Player Watch #7: Ben Lennon

Remove this Banner Ad

To sit here and judge his character without being involved with the kid personally is just keyboard warrior stuff IMO...
I'm pretty sure you've made the point on your beliefs, yet you still feel the need to argue with anyone who has a differing view.

What the Richmond BF board and the world needs, another bloke accusing me of 'arguing' because my view differs from their's, but wants to argue that my view is wrong.
It's called a discussion and debate.
Never ceases to amaze people who criticise others for having an opposing view but argues that view has to be wrong!
You see the hypocrisy here???
Everyone's entitled to an opinion, choose to agree, disagree or otherwise .... but when you play moral police of saying someone else's view is wrong and they shouldn't argue their point of view you lose cred!

What the Richmond BF board and the world needs, another bloke accusing me of 'arguing' because my view differs from their's, but wants to argue that my view is wrong.
Never ceases to amaze people who criticise others for having an opposing view but argues that view has to be wrong!
Everyone's entitled to an opinion, choose to agree, disagree or otherwise .... but when you play moral police of saying someone else's view is wrong and they shouldn't argue their point of view you lose cred!
Did you not read...

I stated I wasn't arguing with you view , I don't care whether it is right or wrong...

What I do think is that your extremely harsh and constant criticism of a kid who plays for the club you support is way over the top.
My point is, EVEN IF YOUR RIGHT, you need to tone it down a bit mate, basically the strength of criticism is nearly online bullying... yet your meant to be a supporter of the club!

If you learn to read instead of arguing something that doesn't exist you may get the discussion and debate your after!

Did you not read...

I stated I wasn't arguing with you view , I don't care whether it is right or wrong...

What I do think is that your extremely harsh and constant criticism of a kid who plays for the club you support is way over the top.
My point is, EVEN IF YOUR RIGHT, you need to tone it down a bit mate, basically the strength of criticism is nearly online bullying... yet your meant to be a supporter of the club!

If you learn to read instead of arguing something that doesn't exist you may get the discussion and debate your after!

I support the kid, my point is he does himself no favour putting in sub-par performances and asking for a pay rise after a mediocre season and twice requesting a trade.
It's not bullying, nor wrong to question his commitment and loyalty.
I doubt B. Lennon reads these threads, and I doubt 'pissing in his pocket' and 'blowing wind up his a***' does, or the hero worship if you like, does him any favours either and only offers a false sense of security that is not serving him well in the slightest.
But I'll bow to your demands and be a fanboi and not a critic.
Lennon has all the tools to become that damaging mid-size forward who will cement his place in the team by round three and will kick 40 goals.
Gotta feel for the kid, plucked at number 12 in the draft and handed a $150,000 first year salary. Wasn't his fault.

I support the kid, my point is he does himself no favour putting in sub-par performances and asking for a pay rise after a mediocre season and twice requesting a trade.
It's not bullying, nor wrong to question his commitment and loyalty.
I doubt B. Lennon reads these threads, and I doubt 'pissing in his pocket' and 'blowing wind up his a***' does, or the hero worship if you like, does him any favours either and only offers a false sense of security that is not serving him well in the slightest.
But I'll bow to your demands and be a fanboi and not a critic.
Lennon has all the tools to become that damaging mid-size forward who will cement his place in the team by round three and will kick 40 goals.
Gotta feel for the kid, plucked at number 12 in the draft and handed a $150,000 first year salary. Wasn't his fault.
I have actually supported your view until this post. I cannot see that Lennon has all the tools to become that damaging mid-size forward who will cement his place in the team by round three and will kick 40 goals.
The guy struggles to get double figure possession and the numbers you're talking would require an improvement of 300% in his game.

I'm a fan of Lennon and like all Tigers I hope he kills it starting from 2017 onwards, but we have to realise that not all high picks make it and especially at Tigerland. Look at the Lids draft what horrors we got after him , followed years later by JON , Hughes,Conca,TV etc etc
Some People on here need to chill out and accept that opinions may differ between posters . Didn't realise it was a prerequisite to have played some high level football to make a comment on a player??? FMD that would wipe out most posters on here including myself. The best argument you can have to make your case stronger is to find relevant evidence to disprove a posters comments and not to play the man. We are all victims of this at times and this is when threads get derailed.
Lennon is in the danger zone category where his career can go either way and this is why there is so much contention and doubt amongst us when his name pops up.
Anyway I'm putting on my boots in hope I will improve my game to reach a standard where I can make more qualified opinions on here.
Anyway go Ben bc you have the tools and it's all up to you.

I have actually supported your view until this post. I cannot see that Lennon has all the tools to become that damaging mid-size forward who will cement his place in the team by round three and will kick 40 goals.
The guy struggles to get double figure possession and the numbers you're talking would require an improvement of 300% in his game.
That was sarcasm buddy!
But we are supposed to be sheep, according to some, and just baa baa along.

