VFL Past #65: Shaun McKernan 🐴 - Returns to the Dons

Remove this Banner Ad

andleanback

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Um, no I don't. We lost last night because of our midfield. Same with the Carlton game. So try again.

He had 8 touches, 2 of which hit their target. He was basically unsighted the week before as well. He was sh*t, no ifs or buts about it.

Townsend and Redman yep, Phillips also. Zaka was better, as were Cahill and Fantasia IMO. Hibberd maybe. Oh look, he's in the bottom 5.

You said I ranted about "him being the problem". That implies you think he isn't part of it.
3 marks inside 50, 3 shots at goal. If he kicks 2/3 we aren’t having this conversation. He needs to work on his goal kicking and we need to bring in Stewart to take some of the load off him.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
He played pretty well, could have kicked 3, 2 great goal assists, assisted in the ruck.

if he can improve contested marking and kick accuracy at goal then he’s fine.

would have played even better had our midfield been on song.

Feel that’s what a lot of people don’t understand, the forwards are evidence of how well or not the midfield group is playing.

We have been off the last couple of weeks and the fwd group as a whole has struggled bar the opportunistic goals we get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
eth-dog

In terms of goals per game, they are identical!

McKernans 3 best seasons at AFL level ‘18, ‘19, ‘20) has culminated in 40 goals in 31 games.

Stewart’s three best seasons at AFL level (‘15, ‘17, ‘18) culminated in 52 goals from 40 games.

That is a positive difference to James Stewart of .01.

That is it.

Now, argue all you want but trying to explain that Stewart is a much, much better player than McKernan is just factually Incorrect.

Sure, James’ ceiling may be higher, but Shaun performs a role. Without much expectation.

Omg even get started on other stats like Marks, disposals etc. a role of a KPF is to kick goals, they are virtually on par with each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cobra land

All Australian
Aug 28, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
I don't rate or care on how many goals he kicks per match...but what I do want to see is him crashing packs and play with a bit of intensity.
I don't think he should be dropped and can be a vital part of the team but he has to stop with the brain fades that mar his games.
Play him deeper so we have a target just as we would with Daniher playing, I want this bloke to make it so bad and I think he can that's what frustrates me.

Schnitzengruben

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 4, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Goal kicking shouldn’t determined how well a fwd is playing, with his work rate/ leading patterns etc
Sure, it's not *all* about goal kicking but let's not kid ourselves that it's not the single most important factor for a KPF. If we're sitting around quoting leading lanes and marks i50 with no conversion, it just says a lot about our club standards imo.

andleanback

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Sure, it's not *all* about goal kicking but let's not kid ourselves that it's not the single most important factor for a KPF. If we're sitting around quoting leading lanes and marks i50 with no conversion, it just says a lot about our club standards imo.
Yeah obviously we want him to convert as many of opportunities he gets. But 3 marks inside 50 on a night where our midfield got absolutely slaughtered, is not too bad(plus he’s spending a fair chuck of the game rucking). He needs to do better but he was far from our worst. Mckernan is far from the most talented KPF in the league, so go and look at what some of the other key forwards in the league are averaging for disposals/ marks etc and most of them don’t spend 1/3 of their game time in the ruck.

Last edited:

CBombers17

Premium Platinum
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Our whole forward line was as weak as you would see. He has no other tall support, a first gamer and 2 mediums who have played a few games together in support - then he goes into the ruck at times. All against a good team

We are missing - Daniher or Stewart, Stringer and Fantasia in form. Playing with these guys and a bit of back-up ruck is what we got him for. Not to be Jack Riewoldt.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Um, no I don't. We lost last night because of our midfield. Same with the Carlton game. So try again.

He had 8 touches, 2 of which hit their target. He was basically unsighted the week before as well. He was sh*t, no ifs or buts about it.

Townsend and Redman yep, Phillips also. Zaka was better, as were Cahill and Fantasia IMO. Hibberd maybe. Oh look, he's in the bottom 5.

You said I ranted about "him being the problem". That implies you think he isn't part of it.
Look. Everyone agrees that McKernan was bad this week and last week, but dropping him is basically confirming a loss before we even begin. Our whole forward structure will go down the drain.

Who is a realistic replacement for him? Stewart will never be able to take two defenders on. He doesn't have the strength or ability to take contested marks.

Hooker forward is even more unreliable than McKernan. It'd be counterproductive to drop McKernan and play Hooker in the exact same position as McKernan. You'd yield exactly the same results. Before you quote Hooker's goal tally, he played alongside Stewart and Daniher as a forward. McKernan is taking on a million defenders on his own as well as sharing the ruck.

If we're going to be smart about our selections, then we'd go with McKernan, Hooker, Stewart and Laverde (taking the Stringer role).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look. Everyone agrees that McKernan was bad this week and last week, but dropping him is basically confirming a loss before we even begin. Our whole forward structure will go down the drain.

