Retired 7. Isaac Smith (2021 - 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome to the hoops Isaac Smith

First official interview as a Cat

Speaking for the first time as a Geelong player, Smith said he was “up for the challenge” after making the move away from Hawthorn.

“It was a difficult decision and very hard (one to make),” he told reporters on Friday.

“I’ve probably had a few sleepless nights over the last three or four nights to be honest, the heart was pulling me towards Hawthorn, but in the end the head won.

“I’m up for a new challenge and a new journey and very excited to be part of Geelong, they’re a great organisation.

“This was the right decision for me and my family. Really in the end, there wasn’t much between Hawthorn, Melbourne and Geelong.

“Right now where I am in my life, I’m really looking forward to creating a new chapter and seeing a world outside of Hawthorn.

“It was just the right decision; my wife and I sat down and made the final call last night.”

Nice highlights package - as you would expect.

If he can get back to his career-average form, he will be in our best 10 or 15 players. If.
His run and goal-scoring power are as good or probably better than anyone we have. A level or two better than Tuohy, for example.

Given a modest contract and no trade required, its hard to argue against this pickup on its own merits.

I don't give a crap about the rivalry angle. I am too old to care about that if it gives us a better chance of a flag.

Cats legend

Absolutely!
He joins Gary Ablett Sr and Bill Brownless, as players who have had a shot for goal after the siren in a final to give Geelong the win.

I will continue forever and a day to hate this part of the layout.
New player at the club and his thread is tucked away in a corner. Should be front and centre on the main page.

I don't give a crap about the rivalry angle. I am too old to care about that if it gives us a better chance of a flag
Have to say I agree. Tigers winning 3 of 4 makes the old rivalries less relevant for me. They are fun but the flag is the goal first and foremost.

Smith seems a nice guy, good experience is welcome coming from Clarko. If our strategy is to grab old players (a direction to be debated in other threads) then he's as good a get as I can see. Look forward to watching him play for us.

Though I'd love to win a Grand Final against the Hawks one day.

Everyclub needs a long striding, high meters gained, left footed winger..... Great pickup on the cheap.

We are all in for a flag next year... I don't care about playing the kids.

I want a flag & once we get Cameron and Higgins over the line... Chris Scott has zero excuses.

This side needs to flag up next year!!!

Because the ass will fall out of it in about 3 years.... But if we can somehow get a flag out of it, it will be well worth it.

Flags don't come easy... Saints have 1 in 150 years.

We can win it next year for sure.

Because the ass will fall out of it in about 3 years....
why does chris scott give me Ross lyon feels?

Flags don't come easy... Saints have 1 in 150 years.

We can win it next year for sure.
Don't think so. The tigers wont be getting any weaker, and I just don't see an assembly of used-up players from other clubs winning us a flag. You need a huge amount of spirit to take the premiership out, and you don't build spirit and team loyalty by flying in past champions from other clubs all over the place. I don't think we have genuine team unity, and I don't think unity is achieved by bringing in blokes like Danger, Cameron, Higgins, etc. It takes years to build and develop, and it has to be player-driven.

Brisbane will get better next year. Port will probably still be around the mark. We will have a much weaker Selwood, Danger, Hawkins, Hendo, no Ablett, no Taylor etc etc.

Just can't see it happening for us. This was our last real crack at it, and we missed the shot we should've taken.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't think so. The tigers wont be getting any weaker, and I just don't see an assembly of used-up players from other clubs winning us a flag. You need a huge amount of spirit to take the premiership out, and you don't build spirit and team loyalty by flying in past champions from other clubs all over the place. I don't think we have genuine team unity, and I don't think unity is achieved by bringing in blokes like Danger, Cameron, Higgins, etc. It takes years to build and develop, and it has to be player-driven.

Brisbane will get better next year. Port will probably still be around the mark. We will have a much weaker Selwood, Danger, Hawkins, Hendo, no Ablett, no Taylor etc etc.

