Player Watch #7: Daniel Butler

Remove this Banner Ad

dhI.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great set shot for goal, but struggles on the run..
Lacks footy smarts and needs a subtle kick up the backside.

Said in another thread his running patterns on Thursday night were very ordinary bordering on getting cheap ball much of the time. Has little intensity at the moment and I think even just before his injury last season he was playing like this. Jack Higgins is showing up big time. Looks to be playing in survival mode.

Would rather we played Aarts, at least he'll run hard at every opportunity.

Said in another thread his running patterns on Thursday night were very ordinary bordering on getting cheap ball much of the time. Has little intensity at the moment and I think even just before his injury last season he was playing like this. Jack Higgins is showing up big time. Looks to be playing in survival mode.

Would rather we played Aarts, at least he'll run hard at every opportunity.
I've been saying this for the past year. He plays well when we do. I know that is the lot of small forwards up to a point, but he almost never gets down and dirty and scraps for a ball or wins his own ball. It is always running on to a lose ball or a handball receive. I've been really disappointed with Rioli so far this year, but at least he goes in and wins his own ball and wins one on ones, even if he is out of form and not doing it often. Like Rioli he is out of form, but he needs a spell in the VFL to get some urgency in his play. Bolton to replace, who is playing well in the midfield at the moment and has earned a chance.
Not sold on Aarts, but he is a tough nut so he might be worth a go.

Last edited:
Problem is none of Rioli, Castagna or Butler are playing well.
Since we lost Stengle, we also dont have that much depth in the VFL.
Baker, Bolton, Aarts? Probably cant bring in all 3. Maybe one at most.

Wouldnt be against dropping Butler and giving Bolton a week. Rioli stays because we need his class and ball use even if he doesnt get it enough and Castagna only just got back deserves another run.

Problem is none of Rioli, Castagna or Butler are playing well.
Since we lost Stengle, we also dont have that much depth in the VFL.
Baker, Bolton, Aarts? Probably cant bring in all 3. Maybe one at most.

Wouldnt be against dropping Butler and giving Bolton a week. Rioli stays because we need his class and ball use even if he doesnt get it enough and Castagna only just got back deserves another run.
Baker would be the first one id try if Butler was dropped . my gut feel is they wont be dropped since Jack will be Out , dimma wont want a complete front half make over

Remove this Banner Ad

Back