Player Watch #7: Ben Lennon

Remove this Banner Ad

Lennon wopuld have got more than four touches and been on the ground longer than 20 minutes.

OK, you win.

I'm 100% behind Lennon to have a break out year in 2017. Has the tools to be a gun. Only has to have a solid pre season and his improvement from 2016 will be dramatic. Cycling glandular ffs, must have been miles behind par.

I see Lennon as another list clogger with talent that doesn't work hard enough. I'd be very surprised if he plays more than 5 or 6 games. Rather than showing grit and putting it on the line, he comes across as a whinging Prat that wants an easy ride and plays the "I'm hard done by" card.

Love him to prove me wrong but I believe he'll be off our list by years end 2017. I know he's had injuries but I no longer am prepared to cut the guy slack. Put up or piss off! should be the ultimatum given to him. Make it quite clear to him that it's now or never.

I may have my head in the sand. But, I would like us to spend time on a skilled 21 year old who has been through illnesses and injuries to make it because of high end talent, he may have lacked passion, but that can change.

Considering the amount of list cloggers the club keeps. I'd give Lennon this year as a fresh slate.

I may have my head in the sand. But, I would like us to spend time on a skilled 21 year old who has been through illnesses and injuries to make it because of high end talent, he may have lacked passion, but that can change.

Considering the amount of list cloggers the club keeps. I'd give Lennon this year as a fresh slate.

Too much sanity in this post. In the wrong place, clearly.

this is no place for reasoning mate :)

Im sure most on this board would agree with your thoughts Nantes, But the biggest issue with Lennon is not his ability or the fact that he has been on the list for 3 years and yet to show any sort of ability to work hard or to try and adapt to the team.

He does himself no favours when he asks for a bigger contract just when his club is trying to bring in another player and hands the upper hand to the opposition team during the trade period after being at the club for 2 years and spending most of that time in rehab with the club supporting him, Then he follows up the following year after "again being injured and also having an illness and not being able to show what he can offer he comes out and publicly asks for a trade and puts out a stupid interview clearly designed to garner interest without any suitors

Along with some of his half arsed efforts in the vfl where he simply does not do what he has been asked to do on the field,Which coaches willl accept this type of attitude and why wouldnt other clubs show any interest in a 1st round pick that hasnt really had a chance ?

Ahern,Freeman,Pickett were all in similar positions yet they all had suitors but there was zero interest in Lennon

Do you not believe that he has contributed to his own predicament ?

Every year is a fresh slate for those that have not delivered. He has a year to do something. Let's see if he has the balls. I doubt it.

Give this guy a break. He probably wanted to go because he feared that he won't get many games at Richmond given that he isn't played regularly. He is thinking about his career.

However, It is up to him to smash it this year. As we saw this trade/draft period, there is no guarantee he'll get to another club if he walks. Some pretty decent players walked thinking that they'll get to a club but didn't end up being picked, so that should set off alarm bells for him.

Im sure most on this board would agree with your thoughts Nantes, But the biggest issue with Lennon is not his ability or the fact that he has been on the list for 3 years and yet to show any sort of ability to work hard or to try and adapt to the team.

He does himself no favours when he asks for a bigger contract just when his club is trying to bring in another player and hands the upper hand to the opposition team during the trade period after being at the club for 2 years and spending most of that time in rehab with the club supporting him, Then he follows up the following year after "again being injured and also having an illness and not being able to show what he can offer he comes out and publicly asks for a trade and puts out a stupid interview clearly designed to garner interest without any suitors

Along with some of his half arsed efforts in the vfl where he simply does not do what he has been asked to do on the field,Which coaches willl accept this type of attitude and why wouldnt other clubs show any interest in a 1st round pick that hasnt really had a chance ?

Ahern,Freeman,Pickett were all in similar positions yet they all had suitors but there was zero interest in Lennon

Do you not believe that he has contributed to his own predicament ?
Excellent point, Gun. I wonder how many who post here have ventured to a VFL game and seen the lack of effort Lennon churns out.
An allegedly highly talented, highly skilful with spades of potential would be tearing the house down and thrusting his name in front of selectors.
It's the application that lacks. You can have all the potential in the world (a-la Geoff Heyward on The Club), but if you don't apply yourself and are always feeling hard done by, there's no hope.
DrMike was right in pointing out his best game was against Essendon in the wet when he clunked marks. Correct, it was a great game. But name his second best game? Or the other moment he impacted a contest? It's a battle!

