• Inside Midfielder

Votes: 89 41.8%
  • Forward Pocket

Votes: 124 58.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Certainly is a different look without Ziebell in the centre square.

I thought Dumont had a much better game in his absence. Swallow, too, was great.

Cunnington well down on usual output but having to go up against a midfield with Myers, Merrett, Heppell and Watson would blunt his influence somewhat.

More and more I wonder if we are better served with the time-honoured "put Jack deep in the 50" ploy. It has worked with Dangerfield and I see no reason why Jack, probably a more natural forward than Dangerfield, can't have the same sort of output. As long as he doesn't spoil Browny.

Certainly is a different look without Ziebell in the centre square.

I thought Dumont had a much better game in his absence. Swallow, too, was great.

Cunnington well down on usual output but having to go up against a midfield with Myers, Merrett, Heppell and Watson would blunt his influence somewhat.

More and more I wonder if we are better served with the time-honoured "put Jack deep in the 50" ploy. It has worked with Dangerfield and I see no reason why Jack, probably a more natural forward than Dangerfield, can't have the same sort of output. As long as he doesn't spoil Browny.
Posted exact same thing in the Swallow player thread.
Jack just seems to get in the way

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Found Ben Brown's partner for the next few years imo. Did a good job up forward. Shame he'll be suspended for a few games.

Should have been perma-forward since that Adelaide game in Hobart 3 or 4 years ago.

Scott really is a moron.

What would be the point of that when we would get slaughtered even worse in the midfield due to Jacks absence?

JZ at FF would end up with frost bite.

This is the reason I entertain trades for Rockliff &/or Miles.

What would be the point of that when we would get slaughtered even worse in the midfield due to Jacks absence?

The fact that you believe JZ is an effective midfielder is quite alarming.

His presence in the midfield is more effective than people give credit for.
Our midfield is poor across all aspects of spread, skill, pace, teamwork.

When Goldie was good he was able to cover up the weaknesses of our midfielders - now that he is gone they are exposed for all opponents to see.

Cunners, JZ, Dumont and Swallow are an 1980's midfield collection - even Brad recognises we need 'reinforcements' now.

How it has got to this after 8 years of Brad and the list management team is the question that needs answering.

Our midfield is poor across all aspects of spread, skill, pace, teamwork.

When Goldie was good he was able to cover up the weaknesses of our midfielders - now that he is gone they are exposed for all opponents to see.

Cunners, JZ, Dumont and Swallow are an 1980's midfield collection - even Brad recognises we need 'reinforcements' now.

How it has got to this after 8 years of Brad and the list management team is the question that needs answering.

Yep and its worse without JZ in there.

I'd have Dumont/Swallow and Cunnington and speed to spread in the midfield and JZ on the forward line.

But when Goldy was good we had Wells, Dal Santo and Boomer who all provided a bit of speed and spread. We had Cunners, Spitta, JZ and Wells at times all in the top 50 for tackling and Ben Jacobs tagging as well. Completely different structure that "seemed" to work.

Absolute rubbish. Ziebs has probably played less that 5% forward this year, nowhere near enough. You're showing either how little you know about football or how little you've actually watched. Our inside 50 count this year has actually been pretty good. It's the quality of ball that comes in that's been poor and Ziebs probably accounts for around 15-20% of that.

I see Ziebell's strengths as contested ball (20th in AFL), defensive pressure (16th in tackles), and is a reasonably good mark and set shot at goal.

The negatives are he isn't quick, and often kicks the ball long without even looking at his options. He has the highest turnovers at the club with 5 per game (16th in the AFL), 8th highest clangers in the AFL, and his disposal efficiency is poor at 64.5%.

We have too many of these plodding midfielders that don't break lines. It may be an unfair comparison to Ziebell, but Treloar (who is slightly better with his disposal efficiency at 69%) averages 8 more disposals a game and averages more tackles, centre clearances, insides 50s, goal assists, and bounces. Treloar was breaking lines last night, and we need more players of his type than the Ziebell/Cunnington mould.

I see Ziebell as too slow and not good enough a kick to play in the backline, and would prefer to see him play more as forward, with occasional periods in the midfield. Whether that fits into our structure with Brown/Wood next year remains to be seen. Obviously we need to replace him in the midfield with a different type of player.

Ziebell would have been the perfect player in the 90s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back