Past #6: Jason Horne-Francis - NM have been informed by JHF's management that he will seek a trade to SA [contracted for 2023]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
> Daniel and Todd enter the chat.

Neither were ever top 10 players in the competition.

Wells possibly top 30 at some point and Goldstein maybe top 20. As good as Goldstein has been for us, the fact that he has been our best player in 20 years is an indictment on our recruiting and development.

Wells was also pick 2, which suggests to me what you need to do to bring in elite players.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Unyielding Bosom

Senior List
Jun 27, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Neither were ever top 10 players in the competition.

Wells possibly top 30 at some point and Goldstein maybe top 20. As good as Goldstein has been for us, the fact that he has been our best player in 20 years is an indictment on our recruiting and development.

Wells was also pick 2, which suggests to me what you need to do to bring in elite players.

Boomer definitely was at one point (2008ish)

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You could make an argument for him being the best player in the comp in 2007, 2008.

Lol that is absurd.

Here are some names from that era:

Judd
Hall
Brown
Goodes
Pavlich
Riewoldt
Cox
Franklin
Kerr
Cousins
Ablett jnr
Scarlett
Hodge
Fevola
Black

I loved boomer, but he wasn’t in the same class as above.

AnEmptyChair

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Lol that is absurd.

Judd
Hall
Brown
Goodes
Pavlich
Brown
Riewoldt
Cox
Franklin
Kerr
Cousins
Ablett jnr
Scarlett
Hodge
Fevola

I loved boomer, but he wasn’t a generational player.

Harvey was definitely top 10, maybe top 5, in 2007/08, regardless of those names. All-Australian in both years and finished 2nd in the Brownlow in 2007 and equal 6th in 2008.

I also disagree with your earlier post about Goldy being our best player in 20 years. Boomer and Cunners were/are both better. David King ranked the best North players of the modern era (since about 1990) during the footy shutdown in 2020 and he had Cunners at 8 and Harvey at 2, and Goldy not in the top 10. The other week at the Syd Barker he also said Cunners is someone who should be in consideration if they were to extend the interchange in the North Team of the Century.

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Harvey was definitely top 10, maybe top 5, in 2007/08, regardless of those names. All-Australian in both years and finished 2nd in the Brownlow in 2007 and equal 6th in 2008.

I also disagree with your earlier post about Goldy being our best player in 20 years. Boomer and Cunners were/are both better. David King ranked the best North players of the modern era (since about 1990) during the footy shutdown in 2020 and he had Cunners at 8 and Harvey at 2, and Goldy not in the top 10. The other week at the Syd Barker he also said Cunners is someone who should be in consideration if they were to extend the interchange in the North Team of the Century.

Basically all those players would have been AA during those years and I personally don’t hold the Brownlow as a good gauge of where a player is at in the game. Angus Brayshaw came second in a Brownlow a few years ago…… Would you have him ranked him at number 2 in the league?

I take your point that Cunnington deserves more credit as our best player, but whether it is Cunnington, Goldy, Boomer or Wells, I don’t think any have ever been a top 10 player in the league.

brooksnk

Senior List
May 29, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Boomer legitimate contender for best player in the comp across 2007/2008.

Avergaed 24 touches and 1.5 goals a game in 2007. But if you remember how he changed games off his own foot, the numbers dont even reflect how good he was.

Keep in mind that Boomer was also the best kick in the comp, arguably ever. This is a nice infographic that really shows how he was not only the best, but how far above second he was...

Ffs, the guy racked up 36.24 and averaged 22 touches in his last season. Will still never forgive Brad Scott for showing him the door. The darkest moment in my living history of this club. Even if that first 'rebuild' was successful - there was no sane reason to show him the door. It makes me angry to this day.

1e283e509c98d760f564dfd3812c589d.jpeg

AnEmptyChair

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Basically all those players would have been AA during those years and I personally don’t hold the Brownlow as a good gauge of where a player is at in the game. Angus Brayshaw came second in a Brownlow a few years ago…… Would you have him ranked him at number 2 in the league?

I take your point that Cunnington deserves more credit as our best player, but whether it is Cunnington, Goldy, Boomer or Wells, I don’t think any have ever been a top 10 player in the league.

