Past #7: Jack Ziebell [Part II] - retires post-RFC game/280gm&183gl/6yr captain - Shinboner - assaulted post-RFC game& in hospital - get well soon JZ

Remove this Banner Ad

I sometimes see it like that but also the reverse.

I can picture Jack joining that team with Swan, Pendlebury, Thomas et al and really finding his place.

Conversely I can picture Steele coming to Arden Street and teasing with good skills and good game but never really pushing it to the next level, like another Shaun Atley.
Surely you kid, Steele coming to Arden st during that time, would’ve been told to bide his time in the reserves, only to play two games as a back pocket at 22 years of age, to be dropped out of frustration, that he didn’t take his moment.

In JZ's defence 2 broken legs in his late teenage years were significant detractors for him as were subsequent changes to rules which didn't allow his physical style of play to be rewarded.

However JZ's hack style of kicking out of the middle, turnovers and choking in front of goal reside outside of the 'bad luck' category.

Refusal to keep his feet in the contest has always been his worst trait imo.

Like he plays on roller skates.

I reckon to some extent this is correct mate.

Let's never forget that the AFL basically introduced rules to quell his human wrecking ball technique, and it affected his natural game significantly.
Yep. The bloke copped 4 weeks, wasn’t it, for going for the ball and cleaning up a Carlton bloke. Ridiculous at the time and ridiculous now.

Refusal to keep his feet in the contest has always been his worst trait imo.

Like he plays on roller skates.
His best trait is putting his body on the line... When he went hammer N tongs at the “unsociable” utensil smokers, smashed hodge up a beauty was pure bliss. He’s as hard as a cats head.

Edut; actually, could have been Lewis... made that dog earn the pill..

His best trait is putting his body on the line... When he went hammer N tongs at the “unsociable” utensil smokers, smashed hodge up a beauty was pure bliss. He’s as hard as a cats head.

Edut; actually, could have been Lewis... made that dog earn the pill..

There has never been any question on his courage or hardness.

I also think the softening of the game so much has hurt one of his best attributes.

Unlucky in that regard.

There has never been any question on his courage or hardness.

I also think the softening of the game so much has hurt one of his best attributes.

Unlucky in that regard.

Zurhaar probably has a similar game to Ziebell from a hardness point of view. Today’s game doesn’t seem to have hurt him.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Zurhaar probably has a similar game to Ziebell from a hardness point of view. Today’s game doesn’t seem to have hurt him.

I'd say he's still a fair way off from delivering on his hype.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well said Snake some posters will look for any angle to bag a player.

I'm not bagging Zurhaar either, I just see 2021 as a very important crossroad of his career.

The time for teasing is over. The perception of him will change one way or the other by the end of this season.

Kept his feet. Ran in straight lines. Good.
Wasnt the worst display. Hope he builds from here. Sadly I doubt hell be around to see any success so its kind of sad most of his highlights happened 9-7 years ago.

Last edited:
I thought Jack was a pleasant surprise today. Considering the ease in which their mids could run at times, he was great. Nobes, was astute in understanding Jack's reading of the play. I'd never have thought of him as a HB.

Hmmm, was decent with ball in hand and good when the ball was in the air.

Struggled when the ball hit the deck, when he was forced to defend one v. one.

Jury still out for mine.

If McKay, Corr, Tarrant, Young, Bonar and LMac are down there, I'm not sure he is providing much value.

Had the highest disposal efficiency and meters gained for the game. For both teams. Not particularly creative I thought, but he set up a lot of other blokes and it was great to see. Kept it simple. Taking the majority of the kickouts helped, and while they also weren't creative I don't remember him turning it over to some fast bastard 45 meters out who then sends it sailing over his head.

Overall did much better than I expected, on all fronts, and I'm rapt for him. It won't all be smooth sailing back there but he's off to a bloody good start.

For all his lack of pace, endurance and everything else Jack has never struggled being where the ball is.

Really liked his game and he seems to have revived the kicking penetration that eluded him the last few years upfield.

Hope nobody underestimates his presence and personality as a leader in the side even in the losses. You can never understand how rudderless things might get in any situation until you remove the strong characters.

Had the highest disposal efficiency and meters gained for the game. For both teams. Not particularly creative I thought, but he set up a lot of other blokes and it was great to see. Kept it simple. Taking the majority of the kickouts helped, and while they also weren't creative I don't remember him turning it over to some fast bastard 45 meters out who then sends it sailing over his head.

Overall did much better than I expected, on all fronts, and I'm rapt for him. It won't all be smooth sailing back there but he's off to a bloody good start.
I couldn't have put it better myself.

I had serious doubts about Jack in defence and if yesterday is any indication it looks like he's found his niche.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back