Past #7: Jack Ziebell [Part II] - retires post-RFC game/280gm&183gl/6yr captain - Shinboner - assaulted post-RFC game& in hospital - get well soon JZ

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn’t go that far but his issues are certainly in his head, something needs to snap him out of ‘I can’t do it attitude’.
We should have traded him when I first said, He had currency then.

Unfortunately he’s a liability in the middle and with his poor kicking he’s a liability in the forward’s. He wouldn’t get a game in many other teams so not sure why he’s getting a game with us.

Last edited:

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Jack has a technical flaw in his kicking.

He’s far from a beautiful kick.

He kickes across the ball at a fairly acute angle without a big follow through, so it’s not very noticeable. But he doesn’t kick through the ball anywhere near in a straight line.

Will never be a good kick on goal with that action with a decent volume of shots.

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Jack has a technical flaw in his kicking.

He’s far from a beautiful kick.

He kickes across the ball at a fairly acute angle without a big follow through, so it’s not very noticeable. But he doesn’t kick through the ball anywhere near in a straight line.

Will never be a good kick on goal with that action with a decent volume of shots.
The strange thing about his kicking was when he was accurate at goal, I would’ve said he had a flawed action, he never really followed thru, as he sort of drilled it.
But it worked for him.

Looks like they tried to correct it to a more traditional kick, and the result is he can’t do it.

Last edited:
He's best 12.

He'd be best 6 if he could kick straight.
Spot on. Sadly mate we probably need a few others to come on if we are ever to challenge again. Third or fourth forwards aren’t the be all end all of premiership teams as we know.
I came here to suggest he may need to be dropped after that performance. The bigger issue was being belted on the inside. We really really need cunners, like how all teams need their bull in there..
JZ wasnt a lone, wtf did Higgins do? Mason, Atley.. be throwin a pair of gloves in the middle today. Okay boys, time to punch one another
He started in the middle and attended a few center bounces but when Kennedy started dominating Jack was sent to him with minimal success. Then he was pushes forward once more. The Jack of 2012-14 would have been able to cover Cunningtons absence but yesterday he was non-influential on the contest.
THis is where an inch gets taken a mile, probably by lurkers who have a past investment in this notion.

There were 12 worse than him yesterday.

If he kicked straight he would have been approaching vote territory.
He gets judged harder because he’s the captain. Just like Swallow was for his loopy kicks, Boomer for his one way running and Simmo was for his helicopters.
Captain sinks with the ship mantra.
As you say, he drills his goals and we are lauding him for winning us the game and standing up when it mattered. That’s what good captains do and yesterday he didn’t.

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Once Larkey comes back, JZ (the player - not the Captain) is the obvious guy to make way.

We would have BBB, Larkey and CZ as the third tall. Having JZ as the 4th marking forward is not required - and having JZ (the player - not the captain) as the 7-8th mid is also not needed.

This is an issue for a few weeks time - not this week.

It will help a lot if JZ kicked a bag against the Hawks or Dogs over the next 2 weeks - otherwise this might get awkward come August.

New_Roo

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Once Larkey comes back, JZ (the player - not the Captain) is the obvious guy to make way.

We would have BBB, Larkey and CZ as the third tall. Having JZ as the 4th marking forward is not required - and having JZ (the player - not the captain) as the 7-8th mid is also not needed.

This is an issue for a few weeks time - not this week.

It will help a lot if JZ kicked a bag against the Hawks or Dogs over the next 2 weeks - otherwise this might get awkward come August.

Where do you have wood in this... presumably benched too... I think he makes a good 3rd just not enough impact for a 2nd

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Where do you have wood in this... presumably benched too... I think he makes a good 3rd just not enough impact for a 2nd

Wood is not part of the plans if we had our best 22 available - we have a glut of forwards on the list.

Zurhaar is well ahead of him as the 3rd 'tall' and JZ will play because he is captain.

Wood is getting a game at present due to Larkey being out.

