Past #6: Jason Horne-Francis - NM have been informed by JHF's management that he will seek a trade to SA [contracted for 2023]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
So remind me how did this type of move play out for Nathan Buckley?

Missed out on…

number GIF by Sesame Street

Good luck muppet

Going by Brady’s demeanour today, I wonder if we think he’s a pain in the arse that we’d be better off moving on.
yeah, wouldnt be surprised if he, Viney and Brady have had a chat to Jyza and co and, if the rumours about JHF being disliked are true, that conversation has led to an acceptance that we should get maximum value for him now instead of waiting a year to see if we can change his mind because while Jack may be captain on paper, i think it's pretty clear that Jy is the voice of that dressing room

I always thought there'd be a big move by Clarkson and Viney to stamp their authority on the list.

I feared it would be Tarryn and Zurhaar.

But JHF makes perfect sense.

Imagine what the playing group would think of him ostentatiously skipping rehab - especially ice baths!! - while Cunners is busting a gut to get back onfield.

See you later Jason, back to the Little League where you can flounce around and do what you want because desperate Riverboat Ken has bet the kid's college funds on you.

The irrational ones would be - though that would be as equally egregious as asking for pick 8 and Butters.

Butters would be in the top 3 players talent wise at Port. I'm not sure they'd even trade Butters for JHF straight up let alone including pick 8.

For argument's sake - let's hypothetically say the offer from North was Butters and 8 for JHF. I can clearly see the incentive for North - gets an elite talent yet to enter the prime of his career who has already had multiple game winning moments, in addition to a reasonably high first round pick to accelerate a rebuild. Not to mention it gets them off JHF who for all intents and purposes became a distraction by the end of this past season more than anything.

Where is the incentive for Port in such a trade? Such a trade doesn't plug any hole at Port - it would simply be one forward/midfielder hybrid for another, combined with the loss of a top asset being a top 10 pick. It just doesn't make sense from their perspective.

Easy to say "ok well we will hold onto him and can revisit this in 12 months time if necessary." You've got a player who doesn't want to be there, and dare I say it is not as if any one would expect North's fortunes to turn around so suddenly that JHF would pivot and choose to stay at North in 12 months time. At that point he's out of contract. Given his ties to Port he'd most likely pick them over the Crows in 12 months, and then we're playing this same carousel of sorts.

If you take the emotion out of it on both sides it is clear at least from my perspective that there is a trade to be had that will satisfy both sides - one that will allow both clubs to come out looking like winners with their various supporter bases. If I were to guess, it'll be closer to pick 8, a future 1st and a steak knives type pick or pick swap than it would be to two 1st round picks and a top talent from Port.

Let's get the popcorn and see how it plays out. I spoke to someone who is very well connected to the Port side of things and they were adamant the deal was going to get done based on discussions Port and North have had over the last few days. Guess we will find out soon!

Sorry I didn't read that as I don't give a s**t.

How powerful would it be to have Clarko sitting in front of Butters putting our case forward for him to join. But not so unfortunately.

Clarkson can still call him and even visit him.

Imagine what the playing group would think of him ostentatiously skipping rehab - especially ice baths!! - while Cunners is busting a gut to get back onfield.

When the ice bath thing happened I thought about Cunners and how as a teenager he’d stop on his way home after games at night to do recovery in a river.

At 16.

It is no wonder he’s turned into the shinboner he is. He was living Victoria Amat Cumin before being drafted.

As for the other kid, he has ego based on very little output on an AFL field. God knows what he’ll be like with a huge contract and a multi pick deal to get him.

Harpergun

Senior List
Mar 7, 2012
Gold Coast
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Just wait for his first interview after he is traded. Play a drinking game, every time he says obviously you drink, you will be passed out before it gets to the 2 minute mark

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Sorry I didn't read that as I don't give a s**t.

I don’t understand why oppo supporters bother putting in the effort to write long stuff like that. I barely read the long stuff from our own supporters.

It’s always the the same. Start reading the first paragraph, think I don’t have time for that and move on.

Supa_Nova

Team Captain
Oct 6, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So I can say at the VERY least Ziebell was not happy with him. Words such as arrogant, pull his head in etc.

The 90s premiership players were not happy with him at all as well.

As far as "hating" or wanting him gone I do not know though.

From that I would say most of the mail in here is pretty accurate.

When the ice bath thing happened I thought about Cunners and how as a teenager he’d stop on his way home after games at night to do recovery in a river.

At 16.

It is no wonder he’s turned into the shinboner he is. He was living Victoria Amat Cumin before being drafted.

As for the other kid, he has ego based on very little output on an AFL field. God knows what he’ll be like with a huge contract and a multi pick deal to get him.

Cunners and his death stare at a senior player over an ice bath in his first year too.

EskimoPAFC

The Comebacks & Family Man
Dec 17, 2017
Success without Premierships
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Pick 8 this year becomes 9 post Ashcroft bid. We also know there is a clear top 5 in this draft, which we won’t get access to.

Port are on the record of saying they “must” play finals next year. That future first is best case Pick 12 (if they play finals). There are a couple GC academy kids that are expected to go top 5-10 next year, which makes 12 become Pick 14 (best case).

