Past #7: Jack Ziebell [Part II] - retires post-RFC game/280gm&183gl/6yr captain - Shinboner - assaulted post-RFC game& in hospital - get well soon JZ

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Unlike the consensus here that seems to be that there's no room for Jack forward or midfield, I think he can definitely play the mid sized utility role well.

However, one element that has crept into his game since the suspensions has been flailing for frees. Saw it a few times last year where he stood there looking at the ump with his hands up (yes Jack, we all agree that it should have been a free) and his man got out the back to provide an option, and it nearly happened again today but for the ball just nudging over the boundary line. Happened one or twice against Port too.

Toughness is your schtick, JZ, use it.

showusyacunningt

Premiership Player
Aug 17, 2010
doghouse
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Haleing goals
Dominant up forward? Do remind me about those bags of 5 or 6 - I must have forgotten.

What are we - round 8 - and your still going with the interrupted pre season excuse.

At stages he looked like the best forward on the ground last year. Poor conversion probably cost him a few bags.

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Short memories...

Obviously struggling with injury and/or an interrupted pre-season. He was dominant up forward at stages last year and is still a very good 1v1 player. I'll back him to come good.

No short memories here. Regardless of where he plays is a liability defensively.

As a midfielder he has never been able to get clean clearances away from the stoppages and had always been a hack it forward type. He had also never had endurance that is up to the standard of an AFL midfielder.

He is decent as a forward and that’s where he should be played.

No short memories here. Regardless of where he plays is a liability defensively.

As a midfielder he has never been able to get clean clearances away from the stoppages and had always been a hack it forward type. He had also never had endurance that is up to the standard of an AFL midfielder.

He is decent as a forward and that’s where he should be played.
Love him for his effort. Should not be Captain next year. If he wasn't Captain might make way for LDU or Ahern this week if they want to keep Taylor in. I don't see where he plays if we have no injuries

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone

His failings are representative of the side.

Effort tends to equal physicality in close particularly early in games.

Effort doesn't tend to equal hard unrewarded running to deny the opposition easy outlets particularly later in games.

Sep 11, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Plonk him forward and keep him there. Let him develop his forward game ffs

I don’t like seeing him constantly hack the ******* ball out of the middle straight to a opposition player. Then comes straight out, to a goal at the other end. He has legit gone into the middle and pushed the likes of LDU, Ahern etc out.

We ain’t winning too many games this year, why the * are we persisting with this midfield structure? Our captain is barely in our future midfield

We have been so bent on playing players out of position

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Another game, another Jack ziebell Captain's Goal shanked.

Do they keep stats on stuff like this? If so, 2019 could be the year a North player reaches one of those 'top of the rankings since this stat started being kept' lists.

From memory there have been at least four instances in the first nine matches in which he has missed a captain's goal in the second half.

How long is he contracted for? Oh dear.

Moti

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Almost any AFL midfielder with that level of involvement in the game would yield much better effectiveness on the game. No doubting Jack is a good footballer, but just doesn't have the class required.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Almost any AFL midfielder with that level of involvement in the game would yield much better effectiveness on the game. No doubting Jack is a good footballer, but just doesn't have the class required.

It's not class mate, it's pace.

Look no further than the beautiful pin point pass to Turner in the first quarter. When he has time he executes well.

Moti

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It's not class mate, it's pace.

Look no further than the beautiful pin point pass to Turner in the first quarter. When he has time he executes well.

No doubt his lack of speed is a big reason. But he doesn't have the midfielder's mind, a footballers mind for sure but that doesn't give him a strong ability to sum up midfield contests like others.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
No doubt his lack of speed is a big reason. But he doesn't have the midfielder's mind, a footballers mind for sure but that doesn't give him a strong ability to sum up midfield contests like others.

Defensively, he has a very good midfielders brain...........but that's because he's usually second to the contest.

He just wasn't born with pace.

He absolutely tries his heart out, so it's hard to single him out in the current circumstances.

The Butcher

All Australian
Mar 8, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Well it's a theory. But if it takes pace to hit targets under pressure, how do you explain Cunners/Mitchell/Diesel/etc?

It's not one thing, it's everything. He didn't come to us with the skills to dispose with poise under intense time/space pressure, and he won't leave us with them. sad

GarnerSmash

They tried to make me go to rehab
10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He didn't come to us with the skills to dispose with poise under intense time/space pressure, and he won't leave us with them. sad
But he will leave us with an extensive property portfolio.

Brad KPI achieved!

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
No doubting JZ's effort and desire to lead from the front - he has been a warrior.

However a change of captain (and change of the leadership group) will need to be part of the year end sweeping changes if we are going to get ourselves out of this mess.

59550851_844646302578816_2424078737057376716_n.jpg

... When the game is on the line, he wants the ball in his hands, and you want that from your captain

38% Winning record as captain.

Games decided by 10 points or less as captain. 4 wins 10 loses.

It's one thing to want the ball in your hands, its a completely different thing to get it and do something with it.

I’m going to be the negative campaigner to do this but the continual bombing it long inside 50 in that last quarter was detrimental to our chances of winning and went a long way to helping Sydney win.
If Stratton or Pendles butchered their ball like this I wonder how it would have been received.
Love his endeavor. But it’s just not good enough :(

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I’d be curious to see what opposition clubs thought his trade value be?

I honestly don’t think an opposition club would give us a pick inside 15 for him.
(Not that i’d be offering him up for trade).

Back