Past #7: Jack Ziebell [Part II] - retires post-RFC game/280gm&183gl/6yr captain - Shinboner - assaulted post-RFC game& in hospital - get well soon JZ

Remove this Banner Ad

Hurt me seeing him on the pine in the last quarter almost dejected at not being able to contribute.
But his preseason was marred by calf problems, he came into round 1 severely underdone and hurt his medial ligament and the last two weeks running he has been jogging around poorly conditioned and has done his hammy now.
Three different injuries. All leg concerns.

I honestly am shattered for him. I grew up and matured at a similar timeline to Jack and he was meant to be one who would lead us into contention and signal our next period of dominance. He was destined for great things.
But the game is cruel and footy is cruel and sadly I can’t see where he fits in going forward.

Give the Captaincy to Robbie for a couple of years before Jy takes over.
His time as captain from 2017-20 just hasn’t worked out the way we wanted.
Change is needed.

Last edited:

Hurt me seeing him on the pine in the last quarter almost dejected at not being able to contribute.
But his preseason was marred by calf problems, he came into round 1 severely underdone and hurt his medial ligament and the last two weeks running he has been jogging around poorly conditioned and has done his hammy now.

I honestly am shattered for him. I grew up and mature in a similar timeline to Jack and he was meant to be one who would lead us into contention and signal our next period of dominance. He was destined for great things.
But the game is cruel and footy is cruel and sadly I can’t see where he fits in going forward.

Change is needed.

I’m shattered too
I’ve got his number on the back of my gurnsey

I have a suspicion that the captains role is taking a toll on him mentally. it can actually affect a lot of players

His body is likely shot from the crash and bash style he's played. I actually recall people on here early in his career saying he needs to play with a little more self preservation.

He could still contribute as a 3rd tall as he's pretty good one-on-one and he's a technically sound tackler, but his disposal and kicking for goal have been woeful.

So he was a selfish campaigner then?

Makes that performance even worse that he didn’t have the leadership to know he wasn’t hurting us by playing injured.

Check yourself, mate.

I’ve admired Jacks desire and determination over the years. But his kicking has deteriorated over the years - that’s undeniable. Now his body is letting him down - his inability to impose himself on a game now has become plain as day.
And now he is trying so hard to impact a contest, he is becoming clumsy and reckless.

if anyone here genuinely thinks he should be captain next year, well, you’re wrong.

I’ve admired Jacks desire and determination over the years. But his kicking has deteriorated over the years - that’s undeniable. Now his body is letting him down - his inability to impose himself on a game now has become plain as day.
And now he is trying so hard to impact a contest, he is becoming clumsy and reckless.

if anyone here genuinely thinks he should be captain next year, well, you’re wrong.

He was never the quickest bloke, or the naturally fittest.

However he can barely get airborn these days, try’s to work defenders under the ball and cheat out the back on every one on one. Gives away a free more times than not trying it.

Trailing off the back of Sicily by 20m in the 3rd was embarrassing.

He’s athletically cooked. Completely.

Shaw’s first big test and not an easy one for a player not yet 30.

Watch him start concerntrating more on adjusting his game style and working more for preservation, using proper skills etc. once he relinquishes the captaincy. He may even improve.

I think the role is taking its toll on him because from day one he was expected to be a battler type captain, and that's not something a player who isn't naturally the most athletic can sustain for very long.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He needs try and reinvent himself.

Playing battering ram isn’t helping the team one bit at the moment.

The games not about collision footy anymore. It’s about being clean and making the right decisions.
Smashing into the opposition doesnt work when they return serve. Opponents are meeting our challenges head on and responding steadfast

I honestly am shattered for him. I grew up and matured at a similar timeline to Jack and he was meant to be one who would lead us into contention and signal our next period of dominance. He was destined for great things.

Change is needed.
All well and good, however he's kicking is what lets him down time and time again. you cant use injuries as an excuse for butchering the ball without any direct pressure on you. When he marked the ball and kicked it straight to Sicily i wasn't even surprised, it happens far too often.

Last edited:
If he's not missing regulation clutch goals, he's fumbling the ball like it's a bar of soap, and the combination of our s**t house forward delivery and Jack's lack of leg speed simply can't tolerate this margin of error. He must take his chances.

He's 29 and at the cross roads.

Last edited:
So he was a selfish campaigner then?

Makes that performance even worse that he didn’t have the leadership to know he wasn’t hurting us by playing injured.

agreed.

the quote from rhyce was he put himself on ball after he had done his ankle.

this isn’t the 1980s and you can’t inspire will like that anymore. We were effectively playing with 17 blokes on the field until he went off and it certainly showed!

Give him a month or two to get his body right. If he can't get himself back to a reasonable physical standard for a third tall forward by that stage then a tough call will need to be made.

I think Jack knows it too. His look on the bench yesterday was one of a bloke going through serious introspection.
I think you are spot on - I stiull think he wasn't quite right when he came back. The hammy tweak might give him a few weeks to recover more. Must be a lot of pressure on the Cap to get back on the ground but not when you cannot contribute.

I’m shattered too
I’ve got his number on the back of my gurnsey

I have a suspicion that the captains role is taking a toll on him mentally. it can actually affect a lot of players

You might not believe this but I've got his picture next to my bed. I'm still prepared to make the hard call, and the call should have been made 3 years ago.

introspection

WTF do you know about introspection?

I remember listening to L.Hodge talking about playing older, one of the things was, he had to lose at least a kilo off his younger playing weight, each year above 30.

I think Jacks in that category now, he’s not fat, but needs to drop a few kilos to cover the ground better, also less stress on his joints. Otherwise he’ll keep getting niggling injuries, which will in turn effect his game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back