Excellent point, Gun. I wonder how many who post here have ventured to a VFL game and seen the lack of effort Lennon churns out.
An allegedly highly talented, highly skilful with spades of potential would be tearing the house down and thrusting his name in front of selectors.
It's the application that lacks. You can have all the potential in the world (a-la Geoff Heyward on The Club), but if you don't apply yourself and are always feeling hard done by, there's no hope.
DrMike was right in pointing out his best game was against Essendon in the wet when he clunked marks. Correct, it was a great game. But name his second best game? Or the other moment he impacted a contest? It's a battle!
There is no doubt he needs to work much harder. People forget quickly that he played many of his 19 games as a sub. Pretty hard to dominate and get great numbers from there, so it's pointless just looking at stats.

It's also a little pointless looking at VFL games. Players like Vickery hardly did anything there and were promoted back. That was a poor signal to give youngsters like Lennon. It's part of the continued poor culture that Hardwick has created. Hope that changes next year.

2017 is his year. He either takes it by the scruff of the neck or he is goneski. Simple.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is no doubt he needs to work much harder. People forget quickly that he played many of his 19 games as a sub. Pretty hard to dominate and get great numbers from there, so it's pointless just looking at stats.

It's also a little pointless looking at VFL games. Players like Vickery hardly did anything there and were promoted back. That was a poor signal to give youngsters like Lennon. It's part of the continued poor culture that Hardwick has created. Hope that changes next year.

2017 is his year. He either takes it by the scruff of the neck or he is goneski. Simple.

Not much will change until Hardwick walks out the door, guaranteed!

Is Geoff Heyward real? Now he was a player ...

You saying Dimma is in the wrong?

I was speaking in general terms.
Whether Dimma loves, hates, or otherwise Lennon is irrelevant - coaches will always have their favourites.
I have heard Dimma has little time for and communication with some players, again this is likely truthful and not out of the ordinary.
Wallace before him was accused of the same thing, while coaches at rival clubs have been accused of the same.
It shows a weakness in the coach, who is supposed to be THE leader and be able to build relationships.
Lennon will largely live and die by his own performances, which - let's be honest - haven't been up to scratch, but I compare Lennon's situation to Vickery's, which at times were not up to scratch, yet one was gifted games. I can see how it grates.
Sometimes though you need to be the bigger person and just get on with it. I don;t agree with some of my superiors at work, but I knuckle down and do what I have to do and get by without them having to influence me too much. If Lennon plays the "poor me' card his career will end without a whimper.
I digress, as far as Dimma goes, this club will take a turn for the better when he goes, no doubt! His 2016 effort was among the worst coaching efforts I've seen at AFL level ... below what Leppa dished up at Brisbane and below the debacle that was Mark Neeld at Melbourne and Tim Watson at St Kilda. The way he let the season peter out and made a mockery of his press conferences and clubs should have been grounds for instant dismissal.

Most on here know my frustrations regarding Lennon and think i have an agenda about this kid - I really dont and wish he turned into a gunston type foward or a Stevie J' type mid/fwd

But when i see his application on the ground at afl level and see how he 'cheats' from working when the ball isnt in his area - That really Irks me and annoys other players on the ground also, I have seen Jack give him a stare and shake his head for Lennon not working up and just hanging back - He needs to get this out of his game

I mentioned many times that i have seen a fair bit of reserves games that Lennon has played in and can tell you that there has not been 1 game that i have left feeling - Gee Ben played well today,Everytime i leave feeling annoyed that he just doesnt work - PISSES ME OFF BIGTIME

He probably busts his ass off every day only to be told he's lazy.

That would piss me off too.
Why would a coach pick on him and tell him he is lazy if he does the running, positioning and pressure acts expected of him?

But name his second best game? Or the other moment he impacted a contest? It's a battle!

I can distinctly remember a game where Lids passed the ball to him on the 50 and Lennon fumbled it and Lids then followed up and cleaned up his mess and kicked a ripper goal. That's like a goal assist, right?

Why would a coach pick on him and tell him he is lazy if he does the running, positioning and pressure acts expected of him?

I think he is referring to the supporters. How a group of fans talks about a kid will have more of an effect than people realise. People mistakenly assume they should be immune to effects of any criticism because they are professional athletes but they aren't/

My Christmas wish: Lennon to have a few ripper games at the start of 2017 and then see all the keyboard warriors criticising him scatter for cover......
I'll happily mea culpa, then mea maxima culpa if he pulls the finger out. I hope he does, he has a unique skill set on our list. Hopefully, the combination of a complete lack of interest by other clubs + working with new assistants will get his head right. Coz, that is where most of the problems are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back