• Inside Midfielder

Votes: 89 41.8%
  • Forward Pocket

Votes: 124 58.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess the point I was trying to make was that he is in pretty good company. Danger, Kennedy, Hannebery, Vince are all below 70%DE and we all think they're pretty good players. I see Hannebery hack it out of stoppages and wonder if the Sydney board are losing their minds in their GD thread the way we do. I know everyone's grumpy about everything right now but it's OTT.

At the same time, the very best in that group get up over 25 disposals and into the mid-70s DE%, which is where we should expect Jack to be aiming for. He absolutely has to lower his eyes and not overcook as many kicks. It's not far-fetched for him to add 4-5 effective disposals a game to where he is now.

The 'hack it forward' kick is something all mids do.

Jack does it a bit, but it's not the only way he kicks the ball.

This is an important point.

Jack averages something like 22-23 disposals a game, but he also averages ~5 clangers a game. It's comfortably the worst clangers as a percentage of disposals of any of the 'elite (if you want to include him in that category)' midfielders. He is effectively averaging 17 disposals that don't actively damage the teams chances a game, which is pathetic for a player that is supposed to be, and should be, a top midfielder. Of those elite players, only Dustin Martin averages more clanger disposals, but the difference is that he also averages ~32 disposals a game.

I have no issue with Jack's hack kicks that actually go high and long into our forward 50. The ones I do have issue with are the ones that go flat or off the side of the boot and straight to the opposition, which leaves us vulnerable on the counter. Or when he attempts to hack it when he is on the defensive side of the stoppage and it gets smothered or goes straight to the opposition and allows the opposition to walk out of the stoppage because all of our other players are on the offensive side of that stoppage. These types of things happen far too often.

The problem I have with Jack is that, unlike most other midfielders, his first instinct is to hack the ball. People go on about the likes of Hannebery, but guys like him and Cunners, their first instinct is to take the tackle and attempt to get their hands free. People also go on about the likes of Danger as a hacker, but with players like him, their first instinct is to burst from the stoppage and then kick it long. They also rack up significantly more disposals than the likes of Ziebell as well.

He's strong enough and big enough to play more in the mold of Josh Kennedy and that's how he should play. There's been too much of this rubbish that says it's structures and the players around him that make him hack the ball but that, frankly, is utter bullshit. Sydney have players free because they force the opposition to commit players to the man with the ball, which naturally frees up team mates in the stoppage. Their first instinct isn't to just hack the ball, but to win it in tight get hands free and then spread from the stoppage. I'd love to see Jack play more in that Kennedy style, I'd love to see him take the tacklers, get his hands free and then dish it off to the other midfielders who should have time because the opposition has committed to Jack. He can't do that though when his first instinct is to just hack it forward.

Clangers include free kicks against.

Jack is a good, honest player.

Like a throwback to the 80s which is admirable......but annoying at the same time.

Doubt how our accepting of flaws without consequences (as long as they play ok otherwise) has helped him get better either.

Last edited:

This is even more so for Spitta and Cunnington. They use hands regularly, Ziebell, not so much a quick release handball player.
You want Cunners using his hands as much as possible because he generally is elite in that area. You want Spitta using his hands also because his kicking is not at the level where you want him to be a distributor by foot .

You want Cunners using his hands as much as possible because he generally is elite in that area. You want Spitta using his hands also because his kicking is not at the level where you want him to be a distributor by foot .

It's unfair to belittle Swallow's kicking as being worse than his handballing.

Even though Ziebell only averaged 22.4 disposals, he averaged 15.3 kicks, significantly more than any other player we have, it highlights why he gained so many meters. I think he has to be smarter with his long kicks from the middle. I'd love to see the break down of long kicks in which we have retained possession vs the number of his long kicks which have rebounded and resulted in goals for the opposition. My gut says his long bombs from the middle help the opposition more than they do us.
Yea doesn't handball much

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Very likely to be named new Captain now Swallow has resigned under 'reset' etc.

If made Capt its an excellent honour, hope he steps up and delivers.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just name him already.
Yep.

If it's Jack, if it's JMac just f***ing name them and be strong about it.

Don't do half arsed bullshit, come out strong, loud and clear.

How much more weight would Jack's words have carried if:

Newly named North Melbourne Captain Jack Ziebell says 'As a team and a club our clear intention for 2017 is to play finals. As Captain I know I need to lead from the front. '

We have a tendency to spout wishy-washy nothingness.

Yep.

If it's Jack, if it's JMac just f***ing name them and be strong about it.

Don't do half arsed bullshit, come out strong, loud and clear.

How much more weight would Jack's words have carried if:

Newly named North Melbourne Captain Jack Ziebell says 'As a team and a club our clear intention for 2017 is to play finals. As Captain I know I need to lead from the front. '

We have a tendency to spout wishy-washy nothingness.
"Process." "Drip feed the PR machine."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back