hope all of you are well and are enjoying a festive and safe holiday season with your family members and friends. Me? I've been buried in writing. Many of you know that I've been working on my first book — a nonfiction one, about what I hope will be the first generation of American born-and-bred AFL players.

During Grand Final Week, I signed a publishing deal in Melbourne with Nero/Black Inc. Books and a few days ago I delivered to my editor there, a 64,330-word manuscript. It's tentatively titled, Jumping At the Chance: The Pioneering Players of the AFL's American Experiment.

If things go according to plan, the book would be released in July, at which time I'd be in Australia for the book launch and publicity tour. There's nothing I'd like more than to return to Freo, do an event at a book store there and catch another home match.

Watch this space! :)
Would love to order a signed copy when it's completed!

Nero/Black Inc are a very good publisher, Gil. They're a big-hitter in Australian publishing. You're onto a good thing. Congrats and all the best for the book.

Edit. Just checked and they published Anna Krien's Night Games: http://www.blackincbooks.com/books/night-games-0

Which I'd highly recommend to anyone.

Thanks, Sweetback! I hadn't looked closely enough when I was at the St Kilda Readings to have noticed about Night Games, which I almost picked up. I'm excited to work with Nero/Black Inc., too, as it was awarded the Best Small Publisher of the Year Award for 2014. They publish Bob Murphy's Murphy's Lore, which I have a copy of. I'll take your word for it on Night Games and order it! I'm also keen to read John Harms and Paul Daffey's The Footy Almanac 2015 and Emma Quayle's The Draft.

Thanks, Sweetback! I hadn't looked closely enough when I was at the St Kilda Readings to have noticed about Night Games, which I almost picked up. I'm excited to work with Nero/Black Inc., too, as it was awarded the Best Small Publisher of the Year Award for 2014. They publish Bob Murphy's Murphy's Lore, which I have a copy of. I'll take your word for it on Night Games and order it! I'm also keen to read John Harms and Paul Daffey's The Footy Almanac 2015 and Emma Quayle's The Draft.
'Small Publisher' is a bit of misnomer. They're more middle-tier and are publishing material competitive with the bigger publishers in Hachette and Penguin Random House. Black Inc is owned by a guy named Morry Schwartz, who also publishes left-leaning and impressive publications the Quarterly Essay, The Saturday Paper and The Monthly. So you're in the right place.
Night Games is a bit different to other football books in that it's a darker, unflinching account of power and sex in sports. I'm sure it'll complement your other reading well. Anyway, good luck. If you launch it in Melbourne then I'll tag along.

Off topic but heard Gils interview with Andy Maher on SEN this arvo - what a cracking 10 minutes, thanks GilG :thumbsu::thumbsu:

Do yourself a favour folks and hit up the podcast ( I think it's on 'the run home' segment ? ) if nothing but for Gils pitch perfect Aussie accent !!

Great to hear an overseas opinion and viewpoint of our great game, could have listened to you talk all afternoon Gil.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Off topic but heard Gils interview with Andy Maher on SEN this arvo - what a cracking 10 minutes, thanks GilG :thumbsu::thumbsu:

Do yourself a favour folks and hit up the podcast ( I think it's on 'the run home' segment ? ) if nothing but for Gils pitch perfect Aussie accent !!

Great to hear an overseas opinion and viewpoint of our great game, could have listened to you talk all afternoon Gil.

I heard it too and I agree all round. It was a great listen.

Wh

where do I find the podcast? On the SEN website?

Just listened to the SEN interview. One of the best interviews I've heard for a very long time. Hats off to you Gil.

Will be purchasing the book shortly.

Gill, really enjoyed your chat on Marngrook and especially putting (I forget his name) in his place when he was surprised that you dare barrack for Freo.

How quickly they get insulting and it was great that you displayed your far greater knowledge about our position. We will not win many/any more games this year with possibly the hardest road home and the least amount of available players but this means "diddly squat" * as to how we will perform next year.

Genuinely believe we can challenge for the top 8.

You might want to look up *

Great stuff Gil. Half way through the book and really enjoying it. I've seen and heard most of your interviews and you're a credit to yourself, your country and Freo!!:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back