Mate, I think you're forgetting just how good Boomer was in 2007 in particular, but throughout that period. Three All-Australians between 2005 and 2008 and, as I already said, a 2nd and a 6th in the Brownlow. It wasn't a one-off, so I don't think your Brayshaw comparison has merit. He did it consisnetly. He also got the hardest, dedicated tag every week and still dominated, pretty much single-handedly dragging us to a top 4 spot in 2007 when we were on of the pre-season favourites for the wooden spoon IIRC.

Edit: Just checked. He averages 24 touches a game and kicked 36 goals for the year in 2007 playing in the midfield. That's absurdly good by any metric. He was 10th in the league for most disposals, but kicked more goals than any player ranked in the top 20 for disposals (I think). Also 3rd in the league for most goal assists.

Last edited:

brooksnk

Senior List
May 29, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Lol that is absurd.

Judd
Hall
Brown
Goodes
Pavlich
Riewoldt
Cox
Franklin
Kerr
Cousins
Ablett jnr
Scarlett
Hodge
Fevola
Black

The only play I would say is a conclusively better player than Boomer from that list is Ablett jnr. Everyone else you can find other players that play the exact same role. The impact and uniqueness of Harvey's style of play and effectiveness per possession is not matched nor could be replicated by any other player on that list.

Lol that is absurd.

Whatever.

He was runner up in the brownlow and won a couple of Lou Richards Medals in 2007/2008.

Was fairly widely regarded as being in the top handful of players in the comp over those couple of seasons.

Lol that is absurd.

Judd
Hall
Brown
Goodes
Pavlich
Riewoldt
Cox
Franklin
Kerr
Cousins
Ablett jnr
Scarlett
Hodge
Fevola
Black

Hall and Brown weren't even playing back then.

And even tho Hall was good last season he wasn't a patch on Boomer in his prime.

marklovesbeer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 8, 2010
South Adelaide
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
South Adelaide Panthers
100% agree with this.

Those who questioned us not taking the Richmond/Adelaide deals (Lloyd, Kane and Sos to name a few), failed to see what he will bring off field. The number 1 pick in itself brings more exposure for our club, excitement for fans, increase in members, selling merchandise. If he can then become an elite player it increases those areas even more, plus it puts bums on seats and better time slots.

North haven’t had a top 10 player in the league since Carey. That’s a pretty sad state of affairs and the reason for this is largely due to not investing in the draft for 20 odd years. Finally whether it is JHF or another one of our elite young talents, we are in position where our list could potentially win a flag.

Agree with all of this, however, I would say Boomer in 2007/2008 was probably in the top handful of players in the league.

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Mate, I think you're forgetting just how good Boomer was in 2007 in particular, but throughout that period. Three All-Australians between 2005 and 2008 and, as I already said, a 2nd and a 6th in the Brownlow. It wasn't a one-off, so I don't think your Brayshaw comparison has merit. He did it consisnetly. He also got the hardest, dedicated tag every week and still dominated, pretty much single-handedly dragging us to a top 4 spot in 2007 when we were on of the pre-season favourites for the wooden spoon IIRC.

Edit: Just checked. He averages 24 touches a game and kicked 36 goals for the year in 2007 playing in the midfield. That's absurdly good by any metric. He was 10th in the league for most disposals, but kicked more goals than any player ranked in the top 20 for disposals (I think). Also 3rd in the league for most goal assists.

Boomer at his peak would have been truly devastating in a quality side.

We were a decent side that I think overachieved, given our 12-22 types in the side.

We are talking about how no player has averaged 25 and 2 goals per game since Matthews in the Thomas thread, Boomer would have been a chance in that Geelong side in the late 00's as an example.

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Brad Hardie won it... So did Shane woewoeden.

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I have probably undersold Boomer during that period and he should probably be in the conversation. I’m still not convinced he was a top 10 player in the comp. He possibly had a top 10 season on form, but that doesn’t necessarily make him a top 10 player in the comp. Most of the players mentioned on my list performed at a top 10 level over an extended period of time.

Orange Peanut

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I have probably undersold Boomer during that period and he should probably be in the conversation. I’m still not convinced he was a top 10 player in the comp. He possibly had a top 10 season on form, but that doesn’t necessarily make him a top 10 player in the comp. Most of the players mentioned on my list performed at a top 10 level over an extended period of time.

Mate the year Bartel won the Brownlow, the equal favorites were Boomer and GAJ. He was in that company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back