Who is a realistic replacement for him? Stewart will never be able to take two defenders on. He doesn't have the strength or ability to take contested marks.

Hooker forward is even more unreliable than McKernan. It'd be counterproductive to drop McKernan and play Hooker in the exact same position as McKernan. You'd yield exactly the same results. Before you quote Hooker's goal tally, he played alongside Stewart and Daniher as a forward. McKernan is taking on a million defenders on his own as well as sharing the ruck.

If we're going to be smart about our selections, then we'd go with McKernan, Hooker, Stewart and Laverde (taking the Stringer role).
How is Hooker more unreliable than McKernan? He's a better mark, and that goal tally is perfectly relevant. He kicked as many goals that year in 20 games as McKernan has in all of 2017-20 in 34 games. And in my solution we'd have Hooker and Stewart playing together alongside Laverde.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
How is Hooker more unreliable than McKernan? He's a better mark, and that goal tally is perfectly relevant. He kicked as many goals that year in 20 games as McKernan has in all of 2017-20 in 34 games. And in my solution we'd have Hooker and Stewart playing together alongside Laverde.
Ok maybe not more unreliable, but Hooker is also inconsistent as a forward. I highly doubt he’d do any better than McKernan. Our entries inside 50 + forward structure back in 2017 was the best we had since Lloyd and Lucas. Far better than anything we produced since. Pointless to compare stats.

Bringing Stewart in will help McKernan.

Oct 31, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Essendon
While Hooker did have a great year in 2017 and I'd definitely advocate moving him forward, it wouldn't be at McKernan's expense. If you can't see that there's a difference between Hooker kicking 40 alongside Daniher and Stewart as well as functioning small forwards in a year where we were one of the highest scoring teams, and McKernan often playing a lone hand as a genuine tall forward and relieving ruck duties there's no use having this conversation. He wasn't great on the weekend and isn't exactly our KPF saviour but you can't ignore everything else at play.

While Hooker did have a great year in 2017 and I'd definitely advocate moving him forward, it wouldn't be at McKernan's expense. If you can't see that there's a difference between Hooker kicking 40 alongside Daniher and Stewart as well as functioning small forwards in a year where we were one of the highest scoring teams, and McKernan often playing a lone hand as a genuine tall forward and relieving ruck duties there's no use having this conversation. He wasn't great on the weekend and isn't exactly our KPF saviour but you can't ignore everything else at play.
McKernan gets 1000 excuses as to why he plays badly.
Did I?

I’ll stand by it
Maybe in the VAFA.

Oct 31, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Essendon
McKernan gets 1000 excuses as to why he plays badly.

Yes, it's an excuse that your direct comparison of two things is invalid. Nice and dismissive! I think it's interesting that your solution is to provide the underdone James Stewart with support from Hooker and Laverde, but god forbid McKernan is provided that same opportunity. Why the vendetta?

Yes, it's an excuse that your direct comparison of two things is invalid. Nice and dismissive! I think it's interesting that your solution is to provide the underdone James Stewart with support from Hooker and Laverde, but god forbid McKernan is provided that same opportunity. Why the vendetta?
McKernan has had plenty of opportunity. He hasn't taken it.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
McKernan has had plenty of opportunity. He hasn't taken it.

He played 16 games last season, incl a big injury interruption from Rds 3-10 which totally rooted his momentum.

He took 38 contested marks and had 28 shots at goal. They’re not superstar numbers but like it or not, it’s output that nobody else on our list is going to provide. Plus he provides the relief ruckwork.

Hooker could perhaps do the same but it’s not making us a better team really, because you’re just taking him out of the backline.

At least until / unless Daniher is back, he’s our best option - and that’s not going to change.

That's debatable. Do you consider it 'an opportunity' to be the sole KPF and also play in the ruck for chunks of the game? Do you think Stewart playing the exact same role right now would be doing any better?
In the past 3 years he's played 38 games, of which all bar maybe 4 games at most with one of Stewart or Brown, a couple of which were played with 2 rucks. Despite this, he's gone goalless in 13 of them, and kicked multiple goals in 12, which is far too high.

His best is nice. However his worst is very bad. Yet whenever he plays his worst everyone seems to make an excuse for him.
He played 16 games last season, incl a big injury interruption from Rds 3-10 which totally rooted his momentum.

He took 38 contested marks and had 28 shots at goal. They’re not superstar numbers but like it or not, it’s output that nobody else on our list is going to provide. Plus he provides the relief ruckwork.

Hooker could perhaps do the same but it’s not making us a better team really, because you’re just taking him out of the backline.

At least until / unless Daniher is back, he’s our best option - and that’s not going to change.
You're his chief apologist. He hasn't played reserves since round 7 2018 and he's producing 38 goals in 31 games? Sorry but an AFL standard key forward doesn't do that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back