Player Watch #7 Harry Cunningham

Remove this Banner Ad

xPfwLtlb.png

Harry Cunningham

Player Profile

Harry Cunningham is one of the quickest players at the Sydney Swans, is clean by hand and foot and can play in defence, on a wing and in the forward line. The 2012 draftee was in blistering form over the opening seven rounds of the 2019 campaign, before injury limited him to just two games over the remainder of the season, so expect him to be hungry for a comeback 2020 year. Draft history: 2012 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 93; 2012 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney) selection No. 107

Harry Cunningham

DOB: 06 December 1993
DEBUT: 2012
DRAFT: 2012
RECRUITED FROM: Turvey Park (NSW)/NSW-ACT U18/Wagga (NSW)

Last edited:

I think Cunningham is a very good player, but will be exposed against legitmate elite talent.
For example, he keeps just about every small forward very quite, but Jack Higgens and Toby Greene give him a lot of problems. Imo, this is just a case of those two player been some of the best players in the game.

Despite his difficulty with the elite of the elite (because let's face, Toby Greene is the best small forward in the game), he is super solid and still competes hard. Hopefully he get's a little more stingy vs Greene, but if he doesn't he's still a lock every week.

Enjoy tomorrow Harry

Turned into one of our most consistent players. Has done everything the coaches have asked, played wherever they've needed him to be and has taken the roll over from Smooch as our lockdown defender.

GWS loss they didn't nab him when they could have.

Turned into one of our most consistent players. Has done everything the coaches have asked, played wherever they've needed him to be and has taken the roll over from Smooch as our lockdown defender.

GWS loss they didn't nab him when they could have.
I thought earlier this year there was an interview with Harry acknowledging the help that Nick had given him.
But tired eyes 😩 & google is not my friend tonight, I cannot find the interview.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally I think Harry was a best 22 lock before he went to defence recently. He was consistent as a winger and wherever he was needed for a few years before this. Did have some injuries at one point which kept him out.

Personally I think Harry was a best 22 lock before he went to defence recently. He was consistent as a winger and wherever he was needed for a few years before this. Did have some injuries at one point which kept him out.
Agree 86. He's been very good on the wing for us but I think he's gone to another level down back.

Agree 86. He's been very good on the wing for us but I think he's gone to another level down back.
For a while he was virtually the only one who could kick a long entry to Bud's advantage. Of course that situation is much improved but Harry's accuracy is still a delight. I think he delights in the simplicity of his current role. And, along with Wicks and Heeney, he REALLY sticks his tackles.

Best 27. Renew for sure. Seems to have sharpened up after his bout with COVID.
He is too valuable to let go. At the peak of his powers. Played previously on the wing and HF where he found it difficult. (see my previous post that medium forward is the hardest position to fill). Seems to have found his niche at small defender. Has the extreme pace to get to and cover most situations. Manic. Lots of experience. Too valuable to let go

He is too valuable to let go. At the peak of his powers. Played previously on the wing and HF where he found it difficult. (see my previous post that medium forward is the hardest position to fill). Seems to have found his niche at small defender. Has the extreme pace to get to and cover most situations. Manic. Lots of experience. Too valuable to let go
Will all come down to contract offer. He's the sort of guy a few other clubs could do with.............

Exactly 358 days from the last post in this thread.

If he doesn't make it back into the squad I'm going to need a new avatar.
One of my favourites. If we don't keep him I'll be pretty annoyed. Just hit a rough patch of form, looked like he might come good, then got injured. Team has been in great form, with Fox and Florent playing the small/med defensive roles. Probably be playing in most defences at the senior level even on current form. Might still have a part to play this year, but an off-season to reset might help. His best is best-22, even if Fox and Florent are at their peak.

From Wagga originally, part of the Giants academy before us. Probably doesn't want to leave Sydney, but I guess Melbourne is the same distance from Wagga.

Last edited:
He wants to stay despite an offer from elsewhere - Let's hope Swans & Harry are able to work out a deal.

SWANS MAKE BID TO RETAIN FREE AGENT

SYDNEY has tabled an offer to keep free agent Harry Cunningham at the club.

It's understood Cunningham is determined to remain with the Swans, despite rival interest and a season in which he's struggled to work his way back into John Longmire's plans following a mid-year abdominal injury.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back