VFL Past #65: Shaun McKernan 🐴 - Returns to the Dons

Remove this Banner Ad

CBombers17

Premium Platinum
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
He's playing hampered isn't he? I think rhe bottom line is that the club thinks brings us more in terms of flexibility and structure than others - even as a B-grader playing at 70%.

That says more about our list, our selection and depth than it does Smac surely.

andleanback

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
He's playing hampered isn't he? I think rhe bottom line is that the club thinks brings us more in terms of flexibility and structure than others - even as a B-grader playing at 70%.

That says more about our list, our selection and depth than it does Smac surely.
He looks really injured too me. If he’s not fit don’t play him. Doesn’t do anyone any good. Would rather play 2 rucks with Draper resting forward, or crauford.

Howard Moon

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Think some players can play injured but he can't, he's a legit confidence player, if you are battling injury out there and not able to do what you think you should be able to it would knock his confidence, and down the spiral goes

Gotta know your men, we obviously don't

BLA60

Club Legend
Apr 1, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Patriots, Dodgers, Canucks, MUFC
Lol at people using the line "he gave more free kicks then hitouts"

It was 1 free kick. While he also won a ruck free kick as well. So just calm the farm. Also he was vsing Ryder and Marshall... I doubt TBC would of faired much better?

Sometimes your chop out ruckman isn't there to win the taps. But to atleast provide a contest and bring the ball to ground in a neutral position.. If we cared so much about the hitout stat you seem to drool over. We would play 2 genuine rucks.

Change is needed. The current role he's been asked to play isn't working up forward.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

eth-dog

Tier 1 WW Player
Jan 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg Lions, All Boston sides
Lol at people using the line "he gave more free kicks then hitouts"

It was 1 free kick. While he also won a ruck free kick as well. So just calm the farm. Also he was vsing Ryder and Marshall... I doubt TBC would of faired much better?

Sometimes your chop out ruckman isn't there to win the taps. But to atleast provide a contest and bring the ball to ground in a neutral position.. If we cared so much about the hitout stat you seem to drool over. We would play 2 genuine rucks.

Change is needed. The current role he's been asked to play isn't working up forward.

He would have had more than 0 hit outs. He might not have kicked a goal either but you're saying that Bellchambers wouldn't have had one solitary hitout?

BLA60

Club Legend
Apr 1, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
He would have had more than 0 hit outs. He might not have kicked a goal either but you're saying that Bellchambers wouldn't have had one solitary hitout?
I'm sure he would of won a couple. He's a genuine ruck after all... I did say if we cared about hitouts, play 2 rucks quite clearly.

I doubt Bellchambers would of been the difference between a win and a loss.

I just think keying on the blokes ruck stats is a little narrow

eth-dog

Tier 1 WW Player
Jan 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I'm sure he would of won a couple. He's a genuine ruck after all... I did say if we cared about hitouts, play 2 rucks quite clearly.

Are you saying Bellchambers would of been the difference between a win and a loss?

Because if not? Then what difference does it make?

You said he wouldn't have done much better.

Much better is having more than 1 touch for 80% of the game (he recorded his second touch about halfway through the last) and actually winning a single hit out. Hell, if he kicked a goal it would have been more than McKernan has done in his last 6 games.

BLA60

Club Legend
Apr 1, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
You said he wouldn't have done much better.

Much better is having more than 1 touch for 80% of the game (he recorded his second touch about halfway through the last) and actually winning a single hit out. Hell, if he kicked a goal it would have been more than McKernan has done in his last 6 games.

Sorry let me rephrase so it's less open ended.

"His impact would of been so small (better or worse) it wouldn't of been noticeable, and would of had no impact on the final result."

Also were you at the game? Because I was. And I saw the Saints flood atleast 2 spare bodies minimum on most occasions to sit on the half back line anytime the ball was in between the 50's.. they backed their midfield to win it. And on the off chance they didn't. It got kicked to an outnumbered contest or a bad position.

Bit hard to rack up possessions when you're out coached by the other team.

Stats mean nothing in a game except to people who like to find something simple to measure against. A bloke can touch it 30 times and it means stuff all regarding the result of the game (T. Mitchell). It's about the team as a collective executing a game plan.

That plan may involve a guy being nothing more than a decoy for a top defender, or a tagger, or being a loose tall to make the player with the ball second guess when he looks up and sees them. His disposal count may not truely reflect what his role was on the day.

But when the team is so heavily outcoached and you have a coach who has 1 plan and 1 plan only. It's always going to be a tough day out.

