Player Watch #7: Ben Lennon

Remove this Banner Ad

Combine results are irrelevant
Why are Combine results irrelevant ?

They seem to be extremely relevant when drafting players and basically are a profile of what tools a player has, For a HFF that has such poor speed and verticle leap as well as a limited engine its extremely damning and then you throw in to the equation thet he has a sens of self entitlement and inability to work - Well let me just say that he should have been a 2nd round selection

Screams project player

Well, evidently you're right about that.

If I want to help you improve the way you debate, then I chose the wrong method, by lecturing you.

Clearly I didn't influence you at all.

Shame for you, because my argument is golden and you chose not to do anything about it.

Do you see no irony in telling off goldie for making things personal, by attacking him personally?

This is the second poster you have personally attacked this week. Maybe time you took your own advice?

Lennon can't attack, then run hard to maintain team defensive structures, then run to make space on the rebound to win possession... because of his physical ability, not due to laziness. In my opinion.
That's a description of a lack of tank, that's something he can improve with hardwork.

Do you see no irony in telling off goldie for making things personal, by attacking him personally?

This is the second poster you have personally attacked this week. Maybe time you took your own advice?

Where did I attack him... I don't think I did, did I? I tried passing on some good knowledge to him because I know what I'm talking about.

I think it's a shame if someone is unwilling to listen to good advice.

You've pointed out to me that I came across as attacking him, so that's good advice for me and I'll listen to you for that.

That's a description of a lack of tank, that's something he can improve with hardwork.

Only to an extent, there is a limit otherwise anyone could use hard work to become a marathon runner, but everyone has limitations they must learn to overcome and if they can't overcome those limits, it's unfair to label them "lazy".

I agree he can improve and I've said he's doing more work than the average footballer, due to his holiday training - I'm rebutting the group-think that he's lazy.

They seem to be extremely relevant when drafting players and basically are a profile of what tools a player has, For a HFF that has such poor speed and verticle leap as well as a limited engine its extremely damning and then you throw in to the equation thet he has a sens of self entitlement and inability to work - Well let me just say that he should have been a 2nd round selection

Screams project player
Do you even know what a project player is? There players who are athletically gifted but have errors in there game. Firstly Lennon is not that slow, he is one paced but certainly not slow. Secondly as a HFF when you finish in the top few for clean hands and kicking and can average over 20 possessions a game, despite athletic limitations it's understandable what recruiters see in him. http://m.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-20/ben-lennon

Do you even know what a project player is? There players who are athletically gifted but have errors in there game. Firstly Lennon is not that slow, he is one paced but certainly not slow. Secondly as a HFF when you finish in the top few for clean hands and kicking and can average over 20 possessions a game, despite athletic limitations it's understandable what recruiters see in him. http://m.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-20/ben-lennon
lol project player can be anything - He is a project with certain talents but lacking in any other ways
it could mean an athletic beast that is new to the game or a player thats talented in the game yet no ability to perform to game plan or any other aspects of the game that becomes a project for the team to correct.

There is not only 1 type of project

There's an epidemic of rage now days, just the slightest of things said and people getting their nickers in a twist, so upsetting... it's the true PC scourge.

I'm all for robust discussion, and civil discourse & 'dishing it out', so long as those dishing out can take it back. Surely the tough guy can take it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I knew there was a reason Richmond never wanted to look at Greg "Diesel" Williams.

Shyte 20m time, bottom 1%
Shyte vertical leap, bottom 1%
Shyte agility, bottom 5%
Shyte 3km, bottom 1%

Lucky we never recruited such a shyte player who only became a Brownlow medalist, premiership player, team of the century player, 4xAA, 2x AFL MVP etc etc...

Lucky.

I knew there was a reason Richmond never wanted to look at Greg "Diesel" Williams.

Shyte agility, bottom 5%
Shyte 3km, bottom 1%

Lucky we never recruited such a shyte player who only became a Brownlow medalist, premiership player, team of the century player, 4xAA, 2x AFL MVP etc etc...

Lucky.
For every Diesel Williams there are 1000's of slow players that cant run jump or chase.

But thats besides the fact, Diesel was an inside midfield player that didnt require these types of traits , Lennon is a HFF that does need to lead,jump

For every Diesel Williams there are 1000's of slow players that cant run jump or chase.

But thats besides the fact, Diesel was an inside midfield player that didnt require these types of traits , Lennon is a HFF that does need to lead,jump
How about things like reading the ball in the air, using your body, being a one grab player, kicking the ball accurately and weighting it well? Aren't they important for a HFF?

Lennon is not a classic half forward, Edwards is 1.82 cm, Deledio was 1.88, Lloyd is 1.82 also. Comparing players such as these to Lennon is silly. Lennon was 1.88 when drafted and is close to 1.90 now. He is a better mark and user of the ball then all those excluding Deledio.

Lennon is not a classic half forward, Edwards is 1.82 cm, Deledio was 1.88, Lloyd is 1.82 also. Comparing players such as these to Lennon is silly. Lennon was 1.88 when drafted and is close to 1.90 now. He is a better mark and user of the ball then all those excluding Deledio.

So what is he !!!

He certainly isnt a wingman - No pace or stamina
He isnt a Midfielder -

He is a classic HFF / Medium foward that lacks pace/agility & leap as well as little defensive pressure

What do you see him as ? which player closest to him that we can compare him to

How about things like reading the ball in the air, using your body, being a one grab player, kicking the ball accurately and weighting it well? Aren't they important for a HFF?
All these things mean nothing in todays game if you are not doing the defensive aspects of the game as your never going to get on the park to display these things as the coaches wont play you !

The attributes you mention are of a classic full foward from the 80's & 90's

So what is he !!!

He certainly isnt a wingman - No pace or stamina
He isnt a Midfielder -

He is a classic HFF / Medium foward that lacks pace/agility & leap as well as little defensive pressure

What do you see him as ? which player closest to him that we can compare him to
He will be a good player next year

Screams project player
Was he only ever in the first round predictions because we were the only club that were looking at him at that high a spot?

He will be a good player next year
I really hope so !

I hope the penny has dropped and he actually pulls his head in and works his ass off to get fit and firing and learns to play in the midfield, He cannot just be a HFF

The way i see it for lennon to have a long and successful afl career he must have or develop the ability to go through the midfield similar to Stevie J and contribute

Shyte agility, bottom 5%
Shyte 3km, bottom 1%

Lucky.

So you must be suggesting then we move Lennon to midfield....because I said 'for his position'!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back