• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 31, 2011
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Beat Carlton by 22
Gutsy win over Collingwood by 3
Convincingly beat Port by 29

We've seen patches of great and poor footy this year, but haven't strung some good wins together. Hoping this bye might help us turn the corner and the group will click a little more together. We do typically perform better in the second half of the year.

My prediction is that Bevo will work some coaching magic and find a groove this month!

:shoutyoldman:

Should beat Carlton unless we go with the midget backline again (sadly a distinct possibility), but we'd have to catch Collingwood on a bad day. I can't see us beating Port unless they absolutely stink it up, so I'm expecting 5-9 - same as last year :(

Should beat Carlton unless we go with the midget backline again (sadly a distinct possibility), but we'd have to catch Collingwood on a bad day. I can't see us beating Port unless they absolutely stink it up, so I'm expecting 5-9 - same as last year :(
I'd like to think we have two tall backs (Trengove and Cordy) while La Young is very capable in the air for a 191cm kid.

McKay is arguably the best contested mark in the comp right now not named McGovern so it will be hard to stop him if we let their mids run the ball with little pressure.

I reckon the next 5 games will look like:

Beat Carlton by 18
Beat Collingwood by 6
Lose to Port by 29
Lose to Geelong by 13 (Or we could win, it happened last year on our turf)
Beat Melbourne by 40

That would put us 7-9 and if we play well for the remainder of the season we are still chances for finals.
My big guess is that the Round 23 game against Adelaide in Ballarat will be the decider whether we make finals or not.

No one knows the future, where will teams be injury wise when we play them ? Where will we
be in terms of mindset, gifting games to the kids, over relying on the same old same old types
to drag us across the line. Kicking straight like against Geelong last year 16 goals 7 behinds i
believe from memory or butchering the momentum like last week. Who knows, at the moment
we match up well against certain sides, but other methods we can't overcome no matter how
bad the sides are. A man with a plan at least has a plan, but it helps to have more than one.

I'd like to think we have two tall backs (Trengove and Cordy) while La Young is very capable in the air for a 191cm kid.

McKay is arguably the best contested mark in the comp right now not named McGovern so it will be hard to stop him if we let their mids run the ball with little pressure.
That's the problem, Cordy and Lachie Young are medium defenders IMO while Trengove is tall enough but slow. If we're going to treat this as a development year, Lewis Young should be getting games especially since Hayes and Richards stunk it up for weeks before being dropped!

Sorry, but I have no confidence at the moment to tip us to beat any other side in the comp.

(But it takes only one good showing for me to change my position).:)

Carlton seriously emasculated us last time. I seriously don't see how we are gonna beat them. They will be full of confidence against us because they now know how s**t we really are. Also the whole coach sacking thing seemed to work for North.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just hope we are judged on the patt of the season that mattered
And we were found wanting.
Just like last year.
The dead rubbers to come will be about contracts nothing else, for the more experienced players.
Only should be used to see if the younger players are up to it..
Can't make finals so it's all about next year.

Think we just need to focus on next week carlton we be a tough out next week with a bit of belief from today

That's the problem, Cordy and Lachie Young are medium defenders IMO while Trengove is tall enough but slow. If we're going to treat this as a development year, Lewis Young should be getting games especially since Hayes and Richards stunk it up for weeks before being dropped!
I wouldn't mind seeing Lewis Young come in to play against Carlton as a CHB/Second Ruck with Cordy as a third tall (not sure what we do with Lachie Young).

This could allow Young to take over the Ruck from English, with English moving forward as a second marking target to Gardner, while Naughton swings back to shore-up the defence with Trengrove. Alternatively, we could have Trengrove take over the ruck from English - English to forward line - Naughton to backline with Young. I know I ramble-on a bit about defence, but I cannot bare the thought of losing to those C***S twice in one year! With Lewis Young in the mix, we could mind-f**k them completely.

Last edited:
7-8! With Daniel, Libba, Wallis and Morris to come back in...

How a few solid weeks can shift perspective on where our team is at.

I wonder if the teams looking to peak for finals have had a heavy training load over the last few weeks. We look to be running out games much better than others.

We have definitely developed a style that is strong in low scoring, tough and high pressure games...

We’re thereabouts again! exciting three months ahead ;)

It's 2005 again. Remember we went on a rampage late and a BS jeff white free vs Melbourne denied us in the last minute the last win we needed. A bit like that.

Dees - Win
Saints - Win
Freo (Marvel) - win
Gws (Syd) - loss
Dons - loss
Adelaide (ballarat) - loss

10 wins I think. if we have learnt from past lessons agaist weaker teams.
11 won't be enough, paticularly with our percentage.
I think Ports draw allows them to take eighth, essendon 9th, Dogs 10th or 11th depending on Freos percentage (again lol)

The Essendon and Adelaide games are both very winnable BallaratBulldog. Percentage will almost certainly keep us out of the finals, but at least it looks like the 2017 Dogs are back and hopefully next year we'll see something like the 2016 Dogs!

Optimistically speaking we could make it given how indifferent the teams just ahead of us look, of course that relies on us finding some consistency which isn't exactly a strong suit. Kind of prefer our bipolar form to consistently beating bottom 8 teams and losing to top 8, at least it shows our best is good enough.

The Essendon and Adelaide games are both very winnable BallaratBulldog. Percentage will almost certainly keep us out of the finals, but at least it looks like the 2017 Dogs are back and hopefully next year we'll see something like the 2016 Dogs!
Yep, we always match up well against essendon. We'll win that if we're switched on. And Crows in Ballarat is a 50/50. Win both of those, along with Dees and Saints in the next fortnight and we could sneak into the 8.

Back