His goal kicking is an issue. Yes. But we have bigger team issues.

Oh here's a photo showing the extra body in this instance on our halfback line, coincidentally on smack. But all you see on tv is Parish kicking the ball wide hopelessly.
IMG_20200816_174528.jpg

DERO

Formerly "dero"
Jan 22, 2013
TBC
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Mitcham FC

He is playing with a foot injury.

eth-dog

Tier 1 WW Player
Jan 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Sorry let me rephrase so it's less open ended.

"His impact would of been so small (better or worse) it wouldn't of been noticeable, and would of had no impact on the final result."

Also were you at the game? Because I was. And I saw the Saints flood atleast 2 spare bodies minimum on most occasions to sit on the half back line anytime the ball was in between the 50's.. they backed their midfield to win it. And on the off chance they didn't. It got kicked to an outnumbered contest or a bad position.

Bit hard to rack up possessions when you're out coached by the other team.

Stats mean nothing in a game except to people who like to find something simple to measure against. A bloke can touch it 30 times and it means stuff all regarding the result of the game (T. Mitchell). It's about the team as a collective executing a game plan.

That plan may involve a guy being nothing more than a decoy for a top defender, or a tagger, or being a loose tall to make the player with the ball second guess when he looks up and sees them. His disposal count may not truely reflect what his role was on the day.

But when the team is so heavily outcoached and you have a coach who has 1 plan and 1 plan only. It's always going to be a tough day out.

His goal kicking is an issue. Yes. But we have bigger team issues.

Oh here's a photo showing the extra body in this instance on our halfback line, coincidentally on smack. But all you see on tv is Parish kicking the ball wide hopelessly. View attachment 938752

So your excuse for him playing like s**t is because St. Kilda had a basic strategy to quell him?

Seriously dude. At 3 quarter time he had the same amount of possessions as a guy that went down 10 minutes into the first quarter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Howard Moon

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
So your excuse for him playing like sh*t is because St. Kilda had a basic strategy to quell him?

Seriously dude. At 3 quarter time he had the same amount of possessions as a guy that went down 10 minutes into the first quarter.

I thought he just eloquently gave an explaination why? It wasn't STKs basic strategy to quell him, it was a strategy to quel the team.. and our midfielders were not smart enough to react so they just kicked to the outnumber

Don't be so binary , there can be grey. It's ok not to like a bloke but dont just keep trotting out the posession count when other factors are at play

Our midfield had huge numbers, did they play well?

eth-dog

Tier 1 WW Player
Jan 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I thought he just eloquently gave an explaination why? It wasn't STKs basic strategy to quell him, it was a strategy to quel the team.. and our midfielders were not smart enough to react so they just kicked to the outnumber

Don't be so binary , there can be grey. It's ok not to like a bloke but dont just keep trotting out the posession count when other factors are at play

Our midfield had huge numbers, did they play well?
He made excuses for a guy that has been s**t the entire year.

Yeah there can be grey. But when a guy averages 7.8 disposals, 3.3 marks, 5 hitouts a game and fails to kick a goal over 6 games playing as a majority forward and chop out ruck then it's a fair indication of how they're playing

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it probably is a duck.

Bjchan13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
That should be his last game for the club. Nothing to gain from him ever playing again.

BLA60

Club Legend
Apr 1, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
He made excuses for a guy that has been sh*t the entire year.

Yeah there can be grey. But when a guy averages 7.8 disposals, 3.3 marks, 5 hitouts a game and fails to kick a goal over 6 games playing as a majority forward and chop out ruck then it's a fair indication of how they're playing

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it probably is a duck.
That's fine. But the issues aren't around this guy on his own. He's a system player. If the system struggles, he struggles and vice versa.. Expand your view. That's all I'm saying

ant555

The Oracle
May 4, 2004
lurking in the shadows of the matrix
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Penrith Panthers
Problem is in his best years he has been just over a goal a game player who had spurts of good games with some average stuff. Now he is right out of form and just looks terrible. No surprise we are going crap when and average player out of form has to lead the attack.

Colonelmot

Senior List
Jul 20, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Is Shaun injured or just forgotten about with the forward line seemingly clicking without him?

RearNaked

Premiership Player
Oct 4, 2011
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
TEAM MIR!!!!!!!!!
Does he have a contract would be good bloke to drop could give him a go down back but the amount of free kicks he’d give would make all us need new tvs

Remove this Banner Ad