That was sarcasm buddy!
But we are supposed to be sheep, according to some, and just baa baa along.
I was aware of that!

Seriously cannot understand why when someone puts forward an opinion doubting the value and prospects of a player that they are lambasted and called negative. That adds nothing to the actual debate. It is the same posters over and over again that do the labelling and are worse with their constant badgering of the supposed negative poster. Put forward your arguments and stop with the personal attacks. Win the debate if you want to call it that, on the content of what you post.

I feel Lennon does not get enough possession and the likelyhood of this changing is virtual nil. Can I ask those who believe Lennon will make it how this possession rate will increase dramatically? Especially as he has shown a poor level of fitness and a distinct lack of pace for AFL so far.

As stated before "I hope to God I am wrong"

Last edited:
I was aware of that!

Seriously cannot understand why when someone puts forward an opinion doubting the value and prospects of a player that they are lambasted and called negative. That adds nothing to the actual debate. It is the same posters over and over again that do the labelling and are worse with their constant badgering of the supposed negative poster. Put forward your arguments and stop with the personal attacks. Win the debate if you want to call it that, on the content of what you post.

I feel Lennon does not get enough possession and the likelyhood of this changing is virtual nil. Can I ask those who believe Lennon will make it how this possession rate will increase dramatically? Especially as he has shown a poor level of fitness and a distinct lack of pace for AFL so far.

Answered it in the same line mate :p

I was aware of that!

This is actually the issue. There is no winning or losing of debates on the internet.... You (collective not singular) just keep arguing... and arguing and arguing. Therefore you can't win or lose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was aware of that!

What is the purpose of your post? Your all over the shop like a mad womans' breakfasts. Complaining about others complaining is a bit mental? Is it not?

Is this Ben Lennon guy the same one that had glandular fever and a bunch of injuries in 2016???

Or is he the one with solid pre-season's under his belt and he's just a lazy prick?

I can't tell the two apart. :huh: They look the same to me. Just one had a really tough 2016 and one sat back drinking tinnies and eating fudge sooking it up.

For my 2 cents, I think the frustration with him is he was a high pick and we want him to be a top line player. He looks like he should have been selected latter which would change our expectations of him (and maybe his own expectations of himself?).
He probably will never be a consistent 20+ possession player, but if he can get 15+ a game, average over a goal a game and contribute with 1 percenters he can be a valuable part of the team.

Some feedback for you as a person.

In order to genuinely and honestly have a productive debate or discussion with people holding differing views to your own, the first thing you can do is present your own argument without emotion, insults, accusations, finger-pointing, and general rudeness.

Just present your argument and let the strength of your argument win the debate for you, it's as simple as that.

I've argued that in addition to his injuries and illness, Ben's physical limitations for his position offer a better explanation for his slow start to his career compared to the perception that he is lazy and isn't trying hard enough.

I've made the point that he hired a running coach during his holidays.

I've made the point that he's going above and beyond with his training and came back in excellent condition on day one for preseason.

You have failed to address my argument.

Instead, you've gone off on a tangent about people not sticking to the argument.

Is it his conditioning though? The glimpses of him with this offensive game looks good. All the criticism has been on his ability run out games and put on defensive pressure coming from his fitness base.

If that improves he could actually fulfil his potential. Whether that's a the clubs fault or his I don't know

For my 2 cents, I think the frustration with him is he was a high pick and we want him to be a top line player. He looks like he should have been selected latter which would change our expectations of him (and maybe his own expectations of himself?).
He probably will never be a consistent 20+ possession player, but if he can get 15+ a game, average over a goal a game and contribute with 1 percenters he can be a valuable part of the team.
Fair point
I'd also say there is added frustration with Ben because he wanted out this and last year
It sticks in my craw a bit so I hope he can come good...and be good consistently

Fair point
I'd also say there is added frustration with Ben because he wanted out this and last year
It sticks in my craw a bit so I hope he can come good...and be good consistently

Must be some industry view of him though for there to be very little interest in him in the trade period.

well if its true that Ben is just lazy, then I think we can trust Leppa to give him a good rocket up the arse if he needs it, greg mellor came accross as too nicey nice

Didn't Leppa almost belt one of his players?

Is this Ben Lennon guy the same one that had glandular fever and a bunch of injuries in 2016???

Or is he the one with solid pre-season's under his belt and he's just a lazy prick?

I can't tell the two apart. :huh: They look the same to me. Just one had a really tough 2016 and one sat back drinking tinnies and eating fudge sooking it up.
No, the fudge, tinnies and sooking was me, easy mistake too make.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back