If we drop our pants and receive 9 and 14 (best case) for JHF, we may as well just shut up shop.
Worth noting that we also said this in 2022, 2019 and 2018... and it was very much the expectation to be top 4 in 2016 and 2015 as well. Port has a strong record for making this sort of claim in the last decade and yet when push comes to shove are about 50/50 on following through. We finished 11th this year, have lost Gray and Amon, and are likely not going to get much more out of Boak, Dixon or Lycett. We do have a huge potential amount of organic growth in our younger ranks with potential stars, but its all a gamble as to whether it all comes together next year. We're probably as likely to finish 14th as we are to win the flag in 2023.

I understand there is a desire to call our future first a lower pick to get a higher price for JHF, but I'm just mentioning this because if you do end up with it, if I'm North I'm certainly at least having a very good look at those top 10 draft picks next year.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
LOL. This blokes just as much of a gaslighter as Scott.

Noble is so far up his own arse it's not funny. Do they take calls? Can anyone ask him if it's true Zurhaar was going to leave if he stayed on?

As for the other campaigner...hurry up and kick his arse to the curb. Sick of seeing him in a North guernsey.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Noble is so far up his own arse it's not funny. Do they take calls? Can anyone ask him if it's true Zurhaar was going to leave if he stayed on?

As for the other campaigner...hurry up and kick his arse to the curb. Sick of seeing him in a North guernsey.

Certainly doesn’t seem to have been humbled by the experience. Good for him I spose.

BlueandWhiteinmyBlood

Club Legend
May 27, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
LOL. This blokes just as much of a gaslighter as Scott.

I do find it very cringe listening to Noble speak about North if the rumours floating around are anything to go by. What I can’t understand is how accepting SEN and trade radio are of him, saints getting him on to do a club review and the general industry is ect. If these rumours are true why is everyone so buddy, Buddy with Nobes?

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I do find it very cringe listening to Noble speak about North if the rumours floating around are anything to go by. What I can’t understand is how accepting SEN and trade radio are of him, saints getting him on to do a club review and the general industry is ect. If these rumours are true why is everyone so buddy, Buddy with Nobes?

Everyone is so Buddy Buddy because he’s relevant. He coached North this year and we’re the biggest story. It’s good media. He’s a football person.

I see this as much of him staying in the game. People will be keeping a very close eye on how he handles himself and so far he hasn’t really spoken too much out of school.

He’s at the Saints, was Norths coach, been at other clubs for a long time and he hasn’t publicly given anything up. He’ll end up at the AFL imo.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Everyone is so Buddy Buddy because he’s relevant. He coached North this year and we’re the biggest story. It’s good media. He’s a football person.

I see this as much of him staying in the game. People will be keeping a very close eye on how he handles himself and so far he hasn’t really spoken too much out of school.

He’s at the Saints, was Norths coach, been at other clubs for a long time and he hasn’t publicly given anything up. He’ll end up at the AFL imo.
Hang on.....I keep getting told we're irrelevant....

William Caresser

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2022
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Just to throw a few more options in there, how about

4. Adelaide's F1 and Rachele
5. P8 + f1 + whatever we need to get Clark done
If push came to shove, suspect the Crows would match the $800k per year.

Rachele is from Shep and went to school in Melbourne. Get Jye and Jack on the phone. Speak to his manager. Work all these angles.

Mar 23, 2001
Forever Death riding *
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wildcats/Pacers/Chelsea/Scorchers
SEN employs Cane Toad Cornes.. they aren’t exactly fussy types..

The irrational ones would be - though that would be as equally egregious as asking for pick 8 and Butters.

Butters would be in the top 3 players talent wise at Port. I'm not sure they'd even trade Butters for JHF straight up let alone including pick 8.

For argument's sake - let's hypothetically say the offer from North was Butters and 8 for JHF. I can clearly see the incentive for North - gets an elite talent yet to enter the prime of his career who has already had multiple game winning moments, in addition to a reasonably high first round pick to accelerate a rebuild. Not to mention it gets them off JHF who for all intents and purposes became a distraction by the end of this past season more than anything.

Where is the incentive for Port in such a trade? Such a trade doesn't plug any hole at Port - it would simply be one forward/midfielder hybrid for another, combined with the loss of a top asset being a top 10 pick. It just doesn't make sense from their perspective.

Easy to say "ok well we will hold onto him and can revisit this in 12 months time if necessary." You've got a player who doesn't want to be there, and dare I say it is not as if any one would expect North's fortunes to turn around so suddenly that JHF would pivot and choose to stay at North in 12 months time. At that point he's out of contract. Given his ties to Port he'd most likely pick them over the Crows in 12 months, and then we're playing this same carousel of sorts.

If you take the emotion out of it on both sides it is clear at least from my perspective that there is a trade to be had that will satisfy both sides - one that will allow both clubs to come out looking like winners with their various supporter bases. If I were to guess, it'll be closer to pick 8, a future 1st and a steak knives type pick or pick swap than it would be to two 1st round picks and a top talent from Port.

Let's get the popcorn and see how it plays out. I spoke to someone who is very well connected to the Port side of things and they were adamant the deal was going to get done based on discussions Port and North have had over the last few days. Guess we will find out soon!

4c9.jpg

What did Adelaide offer last year for Pick 1 ?

3 first rounders ? And we knocked them back ?

Pick 10 and and pick 16 would be way unders. We need minimum 3 first rounders, or picks within the top 5 to satisfy the trade, one would think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back