Just can't see it happening for us. This was our last real crack at it, and we missed the shot we should've taken.

Agreed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ASK ISAAC – QUESTIONS FROM GEELONG ADDY READERS

Olivia Clare: How was it for you when you were traded to Geelong at the beginning of the 2021 AFL season?

Fortunately for me, I was not traded. I was a free agent. So, I was able to move to Geelong without any restrictions. It was interesting, obviously Geelong and Hawthorn have a great history. Players that are involved in these types of moves, often suggest it is like any workplace. Although most changes in workplace are not front-page news.

You enter with a certain amount of trepidation and within a month is feels like you were always there. Not only have the Geelong FC embraced me, Shaun Higgins, and Jeremy Cameron but we also talk about how friendly and welcoming the whole town is.

Carly Davies: Which Isaac Smith kick for goal against Geelong was more iconic, 2016 or 2017?
I think 2016 holds the most value in terms of clubs/AFL promoting it and it seems to be the one front of mind for football fans. To be honest as a player you would love to kick them but as a professional sportsman you need to understand that you are not going to succeed 100 per cent of the time.

“I’ve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I’ve been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.”

I’m certainly fortunate that I have succeeded many more times playing AFL football than I have failed. I take great confidence out of putting myself in game winning situations. Round 2 this year worked out all right!

Lachlan D, 10 years old: Why did you move to Geelong? And, if you could choose any position on the field to play, what would you choose and why? What is your most memorable moment in football so far?
I chose Geelong because they are a great organisation with many people that I have huge respect for. We also choose Geelong because it is a great place to bring up a young family. My wife and I are both country people and Geelong certainly fit that bill, with its relaxed lifestyle and community feel.

John: Against West Coast last week you were a different team after quarter-time. What happened at that break that brought on the change?
We have been working extremely hard as a team over the last month and it’s great to see some of that hard work come to fruition. We thought the needle moved in the right direction against North Melbourne, but we were unable to convert many of the opportunities into goals.

The AFL season is certainly a war of attrition and never has a premiership been won in April. So I guess what I’m saying here is that we were confident in what we were doing, sometimes it just takes time to show on the field.

Cameron D, 8 years old: What is your favourite food? And what is your favourite TV show?
Anything South-East Asian and currently I am loving Godfather of Harlem with Forrest Whittaker.

Lisa: Are there any players at Geelong that you view differently now that they are your teammates?
There certainly is but I have always known deep down that 99 per cent of people involved in AFL are like minded and if you were working in the same organisation, you would get along quite well. Usually, it is the ones that frustrate you most on the field are the ones you would be best mates with.

Alexandra D, 6 years old: What do you like to do away from football?
I have a young daughter and I love spending time with her. I am also interested in certain businesses and love spending time doing that.

Kylie Clark: I must admit I thought it would be hard to barrack for you, but since joining the Cats and watching your interviews you are very likeable. How did you feel when the Cats fans were drowning out the boos from the Hawks fans on Easter Monday?
I did have a bit of a chuckle, but it was also lovely to hear the Geelong fans drown out the Hawks fans. You would think after 200 games and three premierships I might of get a cheer off them (wink face).

Lachlan: Away from football what have you enjoyed most about moving to Geelong?
I love how easy it is the access the beach and the world-class golf courses that are in the region. Also, how relax and friendly everyone is down here.

Heather Cooke: What is the most memorable moment you have had in you career?
I’ve been fortunate to have many moments that are memorable. Playing in Jarryd Roughead’s farewell game was special. Seeing what he dealt with at the back end of his career, it was amazing just to have him back out on the field.

Other than the friendships that I have/will form through football, what ill remember most is the big games and how excited the players, coaches and supporters are.

The three premierships were memorable as well. Hopefully, a couple more to come.

Matthew Field: Who is the toughest opponent you’ve played against?
Mark Blicavs. He used to tag me a bit. He is bigger, stronger and a few more things better than me. So, I always found it difficult to play on him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back