New_Roo

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Wood is not part of the plans if we had our best 22 available - we have a glut of forwards on the list.

Zurhaar is well ahead of him as the 3rd 'tall' and JZ will play because he is captain.

Wood is getting a game at present due to Larkey being out.

Wood played last season with zurhaar jz and larkey in the team so that doesn't make sense

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Say what you will, when the game was starting to bleed open you could SEE Jack lift and try to will the side on. That's why he's captain.

Not disputing there are myriad issues that have crept into his game but he's still one of the main blokes crashing through with strong marks (where was the 200cm bloke with telescopic reach at those moments?) or barrelling in halving or winning contests when the game is on the line.

I don't know if Jack is our next premiership captain or will simply help shape our next premiership captain but strong leadership is a very underrated commodity. One of those things, like a good TV host, you don't notice until it's not there.

He plays every week for mine but his role and output need to get cleaned up to benefit the team. He's a devastating 3rd or 4th forward on his day.

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Wood played last season with zurhaar jz and larkey in the team so that doesn't make sense

Exactly - and how did that work out for us? Too top heavy, not enough defensive pressure. They tried to push him up to the wing and that didn't work.

It's about getting the right balance across all sections of the ground and we have work to do to get that right.

New_Roo

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Exactly - and how did that work out for us? Too top heavy, not enough defensive pressure. They tried to push him up to the wing and that didn't work.

It's about getting the right balance across all sections of the ground and we have work to do to get that right.

Personally thought we did ok with it... beat both Collingwood and Richmond with that structure... 3 talls and the other 3 are the pressure.... gws seem to go alright with 3 talls...agree do need smaller to compliment them though which gws have but we don't

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Say what you will, when the game was starting to bleed open you could SEE Jack lift and try to will the side on. That's why he's captain.

Not disputing there are myriad issues that have crept into his game but he's still one of the main blokes crashing through with strong marks (where was the 200cm bloke with telescopic reach at those moments?) or barrelling in halving or winning contests when the game is on the line.

I don't know if Jack is our next premiership captain or will simply help shape our next premiership captain but strong leadership is a very underrated commodity. One of those things, like a good TV host, you don't notice until it's not there.

He plays every week for mine but his role and output need to get cleaned up to benefit the team. He's a devastating 3rd or 4th forward on his day.

Well, we need to get him to be 'devastating' like making him one out against a small defender mismatch.......

It does when you consider we tried to trade him at the end of the season.

FWIW I think JZ, Zurhaar & Wood is way too many of those mid / 3rd tall types. And whatever Jack's faults with goal kicking at the moment or in his general game you'd rarely wonder whether he could have given more effort each game. If it's a battle between the two of them it's not exactly a contest.

New_Roo

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It does when you consider we tried to trade him at the end of the season.

FWIW I think JZ, Zurhaar & Wood is way too many of those mid / 3rd tall types. And whatever Jack's faults with goal kicking at the moment or in his general game you'd rarely wonder whether he could have given more effort each game. If it's a battle between the two of them it's not exactly a contest.

Agree we have one too many of those type in the team....

benbanjo

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne

He does many good things, unfortunately as most of us already know, he undoes much of that good work far too often, with silly hack kicks or basic skill errors, which he should have worked out by now. Off thee top of my head i can think of 4 times he butchered the ball with little or no pressure on the weekend, at least 3 of the 4 should have lead to a regulation goal.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Too slow, too unfit and poor decision making make him a bad choice as a midfielder.

Too slow, too undersized, poor decision making and the inability to impact the scoreboard make him a poor choice as a forward.

Other than a bit of grunt, he is bringing absolutely nothing to the table this year. Tazz should have been made captain this year as its blatantly obvious the game is passing him by at a rate of knots!

amaz199

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He is completely devoid of confidence to do anything remotely more advanced than the basic contested ball give.

It is actually kinda sad since his youth years showed so much potential.

We used to talk about this guy being one of THE blokes to line up from 45 to smash it through the big sticks effortlessly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back