Past #7: Jack Ziebell [Part II] - retires post-RFC game/280gm&183gl/6yr captain - Shinboner - assaulted post-RFC game& in hospital - get well soon JZ

Remove this Banner Ad

with the right management, position and role definition, can play on for 3 more years.......if there is no soft tissue injury problem.

Not at all convinced on this defender thing.

Put him back up fwd asap

Too slow to play actual midfield minutes.
Too inaccurate to play forward and bump out a spot there.
Too shaky below the knees to keep feet and stay on his man when the play starts pushing toward the full back.

I said in the gameday thread, I'll reiterate, what do we do with this bloke if this year doesn't prove he can be at least one of these consistently.

Dreadful today. Dreadful.

He had 23 disposals, 5 marks and picked up the most metres for the side.

This WBP crap always gets blown massively out of proportion by complete football myopics.

The crap gets magnified by the same campaigners whining about his blunders whilst completely overlooking his good stuff.

As far as footy analysis is concerned, it's completely worthless.

These are the same sort of ****wits that whine about Turner because he doesn't satisfy them with goal tallies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That doesn't matter to the morons in the echo chamber.

Focus on Jack and ignore all the other stuff.

Was Jack our worst? No

But he was still shithouse.

To suggest near our best player is completely ludicrous, even for you

It’s going to be given at least half a season so I don’t see the point in complaining about it every week.

My biggest concern with him is him keeping his feet whilst defending.

Because it should end now.

ps; he's never kept his feet which has been a career problem.

It’s going to be given at least half a season so I don’t see the point in complaining about it every week.

If he actually ends up in a position where he can play as attacking midfielder, then he'll be a potent weapon.

He's going to be on the back foot most of the time with the current horrendous setup.

I can see it ending sooner than that: If he can't rapidly improve on his one on one defending, based on todays showing which is hopefully an anomaly, then he's in trouble. Keeping in the contest will also be an issue, but IMO it's far lesser than just conceding a mark inside 50. Not all the stats for the game appeared to be recorded (defensive 1on1 win rate etc) so I can't make too informed of a comment, but by my eye he wasn't great in that regard. He has some weapons with his kicking, physicality and (intercept)marking, but the most vital part of being a defender is preventing easy shots on goal and opposition coaches will try to exploit him if he doesn't improve. Possibly they might try use him as a sweeper coming in hot off the back of the square at bounces, let him get a head of steam up and either get the opportunity for a handball receive then kick it 60 or just crunch the poor opposition fool coming his way.

Not all gloom and doom on todays count, I think I mentioned it in a different thread, because he did a lot right today too and defensively the entire backline as a unit was poor so I would expect some easy improvement across the board. Other than 3 or 4 quite bad disposals he generating a lot of decent drive, including a few quick and smart handballs to a runner after taking a mark in the back half. Only one particularly crunching intercept attempt, but I expect we'll see more of those as well. He'll be a menace in that regard once he gets the timing right on whether to go or stay.

No idea how the change of role might work when all is said and done, could genuinely go either way. Most interesting positional change we've seen in a while I reckon. Could make or break Jack, and the coaches.

I can see it ending sooner than that: If he can't rapidly improve on his one on one defending, based on todays showing which is hopefully an anomaly, then he's in trouble. Keeping in the contest will also be an issue, but IMO it's far lesser than just conceding a mark inside 50. Not all the stats for the game appeared to be recorded (defensive 1on1 win rate etc) so I can't make too informed of a comment, but by my eye he wasn't great in that regard. He has some weapons with his kicking, physicality and (intercept)marking, but the most vital part of being a defender is preventing easy shots on goal and opposition coaches will try to exploit him if he doesn't improve. Possibly they might try use him as a sweeper coming in hot off the back of the square at bounces, let him get a head of steam up and either get the opportunity for a handball receive then kick it 60 or just crunch the poor opposition fool coming his way.

Not all gloom and doom on todays count, I think I mentioned it in a different thread, because he did a lot right today too and defensively the entire backline as a unit was poor so I would expect some easy improvement across the board. Other than 3 or 4 quite bad disposals he generating a lot of decent drive, including a few quick and smart handballs to a runner after taking a mark in the back half. Only one particularly crunching intercept attempt, but I expect we'll see more of those as well. He'll be a menace in that regard once he gets the timing right on whether to go or stay.

No idea how the change of role might work when all is said and done, could genuinely go either way. Most interesting positional change we've seen in a while I reckon. Could make or break Jack, and the coaches.

Absolutely agree 100% opposition coaches will be doing everything they can to exploit him. I honestly do not know how they’re going to make it work.

Some very difficult decisions to be made this year. I’m glad I’m not making them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back