Player Watch #7 Harry Cunningham

Remove this Banner Ad

xPfwLtlb.png

Harry Cunningham

Player Profile

Harry Cunningham is one of the quickest players at the Sydney Swans, is clean by hand and foot and can play in defence, on a wing and in the forward line. The 2012 draftee was in blistering form over the opening seven rounds of the 2019 campaign, before injury limited him to just two games over the remainder of the season, so expect him to be hungry for a comeback 2020 year. Draft history: 2012 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 93; 2012 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney) selection No. 107

Harry Cunningham

DOB: 06 December 1993
DEBUT: 2012
DRAFT: 2012
RECRUITED FROM: Turvey Park (NSW)/NSW-ACT U18/Wagga (NSW)

Last edited:

wocbond

Debutant
Aug 18, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Yankees Huddersfield Town
What is the setup with him. I note he is on the Rookie list. Does that mean that he cannot be used at AFL level unless he replaces a senior list player who has been placed on the long term injury list ?

Swanee

All Australian
Jun 23, 2009
Darwin until I can get cruising funds together.
AFL Club
Sydney
Re: Cunningham

What is the setup with him. I note he is on the Rookie list. Does that mean that he cannot be used at AFL level unless he replaces a senior list player who has been placed on the long term injury list ?

Already happened!!!

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/131190/default.aspx

"The opportunity for Cunningham to be promoted to the senior list came when Alex Brown was placed on the long-term injury list just under two weeks ago."

RichosGuns

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2006
your house
AFL Club
Richmond

I just saw his profile on the Sydney website. Pick 92 in last year's rookie draft? Wow. Who is this guy? Anyone have a bit of a background on him as to start round 1 after you were picked up in one of the last picks of the rookie draft is a pretty impressive feet. :thumbsu:

He played a few games for GWS last year and since he was in their zone everyone assumed that he was going to be picked up by them. We aren't told the exact reasons why but when GWS indicated to him that they were going to bypass him (my guess is salary cap reasons due to the heavy front-ended contracts of some of their experienced players) the Swans invited him to pre-season training and he impressed them so much they pre-selected him as a NSW zone pick (hence the really low draft pick) ahead of some of their own academy players.

He definitely deserves a spot given his form in all the pre-season games, he's kicked a fair few goals by running to the right spots at the right time. He also has genuine pace which adds to his appeal given the relatively slowness of most of the rest of the team.
He's probably only in the team because Rhyce Shaw hasn't recovered from his back injury and he'll most likely get squeezed out when Shaw, O'Keefe and Armstrong return.

Bobbykirkkelly

Debutant
Feb 18, 2011
AFL Club
Sydney

Cunningham hails from the Wagga region and was I believe coached at some stage by Paul Kelly and I can't get over how much he looks like Kelly particulary from behind. He even seems to run in a similar manner to kelly. If he is even half as good as Kelly we will have done really well. His team in Wagga is Turvey Park which from memory is where Ricky Quade came from.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jdobs95

Team Captain
Apr 9, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Port Melbourne (VFL)

Just hand him the #14 already! he runs, kicks, marks, handballs, everything like Paul Kelly, this kid will be a real talent!

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies

he's certainly not disgracing it. coming along very nicely imo

Perfectly summed up. Bird is doing everything asked of him well as a tagger and is coming along nicely as an inside ball winner and runner now that he has built a tank.

Don't know what more you could ask of him really. Will be in the leadership group soon IMO.

reidfactor

Club Legend
Suspended
Mar 4, 2012
DEEP INSIDE ALTARBOY ROB'S HEAD!!
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
WOMENS BEACH VOLLEYBALL

Perfectly summed up. Bird is doing everything asked of him well as a tagger and is coming along nicely as an inside ball winner and runner now that he has built a tank.

Don't know what more you could ask of him really. Will be in the leadership group soon IMO.

bird is a very important cog to the teams future success, looks like the puppy fat has gone..

i rate him highly:thumbsu:

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
Yeh it seemed to take him a while to lose that extra bit of weight or at least to convert a bit of fat to muscle.

Can play a few different roles too. A tagger who can sit on a top midfielder from the opposition, a ball winner who plays offensively and a defensive forward who is capable of kicking multiple goals and limiting a top notch rebounding defender (like his game on Rob Murphy last year).

We've accidentally hijacked the thread to pump up Bird though. Cunningham has shown enough in his first 3 or 4 games at the club to convince me to give him a senior spot next year. Obviously the club will want to see much more from him, but he looks a beauty and an absolute natural.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Prince Harry looks a natural. Great pace too.

Now just quickly on Bird. He has had a full injury free preseason and he is shooting up the ranks. He'll be a mainstay of our club for years if he stays healthy. Huge player.

baja

Premiership Player
Dec 23, 2010
Bass Strait
AFL Club
Sydney
Tizzay7 started a thread bagging Eugine that included pumping Cunningham up, now in the Cunningham thread putting Bird down.. My Spidey senses feel a link.

something

Senior List
Dec 25, 2011
AFL Club
Sydney
Craig Bird is someone who has impressed me from day one, I think he would be a lot better of a player if it wasn't for that year he more or less sat out due to foot problems.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back