Past #7: Jack Ziebell [Part II] - retires post-RFC game/280gm&183gl/6yr captain - Shinboner - assaulted post-RFC game& in hospital - get well soon JZ

Remove this Banner Ad

Always annoys me to hear Archer mentioned as "not the most talented bloke".

He wasn't Adrian McAdam but was hardly some hardworking plodder.

Excellent aerially including over the top, could kick bags of goals, outbody bigger opponents, kick bicycle-kick goals, use it well etc.

His toughness masked his ability in the perception of some supporters, a bit like Cunnington now.

One of the best exponents of the 20-metre pass the club has had, on either foot.

Jacks goal kicking is officially a serious issue. We do well to hide it when we win and other forwards convert but he is a terrible set shot from 30-50 meters out.

Who knows maybe him being captain is placing extra pressure or an unnecessary burden. I honestly can’t see what he brings to the team outside of a big body at the contest.
He isn’t quick, he doesn’t apply manic pressure, he cannot play in the middle to save himself and always gets killed on the spread and the only thing to save him was his lovely kicking at goal early days which we all know has all but deserted him.
He had the first and last shot at goal in the 2nd quarter and missed both. They came either side of Aaron Hall burning three shots at goal too. That’s just criminal for a leader. What example is he setting?
Not to mention the double grabbing of the footy that has creeped into his game. Someone like him just has to be clean. He isn’t afforded the time and space to fumble and regather. It’s a real concern.

He fixes that and the kicking and he then provides reliability, assurance and a calming influence on an inconsistent side. But can he?

I know he was drafted in 2008 but modern footy has gone past him. We’re still stuck playing him in forward roles that really aren’t there for the side at the moment. Massive concern for the club and I wonder what Jack thinks deep down.
Would be killing him not being able to contribute but it’s no fault of his own.

He leads by example in every facet of the game except with regard to the ability to execute the basic fundamental of the game.................kicking the ball in a relatively straight line.

It's getting to the point where it's going to define his career.

He has the respect of the playing group and when he is on he is a gun. But unfortunately he gets lost in games and has no impact. His kicking for goal is also hit and miss, you would think boomer been goal kicking coach would be drilling him

Still think he is fine - as a 3rd tall - lead up CHF outside the kicking for goal. If he was kicking 50% more of those he should over the last 18 months he'd be looking fine. That said, he's not and it can't continue on this path. Definite yips.

Is our fearless leader best 22? He is by no means a midfielder, and imo he is a liability in the forward line too
I came here to suggest he may need to be dropped after that performance. The bigger issue was being belted on the inside. We really really need cunners, like how all teams need their bull in there..
JZ wasnt a lone, wtf did Higgins do? Mason, Atley.. be throwin a pair of gloves in the middle today. Okay boys, time to punch one another

I'm genuinely perplexed by his kicking.
Everything looks good on his set shots but the result rarely is.
He looks a beautiful kick but just has lost the radar around goals.
Swallow used to cop flak for his kicking limitations, Jack's are more bizarre. Like his third quarter OOF. He struck it well and it was a well executed drop punt in air, but landed in third row.
And if we play him on ball he tends to just throw it in the boot.

THis is where an inch gets taken a mile, probably by lurkers who have a past investment in this notion.

There were 12 worse than him yesterday.

If he kicked straight he would have been approaching vote territory.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swallow used to cop flak for his kicking limitations, Jack's are more bizarre. Like his third quarter OOF. He struck it well and it was a well executed drop punt in air, but landed in third row.

Remember when he was a kid? He was a prodigious kick.

5 years ago, he was my go to, i’d put my life on it type of kick for goal. Is it the knee?

Wasn’t the only one to miss goals yesterday so I think unfair to single out. Hall, Brown in first qtr, Goldy a couple, whole game was diabolical. He also led out of the centre with 2 brilliant clearances to start the match before he was moved forward.

Plenty of others much worse - both senior players and kids were very poor. Alley had a forgetful 200th, Higgo couldnt shake his tag, Browns kicking wasn’t great, Hall...exhilarated and frustrated in equal measures.

Wasn’t the only one to miss goals yesterday so I think unfair to single out. Hall, Brown in first qtr, Goldy a couple, whole game was diabolical. He also led out of the centre with 2 brilliant clearances to start the match before he was moved forward.

Plenty of others much worse - both senior players and kids were very poor. Alley had a forgetful 200th, Higgo couldnt shake his tag, Browns kicking wasn’t great, Hall...exhilarated and frustrated in equal measures.
Hall is a disgrace at kicking for goal.. blind turn to kick it over his should with runners heading to goal? Unforgivable

They aren't the Captain of the side - JZ is.

If he is to play as a permanent forward and be captain he has to soak up the pressure and kick straight - he needs to lead from the front in this area - not freeze up like a 20 game player.

I am, this is jacks thread, if I wasnt banned from Halls id be in there too.. higgins was stinking too

Righto.

I'm surprised that Jack didn't play more midfield, as he was actually the spark that set us up early.

I figure scamper had to keep him up forward because he painted himself in to a corner at the selection table.

He's fully aware of how poor his kicking is, I recall a past season recently where he addressed how his set shots were off when playing as a forward, and did practice with Brown after training.

His set shots did not improve.
And they still haven't improved.

In fact they're the same.
So something is rotten in the state of denmark with Jack's kicking and its gone from a niggling issue, to a big issue to now a plague on this team.

Players like him and Aaron Hall should not miss 15-40 metre shots, heck get a good ratio of set shots from 50m, they're very capable of doing so.

Unbelievable how bad players are in this day and age at set shots, its simply remarkable.

Is our fearless leader best 22? He is by no means a midfielder, and imo he is a liability in the forward line too
If Jack can't kick straight and he can't apply sufficient pressure to help lock the ball in our forward line, then he must be a consistent marking avenue to goal. Right now he is, sometimes.

Swallow couldn’t kick over 40m by the end of his career.

But Jack was once a beautiful kick of the ball, reasonable set shot and had laser like 40 pass. He could drill them low and hard. It bizarre territory.

It’s almost like he took the archer didn’t have great skills, I don’t have great skills, and ran with it as a mantra to his captaincy.

which I don’t get, because archer was always reliable, he never really wasted a possession.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back