Past #7: Jack Ziebell [Part II] - retires post-RFC game/280gm&183gl/6yr captain - Shinboner - assaulted post-RFC game& in hospital - get well soon JZ

benbanjo

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I just cant believe he does the same BS kick multiple times every game.
Needs to have the captaincy taken off him so he can earn a game just like everyone else should.
Zero composure. Perfect conditions for a big body like him today, he he cant even get the clearances on a wet narrow ground.
He plays the occasional good game to go along with some average game, but too often he is a liability.

Its funny how things pan out. When Brad was coach if we played terrible it was the coaches fault Now Shaw is the coach it is the players fault in a lot of posters eyes Not having a go at sure for one minute just an observation.
Na, I always blamed Scott and JZ.

We should have traded Jack when he had currency. Now, we’re stuck with him.

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This discussion has been had many times - JZ has been the elephant in the room for 2-3 years now.

At some point people will accept the reality that he is an average footballer - I have been banging on about this for a while now.

If we want to progress as a club we need new leadership on the ground and off the ground.

We have dealt with the latter and need to deal with the former at the end of the year.

We need to do it respectfully to JZ - he deserves that - but it must be done.

The way forward is for Jack to say....I need to concentrate on playing good footy and therefore am handing over the captaincy...

The alternative would be to let JZ be captain for the next 4 years and be automatically in the 22 - that is a recipe for mediocrity and I know Shaw and Rawlings won't put up with it.

I understand its a hard decision but it needs to be made at year end.

Jun 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This discussion has been had many times - JZ has been the elephant in the room for 2-3 years now.

At some point people will accept the reality that he is an average footballer - I have been banging on about this for a while now.

If we want to progress as a club we need new leadership on the ground and off the ground.

We have dealt with the latter and need to deal with the former at the end of the year.

We need to do it respectfully to JZ - he deserves that - but it must be done.

The way forward is for Jack to say....I need to concentrate on playing good footy and therefore am handing over the captaincy...

The alternative would be to let JZ be captain for the next 4 years and be automatically in the 22 - that is a recipe for mediocrity and I know Shaw and Rawlings won't put up with it.

I understand its a hard decision but it needs to be made at year end.

You’re going to be disappointed

I'm so disappointed that such a great Shinboner has not become smart enough to iron out the negative aspects of his game after about a decade at the highest level.

And also so disappointed that he's not a captain who can go up a level in game, do inspirational things and drag us back into a game we're losing.

I agree with this bloke.

Jun 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Well if that's the case we all be disappointed until JZ gives it away - unless of course you are in the cohort of membership who likes where we are at.

Regardless of what you or I think, Jack will be Captain next year. No way Rhyce will change that.

Ps: my opinion is he’s not a great Captain or an overly smart player.

Sep 11, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
When our captain is on, we are on

Unfortunately he has a huge influence on us as a team. It’s the way it is

Yes the coach first then the leaders second. He is cooked

I don’t know, earlier he was sensational though so the drop has been immense.

We resolved the issue when we pushed him forward, we are now reinventing old problems.

He needs to spend the pre-season working on his goal kicking so he is a reliable shot on goal, he can be thrown in for stints in the middle if we need him but we need to work on a system where our mids work together, spread and use eachother and move the ball with run and carry and launch into out inside 50 so we can go deeper to a dangerous spot or hit up a leading forward in a good position. Someone who just blindly bangs it to boot is never going to be part of a functional consistent midfield group.

We resolved the issue when we pushed him forward, we are now reinventing old problems.

Agree. It's a balance related issue like many others. With JZ forward then Garner, Zurhaar, Wood becomes too many 3rd tall types for mine. It works sometimes, but won't work too often unless all four of them are capable of playing more upfield. I think this is an issue that is solveable off season though. It's frustrating to watch JZ in the middle banging it forward but it says just as much about the rest of the midfield group IMO - they could barely even get their hands on the ball, at least Ziebell can find it.

We won’t be an elite side as long as he is in the midfield. He also has shown this year that he is too slow to be a full time forward.

Terrible decision maker, terrible accountability.

It’s an indictment on the club that he STILL can’t run out a game to save himself.
Yep he can't play forward, too slow for the midfield, with Scooter retiring I'd put JZ into the backline to play on the big body forwards.

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
With a fully fit squad and with the likes of LDU and Bailey expected to be ready for Round 1 next year JZ is borderline best 22 - he is not in our first or second midfield rotation and he has shown he is just not good enough to be a full time forward.

At best he could potentially play the 'small' defensive forward role - ie the role that Turner plays now.

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
JZ should get a tattoo of ‘I went to the 150 year celebrations and captained a team that kicked 1.8.14’

The only way he rewrites the history books from here is being honest with himself.

No stone unturned Jack.

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
JZ should get a tattoo of ‘I went to the 150 year celebrations and captained a team that kicked 1.8.14’

The only way he rewrites the history books from here is being honest with himself.

No stone unturned Jack.

It bothered me that he virtually copied word for word what Rhyce said in the press conference. Carve your own path, JZ.

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It bothered me that he virtually copied word for word what Rhyce said in the press conference. Carve your own path, JZ.
It’s time for actions not words.
Times coming for a close, I think he’s gotta realise that the club is not going to give, the team, everything they need.
As a leader he needs to help all the young guys prepare, he needs to leave no stone unturned.
Otherwise get out of the way for someone who will.

Last edited:

R00StaR

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2003
Asgard
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Agree. It's a balance related issue like many others. With JZ forward then Garner, Zurhaar, Wood becomes too many 3rd tall types for mine. It works sometimes, but won't work too often unless all four of them are capable of playing more upfield. I think this is an issue that is solveable off season though. It's frustrating to watch JZ in the middle banging it forward but it says just as much about the rest of the midfield group IMO - they could barely even get their hands on the ball, at least Ziebell can find it.

Agreed we'd have to many, but he needs to play more forward with the odd pinch hit in the middle. I cant see him being replaced as captain, we just dont have anyone putting their hand up just yet other than Taz (i doubt Cunners wants it).

Perhaps Garner can get right and play more midfield minutes, that would help with the 3rd tall issue, but that said we still desprately need a gun midfielder - which if we get reduces the need for Garner/ JZ in the middle. Its a bit of a pickle really, i love these guys and they're good solid players but our balance isnt right. In dire need of a gun mid + continued LDU, Simpkin, TT improvement.

Billy Not Really

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2018
Licking windows at the back of the bus.
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Thought his post-game interview was pure cliche trite trash.

It was about as bad as that time Jamie Macmillan said "We don't need to win, but we'd like to"

Apr 7, 2013
Cairns
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Atlanta Falcons
JZ is a forward/midfielder and could excell there with a better midfield. His pressure is good, his marking excellent but his once reliable kicking for goal is ******* deplorable now...

Work hard in the off season Jack and kick the goals you are supposed to kick.

We need a genuine small forward. Brown, Larkey, Ziebell, The Zuur and genuine small that can impact contests and kick goals is the balance we need imo

Not sure where it leaves Wood, Garner and the like.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back