Player Watch #7 Harry Cunningham

Remove this Banner Ad

xPfwLtlb.png

Harry Cunningham

Player Profile

Harry Cunningham is one of the quickest players at the Sydney Swans, is clean by hand and foot and can play in defence, on a wing and in the forward line. The 2012 draftee was in blistering form over the opening seven rounds of the 2019 campaign, before injury limited him to just two games over the remainder of the season, so expect him to be hungry for a comeback 2020 year. Draft history: 2012 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 93; 2012 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney) selection No. 107

Harry Cunningham

DOB: 06 December 1993
DEBUT: 2012
DRAFT: 2012
RECRUITED FROM: Turvey Park (NSW)/NSW-ACT U18/Wagga (NSW)

Last edited:

Always liked young Harry, should achieve his highest finish in the Bobby I would think.

I think most have senjoyed his solid season. Head over the ball, shutting down Oppo like Dawk smith and using the ball with skill and intelligence. I for one was pleasantly surprised.

Harry Cunningham is also expected to require surgery to overcome an issue with his groin.
“Harry unfortunately had a couple of incidents in that game that he injured his groin on the same side that he injured earlier this year,” Cameron said.
“His whole groin region has now become unsettled and unstable, so it is now something we feel we are going to have to operate on in order to stabilise it.”

:huh:

Harry Cunningham is also expected to require surgery to overcome an issue with his groin.
“Harry unfortunately had a couple of incidents in that game that he injured his groin on the same side that he injured earlier this year,” Cameron said.
“His whole groin region has now become unsettled and unstable, so it is now something we feel we are going to have to operate on in order to stabilise it.”

:huh:

Well that diminishes his trade value somewhat.

He's been unlucky with injuries over the journey has poor Harry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would have been OK if he had chosen to leave but he will certainly come in handy to keep around.

His best is really solid and valuable. Not just for his pace and tidy disposal. He chases and tackles, he can play all over the ground, he can lock down on a wingman (I'd like to see anyone with a better record of shutting down Isaac Smith in the league) and is a great runner.

The part of his game, to me, that is still spotty appears to be mental. When he's at full fitness and full confidence, he's shown he will back himself to out pace opposition players to the ball and to back himself to be a creative offensive player. Not just be a cog in the larger team wheel, he'll run hard to create extra in attack and be less fearful of making a defensive error. Unfortunately, it seems to me, he became such a defensively disciplined player that there were many times when it would appear he'd voluntarily trail in his opponent to the ball to make sure he stuck the tackle rather than use his natural gifts to be first to the ball and hopefully make the play happen. He started coming out of that more in 2018 (his best year for us easily imo) and was trending upwards before he got hurt earlier this year. I just hope he can recapture that confident style of play in 2020 and beyond.

This is fantastic news. I never wanted to lose him. And considering we are lacking in mid 20 yo's with experience the last thing we'd want is to lose more. Thanks for sticking round Harry

Sometimes you lot remind me of Eeyore, even when you get good news you find something to be miserable about.

Thanks for the loyalty and sticking around, Harry. Here’s hoping the surgery all goes well and your firing on all cylinders come the preseason.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back